Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Auto box gear changes.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bogart

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Auto box gear changes.

Yesterday drove 100 and odd miles with a caravan on the back.All was fine went down the motorway
at 60mph in 6th gear. Unhooked the van then went on a solo trip for about 10 miles Just as I stopped to push the stop button got a transmission fault message and what I thought was a message saying HOC unavailable which with hindsight must have said HDC unavailable
Pushing the start button did nothing. So key removal and reinsertion started no problem,no fault messages of any sort.
What I did notice was what appeared to me odd gear changes namely a reluctance to change up in the manner to which I am used to.
So today drove about 20 miles no problems changes seemed OK. On the return trip it appears to my mind all is not right.She seems loathe to change up to 5th hanging onto 4th too long and very eager to drop back to 4th if I manage to get her into 5th.
I have no previous experience of towing with an FL2,yesterday was the first time.
If it carries on will get it looked at but is there anything obvious I am missing. I have driven auto Volvos with adaptive gearboxes which after towing needed to be re-educated to solo mode, which was achieved in just a few miles. It is the transmission fault error that is worrying me though fingers crossed only happened the once.

Post #268652 3rd Jul 2015 6:36 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Do you have dedicated LR electrics? If so, connecting the trailer will modify the autobopx behaviour for towing and disconnecting will revert the box to normal.

If you have non LR electrics, e,g. Simple bypass kit then could the problem be simply that the box is 'learning' your 'new style' of driving with the van attached and then having to 'learn' all over again when the van is unhooked?

Post #268662 3rd Jul 2015 8:17 pm
ad210358

England 

As above, after a few miles it will learn the changes again. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #268664 3rd Jul 2015 8:50 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

LR Auto box has adaptive memory and recognises your driving pattern.
It will relearn after a few miles when you are not towing.
First time I encountered was with first FL2 Auto in 2008 On Isle of Mull for 4 days as scrutineer for Mull rally, covered almost 300 miles on single track roads often in sport mode attending incidents.
Off ferry and driving home I was very aware of different characteristics for a good few miles. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #268674 3rd Jul 2015 9:29 pm
Bogart

Hi. Is non LR electrics. My first thought was it was a relearning exercise. She just seems a slow learner Rolling Eyes

Post #268694 4th Jul 2015 9:50 am
Bogart

Just towed another 120 miles all okay. No problems when using minus caravan on back.

Post #268904 6th Jul 2015 9:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1