Home > Technical > Locking Wheel Nut Key
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
toby

United Kingdom 
Locking Wheel Nut Key

Morning All.

I have just had a repair company out to remove a couple of supermarket car park dents!! Fortunately they were able to do it without removing the wheel as I was unable to find the locking wheel nut key.

I have seen it and knew exactly where it was but it has recently had a trip into my local LR dealer and now it seems to have disappeared - but they said they haven't used it, and I have not evidence to prove it was defiantly there when it went in.

To cut to the point - I have spoken to the dealer about getting it replaced and have been given a price of £38+VAT for a replacement IF I have the locking wheel nut key code. I have just looked in the handbook where I have found several cards in different languages with a space to input the Bluetooth PIN code and Locking Wheel Nut Key Code - but all of them including the english one are blank.

Is there any way of recovery the key code?
Who is responsible for filling these in?
Do I have a valid point to call LR Customer Services and complain that it isn't there?

I brought the car 18 months ago from a LR dealer when it was only 3 months old as an ex-demo car. I really don't want to pay the £390 quoted to me from the local LR dealer to remove the current ones and put a new set on.

Would appreciate any advice on where I may stand with not having the key code.

Many Thanks,

Toby

Post #98815 15th Apr 2011 11:01 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

the dealership will be able to find which code it is, by using there master set of keys Wink

Look in the glove box, in the spare wheel carrier foam thing, below the drivers side panel in the boot, were the boots at its widest part there is a section you can lift out on the floor and there is a little section to store it there too Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #98816 15th Apr 2011 11:11 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

as for paying for the wheel nut to be removed the dealership is taking the Censored , LR Assistance normally carry a full set of them too and many garages have a special tool for doing just this also Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #98817 15th Apr 2011 11:14 am
toby

United Kingdom 

Thanks npinks.

I will go back and speak to the dealer.

Toby

Post #98836 15th Apr 2011 2:07 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Nice to know NPINKS. Back to the question about the blank form in the LR Manual to record 'special" codes and stuff. What should we all ensure we record?

Post #98837 15th Apr 2011 2:08 pm
EYorkshire

Thanks for reminding me Nick, mine was still wrapped in its polythene bag with the keycode card in the glove box, the card with code is now indoors and also written in the manual. Thumbs Up

Post #98841 15th Apr 2011 3:05 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Mines in the plastic bag also Embarassed Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #98842 15th Apr 2011 3:19 pm
Marky

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

The dealer's use a master key anyway instead of fumbling around looking for your's Thumbs Up 2010 FL2 XS Auto in Santorini Black with HSE alloys

Post #98847 15th Apr 2011 4:15 pm
toby

United Kingdom 

I spoke to the dealer earlier and they don't seem to think they can get it off without someone drilling it off. Is there anyone from Lookers Park Royal that can confirm this?

I would have hoped there was a way of getting it off / finding out the code without having to drill it off!! I will continue my quest on Monday when the dealers re-open.

Toby

Post #98874 15th Apr 2011 9:09 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

When I was swapping a wheel the car was taken to the dealers and they swapped it for me as I broke the locking wheelnut adapter, there was no drilling and they didn't charge

I would suggest trying a different dealer, LPR may not be too far away, in there forum signature there us contact details, ring mention the forum and you will looked after, hopefully without a drill:lol: Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #98876 15th Apr 2011 9:31 pm
toby

United Kingdom 

Yes, there not to far away - I sometimes drive pass them when working. Will give my local dealer another call and if they still insist on drilling so they can charge me lots of money then I will call LPR.

Thanks for all the comments and help - great to know there are always people to ask when needing helpm Very Happy .

Toby

Post #98899 16th Apr 2011 8:40 am
wingit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

npinks wrote:
Mines in the plastic bag also Embarassed

Mine too Very Happy
Card is now safely indoors.

Post #98903 16th Apr 2011 11:06 am
colinrr

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My daughter had the same problem with her Peugeot. The wheels had been off at a tyre depot for new tyres. About 6 months later she had a puncture but no lock nut adaptor. She went back to the tyre place and of course they denied all knowledge stating that it was always their practice to hand it back to the owner personally. She paid a small fortune to the Peugeot dealership to grind off the locking nuts and provide a new set complete with key/ adaptor.

I doubt very much whether LR record the number of the adaptor. I presume that's why there is a blank on the form for us to fill in. Peugeot certainly didn't have a record.

My daughter went back to the same tyre depot (stupid - but she is blonde). When they handed the car back she decided to check whether the adaptor was there - was it hell! She had to go back and ask for it. A lesson to all of us I suppose. 1982 RR Classic-converted to 200TDi-gone
1992 RR VogueSE- converted to autogas-gone
2000 FL1 3dr (wife's)
1996 Disco 1 300 Tdi(gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS auto (gone)
MY 2011 SD4 HSE Automatic

Post #99068 18th Apr 2011 1:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i also heard it was cheaper to buy a whole new set of locking nuts than just the key

buy a new set, ring LRA saying you just dropped it down the drain when you was taking the wheels off the car for cleaning, they come out remove the nuts and hey presto, the set you just bought pops out for refitting Whistle

They might say you need to take it to the garage as its still drivable, but that's when you tell them how you might have got them slackened off and you think the wheel might come off whilst driving

or just park in liverpool overnight, you'll need a new locking kit and wheels though Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #99071 18th Apr 2011 1:22 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

My tyre man (small indy) reckons he can remove any locking wheel nut. Haven't tried him out on this though.

Post #99107 18th Apr 2011 6:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>