« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > MANUAL GEARBOX WILL NOT SELECT ANY GEARS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Phil Parkin

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black
MANUAL GEARBOX WILL NOT SELECT ANY GEARS

Hi I have a 2006 reg freelander 2 TD4, 6 speed manual. Just in the last week driven it down here to Spain ran great. My wife went shoppinng in it and left lights on. Had to jump start. Left on charge overnight, took charge well. Started and runs fine this morning, but will not select any gears. Gear lever will travel across but will not move forwards and backwards into any gears. Do not know if two events are connected or just a coincidence. Used car for 10 miles between jump start and leaving overnight on charge & transmission seamed fine
Can anyone throw any light on this prior to me trying my pigeon Spanish out on the natives
thanks alot
regards Phil

Post #88770 20th Jan 2011 10:53 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

did the battery box lid or something else fall off and land on the gear selectors? they are just below the battery, if not oil the selector cables and try again At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #88772 20th Jan 2011 11:01 am
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Good idea CG. Thumbs Up Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #88783 20th Jan 2011 12:22 pm
Phil Parkin

Hi Chicken George
No nothing dropped on them. I have just been having a look at it, removed cover around gear lever, all OK in there.
The sideways movement of the lever moves the top selector cable/lever where you are describing on top of the gearbox, but the other selector arm underneath that is worked from the second cable appears to be locked/jambed. Well it does not move when I try to manually move it
I have looked at another site where L/R have issued a Special Service Message 44149 that states that the Ball pin on the transmission shift lever at the gearbox end can work its way out if it is not tightened to torque and become loose. They suggest that this should be considered if a customer reports gearshift linkage problems.
This is the best I have come up with so far
Thanks for the reply
regards
Phil

Post #88784 20th Jan 2011 12:24 pm
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Wish I could advise Phil, but good luck getting it sorted. Thumbs Up Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #88786 20th Jan 2011 12:29 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I don't know the answer as I was thinking along the same lines with regard to something fallen to block the selector but I think it must just be coincidental with the jump starting. Unless by some bizarre reason it was earthing through the cable and it's welded itself. I remember once I'd changed the engine in my old Viva and forgot to attach the earthing strap to the block, it earthed through the clutch cable which fused itself together. DOH Rolling Eyes

I'd say that's the longest of long shots though. Just strange timing. For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #88787 20th Jan 2011 12:37 pm
Phil Parkin

Thanks for your time, when I do get to the bottom of it I will post the results. Strange timing is that like "sods law"
regards Phil

Post #88789 20th Jan 2011 12:51 pm
ajuniper

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

It's pretty easy to check the linkage connections on the gear stick end without tools.

Check the details in this thread for how to remove the trim and gaiter: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic7445.html

FWIW, in the past, on much older cars, I too have had the engine earthing through non standard paths, namely the accelerator cable, which gets hot and sticky and then reluctant to return to idle...

Post #88840 20th Jan 2011 5:48 pm
neuronet

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Alaska White

I got an experience very similar to this one. While descending a street I was playing arond 4th .. 5th a couple of times ... then I put the 6th but after this operation it was not possible to select any other gear! Something like the lever got in stall and any attempt I tryed to unlock the lever was useless.
I felt in panic for a while and I was close to stop the car breaking when suddenly I succeeded to unlock the lever.
It was a very bad experience and the only thing I can immagine is that I wrongly selected the reverse gear instead of 6th and the gearbox got stalled for this. I will ask to the Dealer about this experience soon.

[edit]

I got answers form the dealer who explained me the problem:

I just pressed the lever on the right while running slowly and when the car started descending and gaining speed the solenoid started to lock the rear gear while the lever was still on the right side. This causes the locking of the lever.
In such cases just stop the gar and play a bit with the lever in order to unlock it.

Post #91003 5th Feb 2011 9:49 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I would imagine its something to do with the solenoid lock that prevents reverse being selected when going forwards? I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #92607 20th Feb 2011 1:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1