« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Travel Pictures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
alex_pescaru

jaksbak@freel2
Nice!!!
See that the LR's off-road manual states to not drive (or let it idle) on slopes over 35 degrees (about 75%) nose up/down or 30 degrees (aprox. 60%) side to side for prolonged periods of time because of the lubrications issues that may appear (inability for the oil pump to draw the oil from the oil pan) leading to damage to the engine.
Between 35 and 45 degrees (70%-100%) is allowed only momentarily.

Post #103970 1st Jun 2011 4:37 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Here is the video link after I figured out how to make it smaller. The area has many more pits like this and so has pretty much any type of challenge, easy thru to near impossible. Some of the more serious 4WD's that have longer wheel bases would struggle to get over some of the edges. All in all though, really good fun and a great spot for the FL2 to strut it's stuff!

Post #104004 1st Jun 2011 11:46 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Same place, different angle. You can't see it in the vid, but on returning back over the jump, two wheels were off the ground. When the traction control kicks in, it lurches the vehicle to the right quite drastically and would have put me over the edge. On the third occasion, I simply chose a better line with more wheels on the ground - much easier.

Post #104243 3rd Jun 2011 10:40 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I celebrated ticking over 100,000 kms by having a day on the Stockton beach and dunes...

On the beach near the Sygma wreck

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

On the dunes
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #106884 3rd Jul 2011 2:23 pm
mikehzz

I took the FL2 1500kms west to Arkaroola in the North Flinders Ranges a few weeks ago. A very scenic spot and very remote. Well worth the trip its a geologist's and astronomer's wet dream due to the fantastic rock formations and absolutely clear skies. It's also got some very nice 4wd tracks and there are no tar roads for around 200kms. The car was brilliant as usual and handled the rough tracks very easily. I always carry an extra spare out there as the rocks on the roads eat tyres.

Driving to Paralana Hot Springs

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Warraweena
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #110306 16th Aug 2011 12:56 am
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

That car needs a wash!!!

Nice shots Mike. Thumbs Up 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #110307 16th Aug 2011 2:37 am
mikehzz

Mate, I did too Smile. A few days without a shower out there and you get a bit ripe.

Post #110308 16th Aug 2011 3:43 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Again, awesome pics Thumbs Up

Did you go it alone or did you have another vehicle in tow with you?

It makes me want to get out there, which I hope to do next year once I get some spare money for off road wheels/tyres etc. Very Happy

Post #110309 16th Aug 2011 3:53 am
mikehzz

Thanks! Yes I do mostly go alone on the long hops because I cannot arrange long times off work and its hard to coordinate those times with others. So one car with just me in it Smile (some say all my friends are there). On that particular trip, I left after work on a wednesday and drove 500 kms and camped in the car, then did another 1000kms the next day to be at Arkaroola thursday night. I then spent 2 days driving all the tracks I could find in the area and left to come back late saturday afternoon. I hit home sunday night and work the next day. Total accomodation bill $12, 4 tanks of fuel. Very Happy .
Not very relaxing at all and definately not everyone's cup of tea, hence its hard to get any takers to join me, but I like driving and can do very long stretches without really getting tired. I have no hesitation in taking off and doing it because I think its brilliant fun. My dream is to spend at least a year doing it in a more relaxing fashion but in the meantime I'm not going to die without having seen most of the place up close anyway. Cheers.

Post #110310 16th Aug 2011 4:19 am
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Alone! I did wonder where you passengers were in the car. Nice work.

1000kms a day. I take it there are plenty of fuel stops around or do you carry a jerry can or two? 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #110312 16th Aug 2011 4:52 am
mikehzz

The Flinders Ranges is pretty good for fuel, the longest hop was 300kms from Yunta Roadhouse to Arkaroola Village. It gets pretty pricey the further out you go. I normally carry an extra jerry more because I sometimes hit a place late at night and its shut. One night a few years ago on the Nullabor I rolled into the only servo for hundreds of kms to find it shut and in the dark. I pitched my tent at the side only to find in the morning I was in the middle of a nice little garden they had set up Smile They are scarce on the Nullabour and they didn't like me trampling it, oops! I've been out a few hundred kms to Poeppel Corner in the Simpson and then back to Birdsville for a 400km round trip. Its on sand so the usage is higher. The big one I want to do is the Canning Stock Route in WA. Two thousand kms between fill ups, Willuna to Halls Creek. Its on sand so there would be a heap of jerrys in that one. My TD4 gets 840kms to a tank if I run it till the power cut switches in.

Post #110313 16th Aug 2011 5:47 am
jaksbak@freel2

Nice story Mike. Sounds like you've got the bug. I have it too and would be doing many more trips if I could get a bit more time away from the business.

Post #110345 16th Aug 2011 12:19 pm
milom

Germany 

Click image to enlarge

Great photo. Looks like a broucher shot. Really nice trip! "I'm on the road to nowhere"

Post #110353 16th Aug 2011 1:04 pm
jaksbak@freel2

As we have discussed before, video footage of hill descents or climbs rarely does justice. This video helps to show the angle of the slope. Note how hard it is for the mere humans to tackle the slope and it's then easy to appreciate the ability of the FL2 the way it very easily reverses back up the slope. You might shudder when you hear the thump after going over a large tree root at the top . . . ouch! It sounded worse inside. No damage though, just a few more scrapes underneath.

Post #110576 19th Aug 2011 12:20 pm
mikehzz

A little day trip out of Sydney touring along the Turon River between Sunny Corner and Sofala. Very interesting trip with a lot of different conditions, rocky ascents in a few places, about 8 river crossings, wonderful scenery and NO belly scraping or panel scratching. Done after rain, it has some really slippery sections. The river was right at the 500mm wading depth due to the rain we have been having.

Just after crossing the Turon (down in the background)

Click image to enlarge

Post #115541 3rd Oct 2011 2:56 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>