« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Freelander 2 Newbie and a question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
scooooooott

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black
Freelander 2 Newbie and a question

Delighted to join this fantastic forum. Also pretty delighted to be the proud owner of a freelander 2 XS.

Quick query though-the car was purchased from Stratstone Perth. The car was advertised with additional features i.e. Automatic Rain Sensing Wipers and Auto Dim Rear View Mirror. However, now that I've got the car home I realise that it does not in fact have these at all!! Is this my fault for not checking that it had this before I drove it away?? Is it worth complaining about that do you think?

I'm also a wee bit worried about a vibration in 4th gear at low revs (1500) which equates to 30mph. You'd think you should be able to drive at that speed in 4th (my last car was a Jag estate 2.2 which had the exact same engine and no problems with that). I can get round it by changing up a bit later than normal. Only seems to be a problem in 4th as far as l can tell. Should I be worried or is this just part of the owner experience?

Cheers,
Scott

Post #97009 30th Mar 2011 1:53 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

hi need to know year of freelander and auto or manual rainy-city
xs

Post #97010 30th Mar 2011 2:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ad210358

England 

In his profile scooooooott has 2007 XS Manual p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #97011 30th Mar 2011 2:23 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have not checked but i thought all FL2 had rain sensing wipers Confused

On the stalk that controls them, you need to go up one notch and the sensitivity can be adjusted via the dial that rotates front to back

rear view mirror, there is a small hole just below the centre of the mirror, it might have been covered up as some have found this to be annoying Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #97014 30th Mar 2011 2:47 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

also , i can't remember but, im sure 30 is a little low for 4th gear, you might be able to have done it in a jag, but the FL2 will have different gear ratios etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #97015 30th Mar 2011 2:55 pm
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

npinks wrote:
i have not checked but i thought all FL2 had rain sensing wipers Confused

I thought the same Pinks. Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #97021 30th Mar 2011 3:36 pm
EYorkshire

Quote:
im sure 30 is a little low for 4th gear

Aye
Quote:

i have not checked but i thought all FL2 had rain sensing wipers

Aye

When I had a manual 30mph was OK in 4th as long as you have a light throttle, it will stay at this happily but start to accelerate and it won't be happy until 1800rpm.

Post #97026 30th Mar 2011 3:59 pm
scooooooott

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling better about my purchase. I went out in the rain and tried what you've said with the wipers...and indeed they are rain sensing! Brilliant, although I feel a bit daft about that now.

Vibration...I suppose it's a bit heavier than the jag as well so it maybe needs a lower gear at that kind of speeds-settled my mind though so thanks.

There appears to be a little leaver on the rear view mirror that dims the mirror and there's no sensor that I can see. I'm pretty sure it's a manual mirror-I can live with that if there's no worries about the vibration in 4th and the rains sensing wipers is a boost that it is in fact there after all. 2 out of three ain't bad!

Post #97045 30th Mar 2011 5:06 pm
ad210358

England 

Auto Lights and Rain Sensing Wipers were standard on all models from and including the GS upwards. But the Auto Dimming Mirror I think was on the HSE spec models only Question p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #97049 30th Mar 2011 5:28 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

My 57 SE had the auto dimming mirror...... Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #97103 30th Mar 2011 10:42 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

As far as I am concerned scooooooott, the issue of whether or not the XS came with auto dimming mirror as standard in 2007 is irrelevant. It is entirely possible that the previous owner could have requested it as an optional extra.

The point is this, if you have a copy of their advert for the car or can obtain one, they are obliged to sell goods which match the description.

S.13(1) of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 states as follows: Where there is a contract for the sale of goods by description, there is an implied term that the goods will correspond with the description.

S.13(3) states as follows: A sale of goods is not prevented from being a sale by description by reason only that, being exposed for sale or hire, they are selected by the buyer.

If you confronted them with this and they said something like: "when you signed, you agreed to be bound by the terms one of which states you have inspected the goods and accept them, we are not liable" etc...

Hit them with S.6(2) of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 which states as follows: As against a person dealing as consumer, liability for breach of the obligations arising from—(a) section 13, 14, or 15 of the 1979 Act (sellers’s implied undertakings as to conformity of goods with description or sample, or as to their quality or fitness for a particular purpose);(b)section 9, 10 or 11 of the 1973 Act (the corresponding things in relation to hire-purchase), cannot be excluded or restricted by reference to any contract term.

Go get em! LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #97104 30th Mar 2011 11:16 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Could be a genuine mistake,
ad nauseam zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #97106 30th Mar 2011 11:24 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Pegleg wrote:
Could be a genuine mistake,
ad nauseam zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Could be but that won't make any difference if he wants to pursue his argument under those Acts.

In all probability the dealer will rectify it without much fuss..........perhaps... LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #97107 30th Mar 2011 11:27 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I'm sure my car is happy at 30mph in 4th gear, but I'll let you know..................

Iain

Post #97118 31st Mar 2011 8:26 am
dunroof

Portree, you'll need the windscreen wipers, especially when cruising in Somerled Square on a Friday night! Sheep ......................... Sheep before hitting the peat banks on Saturday. Laughing

Post #97121 31st Mar 2011 9:00 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>