« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Sat Nav Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Sat Nav Questions

OK, I've had a couple of days to place with the Sat Nav, and I think I've pretty much got to grips with it. For basic functionality, I think the manual's pretty good and the system itself is quite intuitive. However, a couple of the more advanced features aren't documented that well and took a bit of working out (or maybe I was just being thick). Getting POIs to appear on the map was a challenge in itself!

Since you guys pointed out that you adjust the volume from the radio controls, I'm only left with two questions (for now):

RDS/TMC

There's a setting from the Navigation Setup Menu to decide whether you want to use TMC and allows you to configure it. However, one you've planned a route, if you go to the Route Options, where you choose what types of road to use or not use, you can also select/deselect RDS/TMC. It's not just another way of accessing the same setting, changing it doesn't affect the TMC setting in the Nav Setup Menu. So what's the point of having this setting? Especially as it seemed to be set "off" on first use, so if I hadn't found it I think I would have been under the impression that TMC was active, when actually is wasn't because it needs activating in two different places. So what's the point of having it as a route option?

Average Speed

There's an option that lets you reset the average speed to defaults, but no explanation of what this is actually about. Does it use these average speeds for journey time planning, perhaps calculating that you average 65mph on motorways and 50 on A-class roads? Or is it even cleverer and records an average speed for specific roads (e.g. 60mph on the M1 and 65mpg on the M6), or even particular sections of road? Anyone any idea?

Question Question Question Question Question

Did experience an odd sat nav quirk today. I was driving along a country lane which had a layby on the left. just a gravel/mud area at the side of the road about 3 car-lengths long. The sat nav tried to route me via the actual layby as if it was a section of dual carriageway Shocked

Post #6205 5th Sep 2007 5:39 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 
Re: Sat Nav Questions

I know what you mean with the TMC system, i think it is a really good system, but it is its early stages of development at the moment

Driving up the A1 i was in very slow moving traffic, it told me that there was a accident up ahead and then gave me the option to avoid, since i had just gone past the junction of the said accident, I had no option but to wait, only to find the accident was at the next juntion. if it gave an earlier warning i could have come off at the 1st junction drove through Catterick and come back on after the accident.

I would have missed the bloke with a knee the size of a melon been put into the back of an ambulance, but would have been 20mins further up the A1.

On the routing options, i hate when it wants to take me off the motorway and drive round the roundabout and back on to the motorway i was already on.

Post #6213 5th Sep 2007 7:45 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Can't help with the technical questions NightFox as my TMC is alreday on, but I too have suffered those invisible roads which are actually laybys, Ampthill to Bedford for has one, and I have also had the on off at a motorway slip road. I think as we say just use them as a guide, pretend it is your wife map reading treat with caution and always question instructions if it feels wrong Wink

Post #6225 5th Sep 2007 9:32 pm
fandango

Jersey 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Definitely taking a bit of getting used to after my TomTom. The one thing I miss (although I haven't trawled through the manual to see if it can be changed) is the variable warning distances. ie on the TomTom, the faster you go, the more warning it gves you before a route change. With the LR version, you can be storming along overtaking when it suddenly announces that in 1/4 of a mile you need to come off the autoroute Shocked.

I know it gives a readout of how far to the next route change, but I do like to rely on the voice commands rather than regularly staring at the display Sad .

Anyone have a different experience?

Re the TMC & Traffic Alerts, they do take a while to be updated. I decided to ignore the warning of delays and when I got to the area, not a delay in sight!

Post #6233 5th Sep 2007 9:48 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

You're right, there's no way to change the warning distance. Driving around recently, when I was still using my TomTom and particularly on motorways I noticed what I called the "TomTom phenomenum" where AGES before a junction (more or less 1.4 miles) you suddenly get people frantically trying to squeeze into Lane 1, and invariably as you get close you can see the TT on their windscreens. It's as if they hear the "take the next exit" and don't actually take the time to think that they've actually still got a good minute and a half to sort themselves out.

I also wonder how much Sat Nav has changed road usage - I bet there's country lanes that barely ever used to see a car, but now TomTom (or any other Sat Nav) considers them a optimal route. I know I certainly regualrly drive down several minor roads that I would never have ventured down "on my own"

Post #6235 5th Sep 2007 9:58 pm
carlfraz

Maybe it is the Government who have given the satnav companies this info to reduce traffic congestion. The number of housing estaes I have driven through after pulling off dual carriageways, especially round Milton Keynes is amazing.......all to save 4 seconds on a journey time

Post #6238 5th Sep 2007 10:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

NightFox wrote:
I know I certainly regualrly drive down several minor roads that I would never have ventured down "on my own"

I agree, cutting through country lanes the Sat Nav get you seeing thing you wouldn't normally see, like wild life, roads that turn in to mud tracks, and the right hand turn after crossing both lanes of the north bound A1

Post #6239 5th Sep 2007 10:13 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Picked up my Freelander 2 SE in Jun and on first trip up the A1 noticed that the Bedford Bypass off Black Cat roundabout doesn't appear, not bad for a road that opened in 2006.

Also noticed that the Oakham Bypass in Rutland is missing one section of the road and that opened in Dec 06.

Not happy about prospect of paying £150.00 for an updated DVD after less than 3 months.

Post #6260 6th Sep 2007 8:51 am
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

ok guys, if this is of any comfort to you, the Greece DVD is still not available! Big Cry Censored Comming soon, I hope. Minor 'glitch', I guess. Rolling Eyes
By the way I've read that Sat Nav on Disco3 and RRS give you contour lines when off roading and altitude meter. Are these available in our FL2's?

Post #6428 9th Sep 2007 10:09 pm
carlfraz

Defkalion my old friend....do you have any roads left in Greece to register on the satnav after the fires Whistle Question

Post #6430 9th Sep 2007 10:12 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The roads are still there Carl. Could show them in dark gray! Big Cry

Post #6445 9th Sep 2007 10:50 pm
carlfraz

Rolling with laughter Laughing Laughing I'm glad you can still laugh my friend. Seriously, from the news and your pm's it has not been good. Make sure you stay in your well Thumbs Up Wink

Post #6450 9th Sep 2007 11:13 pm
calldrop

United Arab Emirates 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Alaska White

Can anyone please let me know the exact model of the Sat Nav system in the LR2?
Is it possible to do your own software upgrades? Any specific websites that i should visit?

Post #6645 13th Sep 2007 10:47 am
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

It's made by a company called Denso. Not sure of the model number though. They do have a technical email address on their site, so you mya be able to get more info from that.

Post #6646 13th Sep 2007 11:07 am
calldrop

United Arab Emirates 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Alaska White

Thanks for the info Smile
thanks. Thumbs Up

Post #6647 13th Sep 2007 11:26 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>