« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > First tow!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 
First tow!

Gave my SD4 its first taste of shed dragging today and it loved it! Hardly knew it was there - superbly confident and very impressed with the brakes.

Actually my van was off for its annual service but we had to tow past one of the local landmarks and I couldn't resist a photo - uploaded to my gallery.

First real trip in the van should be the second weekend in February - once the snow has returned! Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #89258 22nd Jan 2011 3:05 pm
andw

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

looks almost like a sales pic looks good though Thumbs Up

Post #89268 22nd Jan 2011 3:36 pm
EYorkshire

Nice, one compliments the other Thumbs Up

Post #89272 22nd Jan 2011 3:51 pm
Rob_c

United Kingdom 

Skypilot.
I'm new to the forum having just placed an order for a SD4 due in March, been browsing for a few days but this is my first post.
I will be towing so glad to hear your impressed.looks to me as if you tow a challenger 580, same as myself.

Post #89275 22nd Jan 2011 4:25 pm
ad210358

England 

I was expecting the SD4 to be very comfortable with a trailer Whistle behind, the TD4 is no slouch either its a shame that you get held up by Censored tractors. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #89280 22nd Jan 2011 5:14 pm
R1JIM

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black

don't care much for the trailer Whistle but would be intersted to know where that plane is and how you got so close ??? TO DARE IS TO DO

Post #89315 22nd Jan 2011 10:16 pm
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

R1JIM wrote:
don't care much for the trailer Whistle but would be intersted to know where that plane is and how you got so close ???

607 is at RAF Waddington between the main runway and the A15 - put the GPS into Google maps and switch to satellite view:

53.174941,-0.513576

Follow the A15 south a little and you can see the compound where my van gets stored.... Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #89370 23rd Jan 2011 2:11 pm
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

Rob_c wrote:
Skypilot.
I'm new to the forum having just placed an order for a SD4 due in March, been browsing for a few days but this is my first post.
I will be towing so glad to hear your impressed.looks to me as if you tow a challenger 580, same as myself.

560 actually - Island fixed bed. Wasn't quite comfortable behind my CRV (1489 - not within the 85%, although never gave any problems) - ideally suited to the SD4 I think, apart from the fuel consumption, but then you can't have everything! Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #89371 23rd Jan 2011 2:15 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Schoolboy error Skypilot, you've just made it public knowledge where your caravan's kept, is anyone wondering why CG isn't commenting on anything... Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #89385 23rd Jan 2011 4:01 pm
EYorkshire

No matter, I would think a compound within an RAF base is quite secure Thumbs Up

Post #89392 23rd Jan 2011 5:02 pm
Rob_c

United Kingdom 

I'm coming over to the Freelander from a Touareg v6 tdi which was giving about 22 mpg towing and about 26-28 solo so hoping the FL will be noticeably better,I'd had the Touareg for over 2 years and ready for a change and wanted something that is all round cheaper to run.

Post #89448 23rd Jan 2011 10:32 pm
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

Big Dave wrote:
Schoolboy error Skypilot, you've just made it public knowledge where your caravan's kept...

Laughing If people want to steal caravans it's not difficult to find where the storage sites are and even to check them out for access from Google.

In my case they would have to get past the armed guards and the guard dog patrols - I think there are easier targets to be had, even from a COSA Gold! Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #89458 23rd Jan 2011 11:25 pm
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

Rob_c wrote:
I'm coming over to the Freelander from a Touareg v6 tdi which was giving about 22 mpg towing and about 26-28 solo so hoping the FL will be noticeably better,I'd had the Touareg for over 2 years and ready for a change and wanted something that is all round cheaper to run.

Which begs the question as to why the Freelander SD4 isn't that much better! Personally I think it's time that someone took LR to court for their outrageous mpg figures which are nothing like what people actually get.

My CRV was advertised at 44 mpg and I usually got 40/42 solo.

The SD4 is quoted at 40 mpg and I'm getting about 30 solo - which TBH is outrageous. Not yet sure about towing but I'm not holding my breath for much above 22 mpg.

I used to get 28 mpg solo from a 2.8L Shogun Auto. Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #89460 23rd Jan 2011 11:32 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I gave my car park ticket to some other tourists in Windemere this morning, then I noticed a 'caravan club' sticker on their car, Mrs G struggled to stop me from demanding it back Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #89522 24th Jan 2011 3:37 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Skypilot,you might not like your mpg cf LR official figures but you cannot blame LR
Their published results are via the official tests, see http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/information/consumption.asp
Near lab conditions do not compare with real life......
Happy days at 133.9p per litre!
JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #89646 25th Jan 2011 1:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>