« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Looking to buy my First FL
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jas

United Kingdom 
Looking to buy my First FL

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and am looking to buy a used FL2. I could do with some advice. I have about 22k and want a HSE.
What can I get for that sort of money?
Main Dealer or not?
They seem quite expensive, would it be better to hold off till better weather arrives?
Whats the general opinion with regards to reliability of the FL2? Anything to look out for?
Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Post #87587 11th Jan 2011 8:22 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi & welcome, even though I'm new myself.

I dont think there's any doubt that prices are pretty high at the mo and it would make financial sense to wait till spring, but if you're like me then you want one now Smile

Have a plough through this place and you'll get a feel for the reliability and issues.

Steve For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #87598 11th Jan 2011 9:18 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Hi jas and welcome to the forum Thumbs Up

First of all you obviously have the choice between auto and manual (see the blood thirsty topic in the general section for opinions on that) Laughing
The point is that autos will hold their value slightly better so will be dearer to pick up, manuals are more economical, so swings and roundabouts. Anyway, bad timing as you noticed as they are in demand at the moment. Spring/Summer would be best when we 4x4 folks are the villians again as opposed to our current hero status. I bought mine from new in April and have encountered a weird single knock when accelerating or braking which has been resolved now. Other than that no trouble thus far (touch wood). There might be some minor electrical issues, the higher up the range the more gizmos there are to fail etc. The clutch has been known to go on manuals and there is a problem with autos but I cant remember what as I dont own one. Npinks or one of the others will tell you better.

I would say go with main dealer. Check out the LR approved used scheme on the website, gives better peace of mind me thinks.

Finally, get in touch with Lookers Park Royal who sponsor this website. They are most helpful and will help find the right car for you. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #87599 11th Jan 2011 9:19 pm
jas

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies folks, I've decided I'm going to go for an HSE and go to the main dealer. Will wait till spring and hopefully the 4 x 4 frenzy will be over and may get a couple of shillings off

Post #88568 18th Jan 2011 5:29 pm
eskdale

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey
Freelander 2 HST

Hi,
Selling my Freelander 2 HST Auto stornaway grey 08/08, Big Cry Big Cry now need two cars....its up for sale
PM if any takers Eskdale Thumbs Up

FSDH

19" shadow chrome and 17" alloy wheels with contis and extreme 4

Full tank of fuel plus flowers for the wife/girlfriend/partner.

Can deliver,i will walk back if i get the right price

Just over 30k miles

Before someone shouts at me,wrong section sorry Embarassed

Post #88569 18th Jan 2011 5:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

how much for just the flowers? I have bridges to mend Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #88570 18th Jan 2011 5:56 pm
PaulC

United Kingdom 
Re: Freelander 2 HST

eskdale wrote:

Sounds like a fair swap to me Rolling with laughter

Post #88572 18th Jan 2011 6:09 pm
weirdfish

Re: Freelander 2 HST

PaulC wrote:
eskdale wrote:

Sounds like a fair swap to me Rolling with laughter

Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #88574 18th Jan 2011 6:47 pm
EXPENCELANDER

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Wait until Summer when the fuel is £2 per litre and 4x4s are at the cheapest price.
Mines an HSe but in my personal opinion it's over gizmoed, to many things to take your eyes off the raod.
3 months I've had it and still learning about the heating/aircon system and Dynamic Stability control (DSC)
Nice Armchair driving but I would not take it off road like I did with my Freelander1, to darned expencive for that.
Handbrake and seat belt socket obliterated by the arm rest. Storage up front is abismal so dont think you can stow a load of helpful items, gone overboard on Drinks holders though, against the law to have a mobile phone in your hand but LR designers think it's OK to have 6 hot drink holders in the car,Drink Driving takes on a new dimension, just wait til one gets tipped over!!!!. Offset your Carbon emissions by boycotting Baked Beans and all Green Vegitables.

Post #88591 18th Jan 2011 9:34 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

EXPENCELANDER wrote:
Wait until Summer when the fuel is £2 per litre and 4x4s are at the cheapest price.
Mines an HSe but in my personal opinion it's over gizmoed, to many things to take your eyes off the raod.
3 months I've had it and still learning about the heating/aircon system and Dynamic Stability control (DSC)
Nice Armchair driving but I would not take it off road like I did with my Freelander1, to darned expencive for that.
Handbrake and seat belt socket obliterated by the arm rest. Storage up front is abismal so dont think you can stow a load of helpful items, gone overboard on Drinks holders though, against the law to have a mobile phone in your hand but LR designers think it's OK to have 6 hot drink holders in the car,Drink Driving takes on a new dimension, just wait til one gets tipped over!!!!.

The drink holders are an american thing... americans like drink holders so to sell a car in america it needs drink holders. The new X3 was designed around its drink holders! ( http://www.leftlanenews.com/whats-the-bigg...lders.html )

Oh and I would not do away with the arm rests - I tried one without and I kept falling out of the chair, and at least they move so you can get belt on easy... also aircon is simple, you put it on auto and set the temprature - simples Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #88616 18th Jan 2011 11:00 pm
younger

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Hi jas and welcome, Had our xs manual 1 year now 56/07 24000 miles when we bought it 34000 miles now.Bought LR approved from yeovil landrover (would use them again)no problem with reliability.Some little things done under warranty (seat belt cutting into trim ,oil leak,boot switch,key fob)All round a good car.Keep looking on the landrover used car website and hope you find one soon.
Cheers Andy

p.s good fun in the snow.

Post #88617 18th Jan 2011 11:09 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Anyway back on topic....

If you can wait till spring - the prices will come down and there should be more choice but dont let that stop you getting one now if you cant wait!

I wanted a HSE Auto but settled for a 3yr old SE auto with leather, 6 cd and then just put HSE alloys on. It comes with most of the toys of the HSE except memory seats, auto recirculation and the 15 speaker logic stereo thingy but I have to say that what I have got is superb.

I came out of a BMW and so was worried about reliability but I did plently of research on this and whilst I think LR has a less than perfect record the Freel is their most reliable car and generally is upto par with other marques... that said I would always go LR approved if you can just for the piece of mind.

Auto is brilliant - suits it down to a T and the extra expense is well worth it.

Sat Nav is good (despite what others say)... its no tom tom but is better than other built in units i've used. It will do full post code search and you can split the screen giving two views. Its not very good at redirecting you though if you go off route as it will take you back to the original route unless you tell it to do a diversion.

The Sunroofs are a nice touch also, they may creak in the ice a bit but they give the car an airy feeling and the kids love them.

As for my car, I bought it with 40k on the clock about 4 months agohad a few little niggles when i bought it which were all sorted and with the exception of a dodgy key it has been perfect ever since Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Last edited by Captain Worm on 18th Jan 2011 11:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #88618 18th Jan 2011 11:11 pm
weirdfish

Remember to factor in depreciation of any part-ex too. I predicted that I would lose about 750 quid on my car if I'd waited till April, Plus it was due a service & MOT in that time so there was another 300 or so.

It would still have made slightly more financial sense to wait, but I wanted one NOW, and to be fair if the decision was purely financial, I would have kept what I had for a few years. For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #88621 18th Jan 2011 11:32 pm
AndyMCFC

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

I picked up an 07 HSE 20K miles for £20k just before Christmas from main dealer, very happy with it Thumbs Up FL2 07 HSE Zermatt Silver

Post #88634 19th Jan 2011 12:31 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Welcome Jas,

Try here http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/se...=8525,8245

Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #88706 19th Jan 2011 9:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>