Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Heavy Steering at low speed and whine from steering pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Hi Nick & Bob.
I will be attempting the pressure return pipe swap over tomorrow, I now have all the items I need including the transfer fluid pump, I would have tried today but I had a big service to do on a friends R40 diesel, so plan is fresh and early tomorrow hoping all goes well with removal, thank you for your input cheers Arctic

Post #367185 22nd Feb 2019 10:24 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Thumbs Up FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #367200 23rd Feb 2019 8:44 am
Arctic

Hi Bob.
Thank you for the thumbs up, well after I finally got to work on the FL2 real life got in the way first part of the morning.

Fl2 up on axle stands engine cover removed, turbo plastic tube removed as I am going to replace the top hose from the pump due to the corroded joint.

Wheel off the working through the wheel arch fuel pipes out of the way, and I was greeted with a rusty torx bolt, which I knew right away was going to give me trouble, so some plus gas let that soak, while I got the tools round me I thought I may need.

Jack & axle stands

Plastic cover over steer rack boot

The torx bolt that holds the plate to the steering pinion, as you can see rusted

I will jump forward a few photo's so you get the drift as to why I will be continuing tomorrow, which after I finish I will start my own thread will all photo's

broke the pipe for more access to the fubard torx bolt.

Note the time of this photo and the one that I broke the pipe fair to say it took me a few hours to remove the torx bolt,

An hexagon bolt will replace it, why would you use a torx bolt in an area like that, who thinks these items up when designing a car ?

So that is where I am up to for now until tomorrow cheers Arctic.

Post #367243 23rd Feb 2019 9:49 pm
Arctic

Hi Sorry for delay in reporting back, I got it all sorted out last week end which was a great contrast in weather compared to today raining, once I had cleaned all the area and taken the new pressure steering pipes apart as I decided to use only the pipe I need for the repair, I did this so not to disturb the other pipe which is routed round the coolant header tank etc.

Once pipes were fitted back I used the old reservoir & the new one combined to flush out any old fluid left in the pipe work, once flushed and the new reservoir fitted topped up bleed the systems by turning the steering & the wheels which were of the ground to get any air out.

A few photo's below but I intend to do a separate thread on what I did and how the job went, which to be honest was not as easy as i thought it would have been.

New top power steering pump hose as od one was corroded and stuck together fast.

Torx bolt which I personally hate

Tease the pipe union apart from the pump.

Remove the pipe from the engine bay

Old & new side by side, note the corroded joint this would and did not come apart.

new joint used for the part the rubber hose connects too

added to the new bracket with the fixed joint

Bolted into place with a new 6 side bolt and a new jubilee clip for the rubber hose.

pipes clamped back together so they are secured.

View from the top of the engine bay looking down to the steering pinion.

New reservoir fitted and bleed

Turbo hose re-fitted with a jubilee clip which I find better to remove than the spring clips

So far all good after a week of driving about cheers Arctic.

Last edited by Arctic on 19th Mar 2019 1:57 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #367679 3rd Mar 2019 2:43 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

What sort of miles has the car done. its one of the first at 2007. Good write up Thumbs Up FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #367681 3rd Mar 2019 2:50 pm
Arctic

What sort of miles has the car done. its one of the first at 2007. Good write up Thumbs Up

Quote:

Hi Bob.
The Tambora Flame as just reached 111,000 I have had it since March 2017, I have had the wheels refurbished, all new brake discs & pads, 5 oil changes as I change the oil every six months on my cars regardless of mileage, I used to have the FL1 HSE manual.

This year I intend to change the gearbox oil, diff oil, heldex filter etc I have a new spare alternator, I picked up cheap, same for the starter motor even though I changed the contacts & plunger on the original starter when I removed to do the belts, as i had no paper work for them being done, used gates belts and water pump etc

Flame at night

My FL1 just before i passed it on to a friend 85,000 miles

I plumbed for the 57 plate for the colour if they did the colour in an SD model I would most certainly purchase one asap, I have the HSE model everything is working as it should.

Post #367684 3rd Mar 2019 3:14 pm
j00ppis

Finland 
PAS FLUID COLOR

one question.

Should the PAS fluid be GREEN? long time ago when i owned FL2.
When we did PAS fluid change whit my m8 2007 MY Freelander 2, PAS fluid was green.

