« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Brake pad and disc wear rate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Matkat

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Brake pad and disc wear rate

What sort of mileage do folks get out of pads and discs.
I k now the Freelander2 is set up to use rear pads faster than fronts and I also believe they get more disc corrosion on the rear.
Any input as regards how many miles you have got out of these would be appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #91521 10th Feb 2011 7:58 pm
    View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
    Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Who told you they were set up to use the rear pads more than the front? Thats total rubbish to be honest. It goes against physics.

I changed all my discs and pads at 39000 miles. They were the original brakes and the technician said I had maybe another 3-5000 miles left in the discs and rear pads, but the fronts pads were shot.

I decided to have everything replaced with OE Land Rover parts, dont mind changing the discs a little early though if I get another 39000 miles out of them as I will change the car before then. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #91530 10th Feb 2011 9:01 pm
    ad210358

England 

A higher percentage of your braking is done with the front, it is around 60% from memory. I had new pads all round at 20k and front discs at the same time, never did change the rear discs. I did another 18k and when I traded it in the fronts were 35% worn and discs fine so I put the first set of pads down to the previous owner or the dealer being a little kean. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #91543 10th Feb 2011 10:08 pm
    Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Yes, you will wear the front ones first due to the change of energy during braking.
    However, i don't understand while some of you have had new discs at such a low mileage. I know that there are wear limits, but apart from warped discs, i've never had to replace any discs on any of my cars in almost 40 years of driving. I've a car thats done over 100k with original discs.
    I'm always suspicious of discs being replaced at low mileage; i'm sure some is nothing more than a rip off.
    We don't all own a vernier to measure the wear! Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #91561 10th Feb 2011 11:11 pm
    jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I agree with Mav71 on the mileage 39000 miles and wear rate of the pads, Thumbs Up

I also agree with pegleg with on the disc wear. Thumbs Up

I have just changed the front and rear pads (39000 miles) not much wear on the disc,s or any heat damage so they can last in till next time. The pads would have lasted longer but I'm towing the Van a good long way this year. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I must say they are so easy to do. just over an hour, and if I had a ramp I could do them in half the time ??

Post #91572 10th Feb 2011 11:57 pm
    julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Rear pads replaced at 2nd year service on 18k miles, I was puzzled as I thought front pads would wear faster.... Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
    Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #91574 11th Feb 2011 12:02 am
    Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Premature disc wear is here to stay I'm afraid. I'll explain...

Basically because you're not allowed to use all the fun and dangerous stuff in brake pads anymore, they wear discs quicker. Simples Very Happy (although replacing discs as often as pads is a big Big Cry )

Our D3 had front pads at around 30-35 k iirc, and the discs weren't a million miles off needing replacement. We sold the car though for the FL so didn't see exactly how long they would've lasted.

Also, cars are heavier nowadays. When I changed the pads on our Focus at 33k, the discs were right down as well.

At BMW on the saloons and 4x4's, mainly because numpties were driving them, they were having new discs and pads all round at every service, about 14-15k. Shocked Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
    Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #91580 11th Feb 2011 12:39 am
    Pegleg

One point of help.
    If you brake to a halt, try not to hold pressure on the footbrake as this will put more heat into the disc where the pads come into contact thus reducing warping. Not always possible with auto box though. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #91581 11th Feb 2011 12:40 am
    Pegleg

Sorry Big Dave, but my most recent cars pads were made without any nasty materials in them.
    I still didn't need discs and i've got a vernier and i also measure run-out.
    And they all did big mileage.
    More than one dealer said i needed new discs until i asked to see the evidence. Which wasn't there.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just not happened to me that's all.
    I still think some of it is a rip off. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #91582 11th Feb 2011 12:55 am
    Big Dave

Fair enough Pegleg, that's the opinion of 2 mechanics I know. Plus, as is similar with you, a dealer doesn't change my discs and pads, I do them when I think they're worn, again on a vernier.

One dealer tried telling us that the pads on the D3 were 95% worn at 19k. They were still fine at 30+...

Good advice about not keeping your foot on the brake, especially from a big stop. Handbrake in auto's Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #91583 11th Feb 2011 1:02 am
    Pegleg

Thanks Big Dave Thumbs Up .
    I hope you can see that i'm only trying to prevent people parting with with hard earned cash! Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #91584 11th Feb 2011 1:11 am
    Big Dave

Oh ye of course...I'm horrified by how quickly some parts 'need' changing when they should be lasting 3, 4 or 5 times longer. Unfortunately many don't understand the workings of vehicles well enough to question these things. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #91587 11th Feb 2011 1:29 am
    hutchingsp

Not aimed at the FL2 but I think many people these days forget that you don't have to brake to slow down, you can just take your foot off the accelerator and let physics do its thing.

My current car's on 58k and is on its original pads and discs and they have a lot left on them.

My car before that I had 3 years and did around 42k and that was on its original pads and discs with lots left on them.

It's a bit like tyres. I changed the original fronts on my current car at 40k - arguably they had a while left on them, and it's not a slow/underpowered car by any means, yet I see plenty of threads on forums from people with Clio's and Focus's who claim they've gone through tyres in 9k.

Post #91716 12th Feb 2011 2:54 pm
    seagull1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

What is the minimum thickness of the front and rear discs?
    Apprently mine had front and rear pads at 34000 (dealer service!).

Richard FL2 07 TD4 GS Auto
    Ex 02 TD4 Auto

Last edited by seagull1 on 12th Feb 2011 8:30 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #91719 12th Feb 2011 4:17 pm
    View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
    julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

with 15000 miles or annual service intervals do garages change pads if they believe they will not last until next service [question] Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
    Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #91724 12th Feb 2011 5:02 pm
    Post Reply  Back to top
    Page 1 of 2 12>