« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > 2011 Freelander 2 - Modifications wishlist
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nicksbk

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
2011 Freelander 2 - Modifications wishlist

I have just taken delivery of a brand new 2011 freelander 2 HSE SD4 and am very pleased with it so far.
After using google to search for mods here in Australia I came across this forum and thought to share my modifications wish list with fellow freelanders.

Here are the modifications I will be looking to do

Side steps
Ski racks
Boot sills
Colour coded door handles
Mud flaps
22 inch wheels (city driving)
17 inch wheels (of road)
New exhaust (I really don't like the standard dump pipe)

As I get these I will post photos to this thread, if anyone has any advice on where to source these parts for the best price here in oz I would love to here from you!

Post #97478 2nd Apr 2011 10:50 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Pretty keen with all the mods on a newbie!
I'd be interested to know how the side steps go, particuarly in terms of grounds clearance. It's the one little thing that worries me about the FL2 - the clearance.
It sounds like you like to head down to Jindy in the winter. I'd love to see how you go down there. I went camping at Island Bend last year and it was really extreme. I was driving a Toyota Surf last year and it was great in the white stuff but I'm hoping to get down again in the SD4 this winter - not sure if I'd take the camper trailer again though. Pretty cold (got down to minus 11) and the winds that come roaring down from the top of the mountains thru the valleys are . . . . . . well, interesting to experience at least once!
The 22inch slicks will be very cool to see - I've never heard of anyone putting wheels this big on the FL2.
I'd also be interested to see what you do with the exhaust - I'm tempted to try extractors and a straight-thru but the electronics are so sophistocated these days, it's something I'll have to do some homework on. Did same on Surf and all I can say is "Wow, that's a massive difference."
Good luck with it all.

Post #97630 4th Apr 2011 12:41 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Re. the sidesteps jaksbak, when fitted their lowest point is 220mm from the ground ie 10mm more than the vehicle's ground clearance, so no problem at all in that respect. They do a very good job of protecting the lower sides from road dirt and debris, and are a big help for getting in and out, particularly for the young and elderly. The only slight drawbacks are that they can interfere with the jack placement and, getting out from the drivers seat requires a bit of care if it's wet to not touch the edge of the step with your trousers.
As far as other mods go, I had fitted, and would recommend, mud flaps front and rear, carpet mats, and the stainless steel door sill scuff plates.

Post #97760 5th Apr 2011 12:22 am
dunroof

Yes, the scuff plates would be goo, especially as I was in a 2011 the other day and one of the kids shoes, which must have had a stone in made an impressive scratch on a sill.

Post #97761 5th Apr 2011 12:31 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Side steps will stop you clearing some humps on off road tracks. The lowest point on most 4wd's is somewhere between the front wheels and is usually only a concern with ruts. If both wheels can get over at the same time then the height of the hump becomes an issue when the car is straddling it. Then the side steps get in the way.

Post #97986 6th Apr 2011 2:58 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Good point mikehzz, that certainly hadn't occurred to me. Even with the steps, having watched some of the video links posted on here, I'm positive my nerve/capabilities would run out long before the Freelanders. As a thought, the steps can be removed and replaced in about five minutes per side if things got that way! Perhaps Land Rover foresaw this, since the wheel brace fits the step fixing bolts.

Post #98040 7th Apr 2011 1:03 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

removing the steps still leave the brackets hanging down ready to get quished on rocks At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #98046 7th Apr 2011 8:08 am
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Nicksbk - now have new SD4 SE and couldn't keep it on the tarmac for too long. Subsequently, I now have a lot of mud, crocodile dung and other such elements all over anything behind each wheel, front and rear. Since every 4WD I've had beforehand had mudflaps, I didn't see the necessity to pay a squillion as an added exra - till now! Have you fitted and if so was it via a stealer or aftermarket? If aftermarket, where from? I live a long way from a stealer, so it's not like I can pop down and grab some. This means national retailers like Stupidbutcheap, Repcoloco and Autobarns are far more practical.

Post #98835 15th Apr 2011 1:59 pm
Warkman

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Seven seater version.. Whistle Whistle

Post #99225 19th Apr 2011 5:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1