« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > My SD4 v BMW 320d Touring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand
My SD4 v BMW 320d Touring

So, I've had my new FL2 SD4 GS for 3 weeks now and thought it time to summarise how I've found it compared to the '08 BMW 320d Auto Touring that I've been using until now.

I changed to the FL2 for three main reasons:

- I live quite high up in the pennines these days (not so when I bought the BMW) and the crap roads round here really don't suit the BMW's rock-hard suspension and low ground clearance - even though it's probably better in ultimate roadholding on a flat road.

- The BMW is rubbish in snow (or off-road of course). End of.

- Our dog (a rather large Lab!) couldn't lift his head up (literaly!) when in the rear of the BMW. He's tells me he's much happier now.

Against these benefits, the downside is the consumption - 4mpg worse. The BMW averaged 39.5 whilst so far the FL2 has averaged 35.5 over the same driving conditions. (This compares with about 3mpg worse if you look at the official figures).

Comparing other stuff:

Engine/gearbox: the BMW has the slight edge here, though it might be more even when the FL2 has some miles on the clock.

Driving experience: much better visibility in the FL2 - and not just 'cos of the greater height. Both are good, comfortable, long distance motorway cruisers, little to choose in that regard. The FL2 is much better on the sort of rough winding roads we have round here. Brakes probably better on the BMW. Steering is better on the FL2 - due I suspect to the detrimental effect of the run-flat tyres on the BMW (I'll never buy a car with run-flat tyres again Evil or Very Mad ). The FL2's heated front screen is excellent - and I personally don't find the wires at all obtrusive.

Instruments: prefer the BMW - easier to read by far.

Controls/switchgear: prefer the FL2 - the controls have broadly the same functionality, but those in the FL2 are more logical and not so overloaded (ie a control having several functions depending on mode). The FL2's DAB radio implementation is a lot better.

Bluetooth: the BMW wins here - has voice control, plus my HTC HD Mini - which worked fine on the BMW - refuses to behave with the FL2.

Cabin: both very similar, but the FL2 wins because it has a good bit more internal height, more storage space and - as SWMBO said - 'it's more majestic'. Also easier to get in and out.

Unexpected bonus: SWMBO didn't like driving the BMW, but loves driving the FL2 - result, she's much more amenable to driving back from the pub. Thumbs Up

A few things I miss from the BMW:

- keyless ignition. This is a relatively expensive extra and I hesitated before specifying it for the BMW, but once you get used to it it's brilliant. You just keep the key in your pocket and that's it. Why it's not an option on the FL2 is beyond me.

- locking glove box (although the glove box itself is much smaller)

- back window opens independently of the tailgate - useful for shopping.

- proper cup holders that are at drivers hand height

Overall I'm very pleased with my FL2. I believe it compares very well with the BMW just on a straight car - car comparison and of course it has all the 4x4 benefits. Oh, and I've had no issues with it at all so far (apart from the auto lights not coming on early enough, which can wait till the first service to be looked at). Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #96906 29th Mar 2011 2:42 pm
SD4Cat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Hi Brian

Praise indeed. If all those magazines are to be believed, the BMW is the only decent car in the world!

I am an ex Merc driver -(CLKx2 then C220) loved them, but hated them in the snow - hopeless. I love my SD4 XS and while I miss the better brakes and excellent cornering grip of my 08 C Class - the FL2 wins in so many other areas.

I have had my FL2 since 14 December and no regrets (despite one warranty job with replacement steering rack - as that was handled professionally and without question by the dealer.)

Enjoy! What do I know....I'm only an Essex girl

Post #96912 29th Mar 2011 3:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1