Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Sidesteps from e-bay?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Biscay

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

Fitted longer 6mm pins today with normack shake proof washers ( the double type as shown in Landrover Instructions but I only got flat ones in my kit). The other pins only had 3 turns in the rivnuts and had picked up due to me streching the threads causing two rivnuts to get stuck and start turning. Consequently a right pain getting the pins out and then had to reclench the nuts.

Just a warning to others really. May be OEM steps but dont think fittings are so worth investing in longer pins and shakeproof washers. Still a good deal at £190.

Another warning, the non landrover front mud flaps are poor. Think i'll be lucky if they stay on if hit anything more than a few blades of grass.

Post #95748 19th Mar 2011 8:01 pm
Biscay

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

Hi, I want to warn everyone about the quality of these steps from this particular ebay seller.

When fitting them I noticed that the quality of the fixing bolts were poor and that no shakeproof washers were provided and so changed them.

However, had an accident last week, I drove over a railway sleeper that was unseen due to grass. Due to design of brackets front ones got smashed off. Luckily I could get out of the car but passanger side was trapped.

First issue was large nuts supposed to be same size as wheel brace wasn't sio couldnt remove as had no tools with me.

It was when stripping them down I found brackets only pop riveted on and with poor quality aluminium rivets. Also, there had been many attempts and so not much bracket metal left to re-drill elsewhere. Also found black steps had been 'bodged' in place with little bits of rubber to hold them in.

When I brought them they were listed as original equipment manufacturer but if so are made up from many scrap parts.

Post #115582 3rd Oct 2011 2:03 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

I know its not popular here to fit non LR accessories, but the side steps I got are much easier to fit. Special bolts use the holes already under the car and involve nothing more than tightening the nuts. I know they are not LR but when I take them off (which takes about 5 mins) the car is completely unmarked.

Post #115627 3rd Oct 2011 7:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123