« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2011 Facelift - The Complete Low Down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 14 123 ... 121314>
Print this entire topic · 
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
2011 Facelift - The Complete Low Down

OK, all complete. The following has been done on my car today now that the parts have come back from the bodyshop.

Apologies for the picture quality, I forgot to take my camera and these are from my phone.

Front Bumper Assembly (TD4 or SD4, I have chosen the SD4 version)
Rear Lights
Third Brake Light
Rear Handle
New LR Badges
New 3rd Brake Light.

Firstly I changed the badges.

Here is the bumper all freshly painted.

Then onto the rear handle.

1) Remove the rear handle by taking off the boot trim and removing the nuts from the handle studs, unplug the switch and remove from tailgate.

2) Remove the switch and number plate lights from the original handle and re-fit into the new handle.

We then used special strips of plastic with a lug on them, these locate into the screw holes on the new handle and stick out top and bottom as you can see.

Only two of the original handle holes can be used, these are the two with the locating lugs for the new handle.

You then remove the handle and it leaves the plastic strips behind but in the right location for drilling.

Here is another view of these strips in place so you can see the lugs that you use as a jig for drilling.

I didn't do the drilling, so my friend John who works in the Vauxhall bodyshop I use did it for me as he has a very steady hand at this sort of thing!

For the two outside screws, we needed to make a new hole each side on the inner skin so we could fit the screws, so we used a hole saw and made new holes just big enough to fit the socket through. We then fitted grommets to cover the holes once the screws were in place, although the whole thing is cover by the boot trim. Then the new handle could be fitted perfectly.

I also used my touch up stick to paint around the new holes and allowed to dry.

These two pictures also show the new 2011 rear light clusters, and new 3rd brake light.

This completed the rear end conversion for the 2011 Facelift.

Then onto the front.

Simply remove the front bumper, and re-fit the new 2011 bumper, it is as simple as that, just make sure you remove the central locating lug behind the grill as it won't fit the existing slam panel.

The 2011 bumper still only has two screw holes for the splash guards, so the 3rd hole still needs to be drilled and screwed.

Here is the finished article. As mine has the AFL Xenon headlights, it makes the 2011 upgrade look more authentic as the 2011MY has the projector headlights as standard.

Heres a couple of pics, but I will take some new pics at the weekend when the car has been cleaned properly.

All comments appreciated !! Thumbs Up Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #88715 19th Jan 2011 10:31 pm
Marky

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Looks great Mav, well done Thumbs Up 2010 FL2 XS Auto in Santorini Black with HSE alloys

Post #88717 19th Jan 2011 10:51 pm
Kershaw 39

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Orkney Grey

looks great.... if you don't mind me asking what does it all add up to roughly? also what are you doing with your sportsgrill? fancy selling it?

Post #88718 19th Jan 2011 10:58 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Looks good, though drilling for the rear handle is a little worrying if you want to swap back Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #88719 19th Jan 2011 11:07 pm
Mav71

Kershaw 39 wrote:
looks great.... if you don't mind me asking what does it all add up to roughly? also what are you doing with your sportsgrill? fancy selling it?

I will keep the bumper to be honest so I have the option to put back.

Regarding costs, I reckon it all has cost me about £550 for all the parts including paint for the bumper and handle. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #88723 19th Jan 2011 11:31 pm
Mav71

npinks wrote:
Looks good, though drilling for the rear handle is a little worrying if you want to swap back Whistle

I have thought of this, in December 2011, it will be five years old, and as we will keep it well into next year will potential buyers be put off with a near on 6 year old car?

Also my friend at the Bodyshop shop told me that if I ever wanted to reverse it, he would weld the holes, finish and paint the tailgate from the window down so all would be back to standard and it would cost me about the same as what I would get for the handle. So although I wouldn't make any money on it, it allows me to go back without actually costing me anything.

So all avenues have been explored! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #88725 19th Jan 2011 11:38 pm
dunroof

Exceptional work, well done. Thumbs Up

Post #88728 20th Jan 2011 12:05 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I did think you will have thought about it, welding holes did come to mind aswell as a replacement off eBay

Looks good as said, maybe some better pics with a camera will do it more justice Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #88730 20th Jan 2011 12:11 am
Junior

England 

Brilliant job Mav, stuff like this is what a good Motors forum is all about Thumbs Up

Post #88735 20th Jan 2011 12:31 am
Mav71

npinks wrote:
I did think you will have thought about it, welding holes did come to mind aswell as a replacement off eBay

Looks good as said, maybe some better pics with a camera will do it more justice Wink

I actually didn't think of a replacement tailgate off eBay! Good thinking! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #88754 20th Jan 2011 8:44 am
athelstan

Mav71
That is a great "refresh" you have completed - well done. Bow down

I wanted to do the front update but never received a reply from the eBay seller to my email......... Evil or Very Mad

If I could still get the new front I'd use your garage now that they have experience of this procedure and the fact that you clearly are very pleased with the result. As for the rear, well I do like the new rear light cluster and the clear lens for the high level brake light - but - I wouldn't do the tailgate handle update as I like the short one.

Congratulations Thumbs Up

Post #88766 20th Jan 2011 10:41 am
dunroof

Difficult to say without seeing the rear bar, but instead of the two screws at the extemities, double sides tape, like the numberplate is held on with? Could that be an option?

Post #88767 20th Jan 2011 10:48 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Thumbs Up Good Job - does'nt look 4 yrs old! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #88769 20th Jan 2011 10:50 am
dunroof

The email for Natasha at NE Solutions re a new bumper

<snip>

Post #88775 20th Jan 2011 11:43 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Company name is fine, but martins commercial posting rules mean no contact details (but if they PM Thumbs Up )

Or contact the Site sponsors parts department for your forum discount Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #88820 20th Jan 2011 2:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 14 123 ... 121314>