« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting interior trim kits
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Fitting interior trim kits

I am considering buying an aluminium interior trim kit for my FL2. I know where to get one new and cheap so price isn't the problem

The problem is I have very little DIY/maintenance skills so is there anyone who has fitted one of these kits before? I know they come with fitting instructions but I have little patience with stuff like this, I have got visions of some fiddly plastic bit snapping off Laughing

Any thoughts people? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #100476 1st May 2011 4:53 pm
blacklr

Re: Fitting interior trim kits

The Doctor wrote:
I am considering buying an aluminium interior trim kit for my FL2. I know where to get one new and cheap so price isn't the problem

The problem is I have very little DIY/maintenance skills so is there anyone who has fitted one of these kits before? I know they come with fitting instructions but I have little patience with stuff like this, I have got visions of some fiddly plastic bit snapping off Laughing

Any thoughts people?

I installed my internal trim, no requirement to remove the existing. Just stick it over.

Post #100483 1st May 2011 6:12 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

blacklr wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

Any thoughts people?

I installed my internal trim, no requirement to remove the existing. Just stick it over.

How difficult was it? And when you say 'stick it over', is it adhesive based as opposed to 'clicking' into position? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #100485 1st May 2011 6:16 pm
blacklr

The Doctor wrote:
blacklr wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

Any thoughts people?

How difficult was it? And when you say 'stick it over', is it adhesive based as opposed to 'clicking' into position?

the trim set comes with double side tape, just remove & stick on. Are you referring to these type of internal trim? I hv painted all the trim set to white.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #100486 1st May 2011 6:22 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Yes mate. Thats the sort but I won't need to put one around the gear leaver as that is already aluminium finish.

What about the bit of trim next to the ignition slot, must be a bit tricky faffing with double sided tape there? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #100487 1st May 2011 6:29 pm
blacklr

The Doctor wrote:
Yes mate. Thats the sort but I won't need to put one around the gear leaver as that is already aluminium finish.

What about the bit of trim next to the ignition slot, must be a bit tricky faffing with double sided tape there?

nah!! Is simple!! The set should comes with a intruction sheet. Also, there will be two long pcs comes with the set. Just take the one that fits. You mentioned "cheap" for the sets? How much did you paid for it?

Post #100494 1st May 2011 6:54 pm
Junior

England 

Don't forget there are 2 types the old stick on top accessory type and the new one that does clip on and off,
I bought a pixel aluminium effect one which was no use to me Evil or Very Mad

Post #100501 1st May 2011 7:37 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

blacklr wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

What about the bit of trim next to the ignition slot, must be a bit tricky faffing with double sided tape there?

nah!! Is simple!! The set should comes with a intruction sheet. Also, there will be two long pcs comes with the set. Just take the one that fits. You mentioned "cheap" for the sets? How much did you paid for it?

Not purchased yet but I have seen them on eBay for £60 or £65 I think from Taunton LR parts shop. I will buy once they answer my question about the item which includes the same thing Junior thought of in his post above. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #100502 1st May 2011 7:57 pm
blacklr

The Doctor wrote:
blacklr wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

Not purchased yet but I have seen them on eBay for £60 or £65 I think from Taunton LR parts shop. I will buy once they answer my question about the item which includes the same thing Junior thought of in his post above.

I would go for the stick on type but the finishing looks cheap though. I won't mind as I intend to get it respray. Anyone here brought those click on type? Is the quality as good as the original?

Post #100505 1st May 2011 8:52 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Sorry folks, it all looks a bit NAF to me, stay with the original design, after all LR spent shed loads on achieving it! Each to their own.....or lack of it! JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #100527 2nd May 2011 12:33 am
walsherz

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

The stick on ones come with 3M double sided tape already fitted so that they fit the mouldings / contours of the dash and stick properly. You get some sachet's with wipes in to clean the dash first that help things stick properly. Careful where you wipe these as they can leave marks on the dash.
I dont know which kit you've looked at but mine are the brushed aluminium original LR ones which dont match the gear lever surround as thats chrome, still just sticks on top.

Got mine for £42 from main stealers via ebay Thumbs Up

Post #100596 2nd May 2011 6:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1