Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > SD4 GS not without faults.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
staffsman

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
SD4 GS not without faults.

Hi I'm new here and have been looking for such a forum for a while.
I bought my SD4 5 months ago, very soon after they were released. I bought it from a Birmingham based dealership which was not a great experience. My local dealer is in Stafford and from past experience they were not too good either so I thought I would give the B'ham dealer a try, mistake.
This is not my first Land Rover, I have owned a Disco (used) and a Freelander 1 (from new) in the past. Because of the on going reliability issues with Land Rover I gave my purchase a lot of thought, but when the SD4 was announced I went for it. I love the car. Before this I ran an Audi A4 which I also loved but as I'm getting on I have back trouble so getting in and out of the Audi was beginning to get difficult. The LR is a perfect hight for me so on that score I am happy. However it isn't perfect. I'v said I have had the car five months now and only driven 2600 miles but the cars has been back to the dealer 6-7 times. Just niggles really but it's a new car!
I've had water in the high level brake light (replaced), badly fitting door trim (replaced after much argument), Sat Nav locking up (waiting to see if it happens again) and the fuel gauge only showing 1/4 tank when it was full. (That corrected itself the following day so again I'm waiting and watching).
The SD4 with it's 190bhp engine has more power than the Audi and I thought that was quick enough. It is quieter and a smoother ride too but I do wish I had more faith in the build quality and the dealerships. I have been back to my local (Stafford) dealer and they have been far more helpful than the dealer I bought the car from. I don't think I can name the Birmingham Dealer but they are crap. The salesman was not really interested, the company penny pinching (charged me £10 because I wanted GB on the plates and £6 for a weeks road fund licence even though I was willing to wait until the first of October. The the service staff are at best disinterested and at worst liars.
But I do still love the car.
I'm off on a 5000 mile trip in a couple of weeks - hope I still love it after that.

Post #92782 21st Feb 2011 4:35 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I've only covered 1000 miles in my SD4 GS and so far it's been fine, however, I too came from a A4 (B7 chassis) and it was nothing but agro. Nothing major but lots of little things, plus the characteristic understeer I found annoying. My point is, regardless of reputation, all manufacturers have 'friday afternnon' cars.

As for dealers, you get no argument from me. The guys I purchased from were great, but my local dealer's customer skills were laughable. For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #92784 21st Feb 2011 4:51 pm
staffsman

My Audi was almost faultless even over the five years I owned it and the dealers (again in Stafford) were first class
Rather strangely the service manager at the Audi dealer runs my last Freelander!

Post #92789 21st Feb 2011 5:02 pm
EYorkshire

I've now done 1200 miles in my SD4, no problems, hasn't used any oil, decent fuel consumption and very pleased with it.
I did fool the auto gearbox once when I kicked down on entering a big roundabout to clear traffic from the right, and it revved over 4000rpm with no hint of changing up so took foot off throttle at 4500rpm and it did. Confused
I feel that if I didn't intervene it would have gone into the solid red warning. Shocked

Post #92790 21st Feb 2011 5:07 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Yeah I have to say, I wish all dealers were like my local Audi place. They were superb, which was handy as I was there far too often Rolling Eyes . It hasn't put me off the brand though, as I think I was just unlucky. For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #92791 21st Feb 2011 5:08 pm
staffsman

Quote:

I did fool the auto gearbox once when I kicked down on entering a big roundabout to clear traffic from the right, and it revved over 4000rpm with no hint of changing up so took foot off throttle at 4500rpm and it did.
I feel that if I didn't intervene it would have gone into the solid red warning

Am I missing something? If you activate the 'kick down' it won't change UP it will change down - or - if you are already in a low gear, which is likely entering an island, it may have nowhere to go and just rev.

Post #92802 21st Feb 2011 5:45 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

They shouldn't charge for the GB on the number plate, my dealer asked me if I wanted it & I said yes but they made a mistake & forgot to put the GB's on, not that I was really bothered but when the salesman was about to put them on the car (I was there at the time) he remembered & said "Oh you wanted the GB plates" & said "you may as well have these & I will make up another set".
I also had a extra weeks tax (about £6) they did not add it on either. Sounds like that Birmingham dealer is a Stitch Up! I don't know dealers up there but when I bought my Rover 25GSi new in 2006 from Evans Halshaw in Solihull there was a LR dealer next door which I think was Stratstone. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #92822 21st Feb 2011 7:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EYorkshire

staffsman wrote:
Quote:

I did fool the auto gearbox once when I kicked down on entering a big roundabout to clear traffic from the right, and it revved over 4000rpm with no hint of changing up so took foot off throttle at 4500rpm and it did.

Am I missing something? If you activate the 'kick down' it won't change UP it will change down - or - if you are already in a low gear, which is likely entering an island, it may have nowhere to go and just rev.

