Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Juddery acceleration, flatspot and smoking - SOLVED!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SkipperJonce

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Juddery acceleration, flatspot and smoking - SOLVED!

Hi, just thought i'd share a little experience...

My FL2 with 97000 miles on the clock has been intermittently smoking on start-up, juddering on acceleration when cold, and holding back with a kind of flat spot at low revs for quite a few months now and slowly been getting worse. Last week on the motorway when putting the power down to overtake, the power wasn't there, almost as if the turbo was stalling.

Not being too enamoured of Landrover technicians, I purchased my own error code reader to see if anything was stored. For the record I bought a Launch C Reader V. It is a self contained unit and cost just over 50 quid. Plugging it in, I found a stored code - P1103, which the Launch told me means "Mass Air Flow Sensor In Range But Higher Than Expected". Strangely, the MIL light wasn't on and has never come on, but the code was there anyway.

Turns out this code can be pointing to a bad MAF sensor or a sticking EGR valve causing higher than expected fresh air flow. Popped into Riders Landrover and picked up a new MAF sensor for 32 + VAT. 2 torx screws to remove the old, and slotted the new one in - Well, what a difference! She goes like a demon now. No smoke, no flat spot and no juddering. Also my MPG which had been sat around 28 since I had the car is slowly creeping up (29.4 now).

Hope this info is useful to anyone else with similar symptons. Obviously they could be caused by other more dire problems, but 50 pounds for a code reader and another 40 for the new MAF is a pretty cheap way to start some self-diagnosis.

Rich. '07 XS Stornoway Grey

Post #93674 28th Feb 2011 7:49 pm
maffs

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Good work and well done on solving yours (and other future peoples) mystery Smile
Thumbs Up

Post #93683 28th Feb 2011 8:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1