« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Ordering a New Freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
trawlerman66

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Mauritius Blue
Ordering a New Freelander 2

Looking to buy my 3rd FL2 (3 Freelanders already purchased in total) but I have had mixed experiences from dealers. The prices quoted from dealers ( HSE or GS, undecided but all dependent on price) have not even been close to each other with some even thousands apart.

Even the dealer who I have purchases from for the last three cars told me to sell my current FL2 privately as I wouldn't be happy seeing it on the forecourt with a markup of £3,500. Cannot fault his honesty, especially when he had no used FL2s to sell.

This is the most difficulty I have ever had in purchasing a new FL2. I have been getting the feeling that they do not need the business right now.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Big Cry

Post #89581 24th Jan 2011 9:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hutchingsp

I'm sure that in January 4x4 dealers aren't going to find it difficult to sell cars.

I'm not a salesman but as I see it, it comes down to how long you can afford to wait for another customer to come along who will pay more than the guy sat in front of you who is offering to buy a vehicle.

I've just gone through this myself and the price difference between dealers is staggering, around £3k between London and the local dealer I ended up with.

Same car, same part-ex, same everything other than the location and sales policy of the dealers involved.

Post #89583 24th Jan 2011 9:20 pm
brightsparking

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Lookers seem to be favoured on here, never used them myself though.

Post #89584 24th Jan 2011 9:21 pm
trawlerman66

I would consider Lookers Park Royal but the deal would have to justify the airfare down and the drive back up

Post #89587 24th Jan 2011 9:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
brightsparking

oh maybe splitting a few hairs there to save some cash, travel down would be around a ton including tube etc to Lookers and fuel/food on way back around the same.

My neighbour works for JLR, I'll ask him for some prices on a new HSE and GS in standard trim.

Post #89591 24th Jan 2011 9:37 pm
trawlerman66

Thanks Brightspark.

I used to be able to buy a car within 10 minutes of walking into a LR Dealer, not now.

Post #89594 24th Jan 2011 9:49 pm
brightsparking

ok job done, should have prices for you tomorrow evening when he comes home. I just asked for std trim prices for HSE and GS models in silver as a guideline

Post #89595 24th Jan 2011 9:56 pm
hutchingsp

I've never actually tried this and it's always easier to say when it's someone else's money but, if you know exactly what you want to buy, and it's a "cash" sale, why not simply email (BCC) as many dealers as you can find with the spec and a "Best offer by XYZ date gets the business"?

Post #89597 24th Jan 2011 10:02 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

trawlerman66 wrote:
I would consider Lookers Park Royal but the deal would have to justify the airfare down and the drive back up

I know a few members have driven down to purchase from LPR, myself included,

I know Tim in Scotland found it more than worth while as I think he has bought 2 or three RRS/FFRR from them

End of the day James & Co will treat you very well, and will do there best to meet you at a point were your wallets like to open up, if not, nothing lost but a couple of phonecalls Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #89599 24th Jan 2011 10:09 pm
brightsparking

>>why not simply email (BCC) as many dealers as you can find with the spec and a "Best offer by XYZ date gets the business"?

don't see why this wouldn't work if you're buying new. Thumbs Up

Post #89601 24th Jan 2011 10:10 pm
trawlerman66

I like hutchingsp idea of emailing a number of Dealers with a deadline and best offer getting my business. All that would be required is a little of my time sourcing the contacts email.

Food for thought.

Post #89603 24th Jan 2011 10:19 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

One of the RRSport members recently did this, chose 2 dealers asked for best price on his new RRS, saves the hassle I suppose of trailing round dealers,

I did similar saw my current car, demo from LPR, and sorted price, and asked my old dealer if he could get anything similar on spec, answer was No! then priced new up on same spec and was ££££ out without getting full spec on

Then had a whinge when I called in the following day after collecting to get it's towbar on, even though he said he couldn't come close to LPR deal On spec or price Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #89604 24th Jan 2011 10:20 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'm not quite sure how I did it but when we changed our D3 for the FL our best/worse changeing price differed by as near as makes no difference 5K.

What's more, they were all the same franchise name that I went to see!

It did hurt to see how quick the sale was, and how much mark up there was on the D3 however, suppose that's how we got a decent deal with that particular dealer! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #89611 24th Jan 2011 10:40 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I always like to look what my old cars go up for, but I expect a fair increase with things they have to do to them to get them approved used and make a profit on top Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #89616 24th Jan 2011 10:44 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Ye that's true, from what I understand ours went to Kent somewhere so there was travelling involved with it also!

Funnily enough our D3 is apparently worth more now than it was 2 years ago...I wish I'd bought that off my family instead of getting my Leon Big Cry

Actually that's a bit unfair, Leon's a cracking car for me at the moment Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #89636 24th Jan 2011 11:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>