Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Rejecting a vehicle...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 
Rejecting a vehicle...

Rejecting a vehicle... Have you done this? What grounds was it based on? What was the result?
Thank you!

Post #98075 7th Apr 2011 2:37 pm
EYorkshire

A member called "Wintermute" apparently has rejected one, he has a few posts mentioning it, try a PM.

Post #98077 7th Apr 2011 2:45 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Sales of Goods Act 1978 (I think?)

Provided you have given the supplying dealer reasonable opportunity to correct the fault I believe you have a case.

Post #98088 7th Apr 2011 4:59 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Saving that there are quite a few members who own shotguns. Wink

Just through a few clays and scones through the door and they'll do the rest. Rolling with laughter 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #98090 7th Apr 2011 5:05 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

But on a serious note - we pay a lot for these "wonderful" (when they work) vehicles so don't let them off.

There really isn't any excuse for a newly delivered vehicle to have problems - that would definitely come under the classification of "Not Fit For Purpose" which is somewhere in the Sale of Goods Act.

If you give your local Trading Standards department a call - they should be able to give you some excellent advise - I've had plenty in the past - they all seem to know their stuff. 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #98091 7th Apr 2011 5:09 pm
dunroof

There are techincalities and other difficulties in rejecting a vehicle. Most dealers employ legal and other pofessionals. I know people that tried to return vehicles and without exception the dealers won the day.

My opinion, for what it's worth, if your going to do anything, do it via a Solicitor, a few quid spent on legal advice will be money well spent.

Post #98093 7th Apr 2011 5:46 pm
MVS

I rejected a Disco 3 as it failed driving it off the forecourt, this was found to be due to rodent damage of all the CAMBUS electric systems.

In this case all it took was a letter handed to the dealer principle after throwing the keys back at the salesman who handed it over to me.

Very poor PDI and storage of a brand new vehicle before delivery was blamed.

I had a brand new demo to drive home in and a replacement car in a week.

Post #98094 7th Apr 2011 5:56 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Hi MM

commiserations - I have been where you are.
Brand new Zafira, started falling apart within three days. Turbo failure 100 miles from home.
over the nxt two months I did more miles in garage courtesy car than my own.

Tried rejecting it but you have to give dealer reasonable chance to rectify which they in general will move heaven and earth to do - they are stick with car not manufacturer so they take a big hit. No joy on the rejection front.

Got rid of it within first 12 months - after the turbo it went on to have new brake, two new alloy wheels and numerous other problems. It made me ill always waiting for next bit to drop off.

Traded it in for a FL1 - loved it!!

My advise is get a solicitor to handle rejection for you if dealer not willing to play ball.

Best of luck - keep the faith! Thumbs Up There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #98105 7th Apr 2011 8:33 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I managed to reject a Citroen C5 after 1 year, but the list of failures was catastrophic.

A total of 5 months off the road over the first year, with two sets of replacement camshafts due to their complete failure and a complete new engine, all within the first 20,000miles. I'm not talking about minor rattles , I'm talking about an engine that was running so noisily that the car couldn't be driven and had to be recovered by the RAC.

After it broke down within 1/2 a mile of completing its 20,000 mile service (and it's recovery to the local dealer again - for the third pair of camshafts) it spent 3 further days in the workshop until the RAC's legal department were able to dictate a letter, over the phone, for me arrange the rejection.

So, if you are a member of a motoring organisation, like the AA or RAC, it's worth having a word with their legal helpline. However, frustrating though you are finding the problems, I respectfully suggest that rejection at this stage might be a little harsh.

PS: Each time the camshafts failed, a large proportion of the cam lobes simply disintegrated and fell into the oil. Citroen initially refused to change the engine oil at the same time as they said that this was unnecessary! Shocked So, if you think anything is lacking with Land Rover's service, you should try Citroen's!

Post #98114 7th Apr 2011 9:06 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Tigger wrote:
I managed to reject a Citroen C5 after 1 year, but the list of failures was catastrophic.
PS: Each time the camshafts failed, a large proportion of the cam lobes simply disintegrated and fell into the oil. Citroen initially refused to change the engine oil at the same time as they said that this was unnecessary! Shocked So, if you think anything is lacking with Land Rover's service, you should try Citroen's!

Well it is French.... Sheep Best time to reject a Citroen is once youv'e read the brochure Rolling with laughter (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #98122 7th Apr 2011 10:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Executive Valeter wrote:
Well it is French.... Sheep Best time to reject a Citroen is once youv'e read the brochure Rolling with laughter

So is the FL2 2.2TD4! Wink 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #98124 7th Apr 2011 10:29 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

From what I understand you have to let the supplier have a reasonable chances of rectifying the fault first.

If the supplier does not or cannot bring the goods up to the standard as advertised then you have grounds to reject the goods. There would be a time limit after purchase for this, as you can't reasonable expect a fault that has developed, after for example several years, to be repaired free of charge or outside the warrantee period.

You can reject under the sale of goods act as not fit for purpose and possibly under trade descriptions act as being mis sold. In all cases proper legal advice is necessary. it is suprising what a solicitors letter can do which Joe public can't do

Realspeed

Post #98128 8th Apr 2011 1:49 am
EYorkshire

Triple7 wrote:
Executive Valeter wrote:
Well it is French.... Sheep Best time to reject a Citroen is once youv'e read the brochure Rolling with laughter

So is the FL2 2.2TD4! Wink

Could have sworn his engine is Ford sourced Duratorq and not the French/Citreon PSA unit before 2011, but then again I could be wrong. Confused

Post #98158 8th Apr 2011 2:45 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

one of my work colleagues bought a new Disco 2 at the same time I bought mine, but he had no end of trouble with warning lights coming on and having to call the Landrover Assistance team on a regular basis.

it got to the stage that his wife did not feel confident taking the Disco out on her own and after 9 months of this he rejected the car and got his £29K back in full.

he bought a second hand merc 320E estate for £22K and he still has it, put him off Landrovers for life !!

Iain

Post #98159 8th Apr 2011 3:08 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Whatever you do, involve a lawyer. Thats the most impotant thing. Whistle 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #98163 8th Apr 2011 8:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>