« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > rumble/vibration from rear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
themightymcphed

rumble/vibration from rear

Hi everyone!

I seem to have something new to ask about every week. Sorry about the questions Embarassed

Was driving to work this morning and when got on the M-way after a couple of minutes, noticed a vibration from the RHS rear. Almost like a rumble. Coulbe feel it slightly at the wheel, but only slightly. When slowed down to pull over, could hear it slowing wth the car. A chh chh chh type sound. Almost like had a flat.
Checked around the car. Wheels look fine, tyres fine, weights still in place.
Drove away and all ok and then it came back for about 1 min but a lot less noticable and then went away and all was normal.

If it makes ay difference, was driving through some water splashed on the roads (3 in deep max) on the way home last night. Car was feeling sweet as a ut last night and this morning until I noticed that

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Iain As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he

Post #90900 5th Feb 2011 10:03 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Stone or something between disc and pad/sheild?

Post #90902 5th Feb 2011 10:21 am
themightymcphed

I was kinda thinking along the same lines. The handbrake sticks on overnight sometimes - was really bad yesterday morning. In fact it was really bad yesterday morning and felt the LHS come unstuck then had to give it another go to get the RHS unstuck. It was the RHS that the vibration/rumble sounded like it was coming from.

Do you think it could be a bit of pad/rust/crap etc stuck on the disk? (or whatever the handbrake works on)

I'm not really any good mechanically (I deal with eyes). I'm just having an idiot's stab in the dark. Laughing
All other help and info would be gratefully received.

Thanks for the reply

Post #90905 5th Feb 2011 10:34 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Ah now I had exactly the same thing with the handbrake sticking.

Occasionally I would get what you describe and it turned out to be the handbrake shoes binding in the drum and they needed to be replaced.

Next time it happens get out and feel the rear wheel where the noise seems to be coming from, if it feels hot then it's prob that.
When I had it, it would occur after I had put the handbrake on after a bit of a journey, then set off again.
I poured two bottles of water over the wheel and tons of steam came out but after 5 mins or so it had cooled enough for me to continue my journey.

I would avoid using the handbrake and leave it stuck in gear, it's a bit disconcerting esp if you live on a hill like me but it will hold!
If it doesn't re-occur then it is prob the handbrake shoes/drum need replacing.

Post #90914 5th Feb 2011 11:46 am
themightymcphed

excellent advice snappa. Thanks

was it an expensive fix do you know? I'm on extended warranty (its an 07) so don't think brakes will be covered??? As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he

Post #90917 5th Feb 2011 12:07 pm
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

could be the heat shield over the front propshaft.
I had a strange noise like that. It was just the shield that was bent up so that it touched the propshaft.
Have a look Smile FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #91005 5th Feb 2011 10:12 pm
Richard1975

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

Hi,

I'm new on this forum and have found a lot of usefull info allready.

Since a few weeks I've noticed a rumble/vibration like mentioned here and in other posts. It seemed to come from the RHS rear at the time. After replacing the rear tires to the front (not crossed but same side front to rear and vice vers) I thought the vabriation moved also to the front. I allready had checked the LR2 (MY07) with the dealer and they said after a short testdrive that everything is OK and the vibration was caused by the tires.

To eliminate the vibration I had all 4 tires checked. The tire which was originally located on the rear RHS had some "cupping" but not very bad. To make sure I've had all 4 tires trimmed (make them perfectly round) and balanced. The rumble/vibration was slightly less but still there. Due to having perfect round tires the tire/road noise was way less and because of the less noise I now think the rumble is originated on the front LHS. It becomes best noticeable from 80 to 120km/h. At higher speeds it's also there but then wind noise will take over the rumble/vibration noise. At lower speeds it is also noticeable but not at "irritating" level.

It seems that the frequency of the rumble in and decreases with the speed (not engine revs) and it does not make a difference whether I keep the car in gear (manual gear box) or not at that speed.

Does anybody have ideas regarding the cause of this rumble/vibration and are the wheels somehow "cross connected (fron LHS to rear RHS)? According to the dealer it's not the dif or Halex. can it be the gear box, driveshaft, some kind of rubber mountings?

And Ian, did you sort your Rumble/vibration allready?

Best regards,
Richard

Post #91203 7th Feb 2011 1:42 pm
themightymcphed

I've not had it sorted yet mate. It's going into the dealer on Monday. Sounds very much like what I've had too. I'm hoping it's just the brake shoes on mine and a warranty fix.
When I get the car back on Monday I'll ask as many questions and get as much info as poss and I'll post it on here for you.

Good luck with your car!

Post #91413 9th Feb 2011 11:11 am
Richard1975

Hi Iain,

Thanks for your reply. Keep my fingers crossed for you having some minor issue and under warranty. Mine for sure is out of warranty over 3 years and 135k (km). Would really appreciate knowing the outcome of your visit to the dealer before I bring mine. Maybe I can point them to a certain direction because this issue seems hard to solve.

Best regards,
Richard

Post #91427 9th Feb 2011 3:50 pm
themightymcphed

Quick update. The dealers have my car and just had a call to say its getting new rear pads, discs and shoes. All paid for by the sales side as I just bought it 2/12 ago. Got another 3hrs to kill before I collect it. Got a 30mile drive home, so it'll let me see if its fixed. I'll update you when I get home. Good luck with your car mate.

Iain. As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he

Post #91904 14th Feb 2011 2:27 pm
Richard1975

Hi Iain,

Thanks for the update! I can bring my car by the end of today. Over the last days it also devellopped some rattling in first gear while pulling away (from standing still). I'm pretty concerned this has something to do with the vibration as mentioned before and will be related to Haldex/dif.

Let me know when you've had your 30 miles drive.

Best regards and hope yours is sorted out with new pads etc.
Thanks,
Richard

Post #91906 14th Feb 2011 2:48 pm
Richard1975

I've had my vibration issue diagnosed by the dealer and it turned out not beiing a haldex/dif but the dual mass flywheel... Nice knowing that only 135k (km) is enough to have the flywheel replaced and the clutch repaired. The dealer quoted for replacing the flywheel and the clutch repaired (overhaul) just under EUR 1,900 so now I can call it stealer. Total costs for normal standard service and fixing the vibration 2,500 euros.

I'm not so happy anymore with this car!

Iian, is your problem solved?

best regards,
Richard

Post #92309 17th Feb 2011 4:59 pm
Richard1975

Hi Iain,

I'm curious whether the brake replacement solved your issue or not? I've had à front axle replacement but did not solve the wobble/rumble.

Hope to have your update,

Best regards,
Richard

Post #96960 29th Mar 2011 7:24 pm
themightymcphed

Hi Richard. Hope things are improving on your car.
Brakes sorted and it is only road noise I can hear these days Laughing As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he

Post #99319 20th Apr 2011 11:06 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Hi themightymcphed

Did you get the info about what specific about the brakes was causing the noise (rumble) 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #99323 20th Apr 2011 12:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>