Am I missing something Confused I said I kicked down (this was to accelerate away and out of my exit) so it changed down (probably into 2nd) and accelerated but would not change up even when it reached 4500rpm. Sensors are there to prevent over revving.
Possibly I could have described it better Thumbs Up

Last edited by EYorkshire on 22nd Feb 2011 3:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #92838 21st Feb 2011 9:53 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Staffsman, obviously dealers vary, I only have experience of two. My first appears to have a strong customer service ethos, they return calls and emails and do what they said they would do. They are however not cheap, possibly due to an expensive location. The second so far has not meet the same customer service standards but with a change of contact is improving significantly. They are cheaper, but also probably because of their location. Lesson is to change your dealer.
As to the car, I do not have an SD4 but my experience with two TD4’s so far has been great. Minor niggles, esp on new models are common. I do hope your car settles down and you continue to enjoy it. I envy you and your 5000 mile trip, where are you going?
You will find that this site (like many similar) has many brand addicts, nerds, geeks and obsessives, pro and anti. It can present a very unreal world at times. It also has some really useful information and experience which I for one have benefited from!
Enjoy your car, JT
(I await the insults from the geeks and obsessives etc!) Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #92864 22nd Feb 2011 12:13 am
staffsman

EYorkshire wrote:
staffsman wrote:
Quote:

Am I missing something Confused I said I kicked down (this was to accelerate away and out of my exit) so it changed down (probably into 2nd) and accelerated but would not change up even when it reached 4500rpm. Sensors are there to prevent over revving.
Possibly I could have described it better Thumbs Up

Now I understand, I must say I was a little confused, but I find at my age, I'm confused quite a bit.

Post #92909 22nd Feb 2011 3:48 pm
staffsman

julytourist wrote:
Staffsman, obviously dealers vary, I only have experience of two. My first appears to have a strong customer service ethos, they return calls and emails and do what they said they would do. They are however not cheap, possibly due to an expensive location. The second so far has not meet the same customer service standards but with a change of contact is improving significantly. They are cheaper, but also probably because of their location. Lesson is to change your dealer.
As to the car, I do not have an SD4 but my experience with two TD4’s so far has been great. Minor niggles, esp on new models are common. I do hope your car settles down and you continue to enjoy it. I envy you and your 5000 mile trip, where are you going?
You will find that this site (like many similar) has many brand addicts, nerds, geeks and obsessives, pro and anti. It can present a very unreal world at times. It also has some really useful information and experience which I for one have benefited from!
Enjoy your car, JT
(I await the insults from the geeks and obsessives etc!)

Don't talk to me about not returning calls, I have had four calls not returned and now three Emails, so I have moved on, or should that be back? I had the car into my local Stafford dealer on Sat morning and the attitude does seem a bit better than it was with my first Freelander. The guy was helpful and friendly even.
Hopefully I won't have to see any dealers for 7 months.

We are off to Spain via Eurotunnel. This will be our third trip stopping off overnight in France and northern Spain before getting to Nerja lateish on day Three. then we have seven weeks of sun before doing it all over again to get home just in time for Easter.

I envy the red car, that was my choice but I only have one vote, apparently my wife get two so we have an ever dirty Black.

Ray

Post #92910 22nd Feb 2011 4:13 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

When I bought mine second hand from dealer in Bedford it had to have new plates (reregistered). When I asked for Euro plates the salesman said he believed that all cars had to have them now. Saw no point in arguing, and I have the plates I wanted Exclamation

Post #92976 22nd Feb 2011 10:32 pm
ad210358

England 

I asked LPR for the Euro plates to be fitted on mine, which they did Bow down and a spare for the trailer not so good with that one though Whistle p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #92977 22nd Feb 2011 10:37 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Staffsman, enjoy your trip, Drove to Benidorm in a Saab saloon plus roofbox several years ago with wife and two boys. Overnighted south of Paris and in Barcelona. Even so a bit of a rush to get there in time....Great trip despite broken exhaust fixed in Benidorm with parts from Madrid. Two week holiday, 6 days travelling! Just have your LR Assistance number as a contact in your mobile!
PS, does your wife know that Black = not terribly successful Drug Dealer!!!! Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #92993 23rd Feb 2011 1:12 am
staffsman

[quote="julytourist"] Just have your LR Assistance number as a contact in your mobile! [quote]

Thanks for that, I now feel much happier

Quote:
PS, does your wife know that Black = not terribly successful Drug Dealer!!!!

I'm not from London! We don't do drugs here.
I have been giving some thoughts about freelancing as a funeral director however. The customers would have to be willing to be folded in half but I don't fore see a problem with that if the price is right.

R

Post #93022 23rd Feb 2011 1:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>