« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Which sound system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver
Which sound system

I am looking for a sound system which will be used in our home and we are looking at rhe Bose Sounddock10. It will cater for the Ipod, Digital radio off the tele and also the sound from the BluRay player. At £600 it ain't cheap but is there anything else I should be looking at? Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #90755 4th Feb 2011 10:04 am
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

For me, I've always found that Bose stuff is more style over substance, although I do admit I usually like the style. However, it's very much a personal taste and if something does what you need it to do, you like the sound and more importantly you can afford it, then it go for it. As with any audio product, the best advise is always to demo it as even the most accomplished kit might have a sound that doesnt suit you.

Personally I have a Sonos multi-room set that is exactly what I need. For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #90759 4th Feb 2011 10:23 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have seen £5000 of Bose Lifesyle system playing at my brother in laws and the sound is great, but then i go to my brothers and hear his system and that is amazing compared to the Bose

Denon 1910 AV amp £300
KEF Speakers 7.1 (2005.3?) £1100
Apple TV (new Model) £99.00

plays your music from the iphone/itunes wirelessly of the wifi and it sounds amazing

obviously the 7.1 speaker are a little OTT for what your looking at Ralph but something like the Boston Acoustic Soundware XS @ £296 are a What-Hi 5* reviewed product, then link that with a Denon 1911 AV amp you'll get really good TV sound, radio (not sure on DAB side), movies via your blu-ray and since the AMPs 3D compatible with the latest HDMi when you upgrade to 3D tv your ready

or just buy the sounddock, my bose system (soundwave) with the iphone plugged in with a 3.5mm socket sounds good too

contact Kaine on RRSport, he owns a audio visual company Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #90762 4th Feb 2011 11:02 am
mattbridge

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

npinks wrote:
i have seen £5000 of Bose Lifesyle system playing at my brother in laws and the sound is great, but then i go to my brothers and hear his system and that is amazing compared to the Bose

Denon 1910 AV amp £300
KEF Speakers 7.1 (2005.3?) £1100
Apple TV (new Model) £99.00

plays your music from the iphone/itunes wirelessly of the wifi and it sounds amazing

obviously the 7.1 speaker are a little OTT for what your looking at Ralph but something like the Boston Acoustic Soundware XS @ £296 are a What-Hi 5* reviewed product, then link that with a Denon 1911 AV amp you'll get really good TV sound, radio (not sure on DAB side), movies via your blu-ray and since the AMPs 3D compatible with the latest HDMi when you upgrade to 3D tv your ready

or just buy the sounddock, my bose system (soundwave) with the iphone plugged in with a 3.5mm socket sounds good too

contact Kaine on RRSport, he owns a audio visual company

You brother knows his stuff, it's exactly what I have (without the Apple TV as out broadband is rubbish here)... amazing Bow down The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012
Me - BMW 330d Saloon - Black - 2011

Post #90765 4th Feb 2011 11:55 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Near enough the same stuff here also. Denon amp has lasted ages, too well in fact, As it's getting on over 10 years now, unfortunately it hasn't got HDMI. Hence why the Apple TV is in the family room TV and not the theatre room. But good on Denon to produce something that has lasted!

Separates are better. That way you can get the best (within your budget) of amp and speakers. Note: Don't skimp of leads and wires.

If on a tight budget, then I would look at all in one speaker/Amp packages. See the reviews on What Hifi magazine to get an idea of the best ones out there. It is advisable to hear them though before you buy.

I have the Bose SoundDock II which is great for when you want to move from room to room or take outside to listen to music or even the radio (via iPhone/pod) outside.

Post #90798 4th Feb 2011 3:32 pm
mattbridge

yep BOSE sound dock is good too, we use in the kitchen and garden.

Our Denon has HDMI and is 3 years old now and spot on (it's big tho)

Kef do some good all in one stuff and sound is great quality, some good deals in Best Buys last week on Kef The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012

Post #90799 4th Feb 2011 3:59 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

pure digital radio with ipod on aux lead or play direct from the sdcard slot At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #90802 4th Feb 2011 4:19 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

mattbridge wrote:

You brother knows his stuff, it's exactly what I have (without the Apple TV as out broadband is rubbish here)... amazing Bow down

I beg to differ......

What Hi-Fi know their stuff..... My brother just knows how to read Rolling with laughter

Saved money buy buying last years (09) winners when he bought his system last year, worth doing unless you NEED the latest models etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #90803 4th Feb 2011 4:22 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Buy British. It'll blow the socks off most other stuff. There's loads of secondhand stuff on ebay and it'll last for years, you don't need to spend a fortune.
Oh, Bose and Bang and Olfsen arn't even considered to be hifi. It's just public conception.
Pinky is quite right, read the mags first but don't forget the newest isn't always the best. Some stuff made 30-50 years ago still can't be bettered today. And you can can get 'em cheap. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #90877 4th Feb 2011 11:17 pm
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Thanks guys. I now have all the ammo I need to go around the shops after looking at What HI Fi. It is always better when you sound like you know what you're talking about! I will let you know the outcome. Bow down Thumbs Up Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #90915 5th Feb 2011 11:56 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

my favorite sound is that of a caravan crushing under a tanks treads Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #90916 5th Feb 2011 11:58 am
mattbridge

have also had cambridge audio and mirantz in my time and have both been good amps. The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012

Post #90920 5th Feb 2011 12:44 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Mission speakers are also great Very Happy

Post #90923 5th Feb 2011 1:27 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

Im trying to save my pennies for an ARCAM system. Just loved the sound, went well with ARCAM, KEF or FOCAL CHORUS speskers, although I have heard it can also sound great with a set of MISSIONS.
Might have a long wait, Her indoors won't let me near another Hifi shop until I can pay cash for it though Sad

Post #90986 5th Feb 2011 8:10 pm
mattbridge

Arcam is good stuff, good choice. Can vouch for the Kef speaker, they are top draw. My bro in law has missions and always has had so also a good bet. Get saving !! The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012

Post #90994 5th Feb 2011 8:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>