Post #367758 4th Mar 2019 5:20 pm
Arctic

Yes the FL2 PAS fluid is green as I found out after I was given the wrong type at Halfords, Landrover original fluid is LR003401.

The fluid also as a date expiry which I did nt know until I was sent some which was out of date, I got it replaced.

Post #367780 4th Mar 2019 6:22 pm
NA1959

United Kingdom 

Excellent summaries of power steering issues! As usual I’ve just developed a minor weep of fluid today! Spots On driveway!

More time and money to keep it on the road

Post #368644 18th Mar 2019 7:54 pm
Mikkos

Finland 

Hi all,

Similar symptoms here, only difference is that I get the whining sound only when turning right. And that's only with warm engine, first few minutes it's quiet. No heavy steering either, assistance has not failed at least yet.

I suppose it might be good to flush the system and replace the reservoir or does anyone happen to know any other cause for the "right turn only" -whine which is best heard at the base of the steering column in the drivers footwell?

Many thanks,

#edit - 2007 2.2 TD4 AT in question -

Post #373059 4th Jun 2019 10:01 am
RRBlue

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Could I ask a question about the whine itself.

Was your experience a whine like a strangled cat (not that I have ever strangled one) or like a wolf howling in the distance.

I have the wolf howling in the distance which gets louder with engine speed. No specific change with steering and the steering seems ok.

Post #381051 10th Nov 2019 8:40 pm
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

More of a zombie groan for me, left turn only, only at slow speeds and going uphil at a decent incline.

Have noticed I've got red fluid. Want to swap for LR stuff. Any advice on swapping fluids? Thinking the 2 reservior method as shown, but put through extra fluid to flush out the red/green mixing togther.

Post #381110 11th Nov 2019 8:08 pm
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

So flush done to get rid of the red stuff... reservoir had already been replaced recently, so had to vary the how to slightly. Nothing new here, basically the same as the replacement reservoir video, but if it's of help to anyone who wants to flush but doesn't need a new reservoir...

Would recommend jacking up front to start, makes it easier to turn wheels with engine off.

1. Unclip the Reservoir from the mount to give some room.
2. Place small container under the reservoir
3. Disconnect the small line from reservoir (push in button and wiggle it loose). Disconnect large line. Fluid will drain out into container. Empty container and replace under reservoir.
4. Remove reservoir and wash out with petrol to be sure it's clean. it was. filter good. let dry
5. Block the small central hole into the reservoir. I found a nitrile glove pulled tight over the tube and a cable tie was fine. Dont cable tie above the ridge as it'll be hard to pull off at the end.
6. replace the large line to the reservoir. fill reservoir with fresh fluid.
7. turn the L piece left in the small line to face down into your oil catch container.
8. start turning the steering wheel back and forth from full lock to full lock. Watch the reservoir level through the windscreen/bonnet gap, stop when it's almost empty.
9. Empty Container. Replace under reservoir. Fill Reservoir.
10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 till you're getting clean/correct coloured fluid out. Keep going till reservoir is low again.
11. pull off your plug on the reservoir inlet. Turn L piece on small line back to facing up. Check all clips on both lines are good. Reconnect the small line into reservoir with a solid CLICK. Clip reservoir into holder.
12. Fill Reservoir to MAX. Turn wheel few more times from lock to lock.
13. Start engine. Full lock to full lock. Check level. Top up as needed,
14. short drive. Check level. Top up as needed.

Not having done this before i took my time. 45mins from start to finish. No tea breaks. I went a full 2L of fluid to really make sure all the red was out, but could have probably made do with 1L in other circumstances. Dont use it all for the flush and not leave yourself enough to top up at end Smile

Post #382066 1st Dec 2019 7:29 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

RRBlue wrote:

like a wolf howling in the distance.

Grue wrote:

More of a zombie groan for me,

Really don't want get this issue on a foggy night in the middle of nowhere do you. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #382069 1st Dec 2019 9:03 pm
athens65

Greece 
To freediselauto : heavy steering at low speed

Thank you for the advise! I had the same problem and your tip saved me money from changing the steering pump.

Post #440055 12th Mar 2024 6:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>