« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Tell me about televisions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey
Tell me about televisions

Starting to look for a new telly to replace my 'CRT' one. What's best, Plasma, LED Backlit or plain old LCD? What make? Quite like a 37" Panasonic Plasma which I have seen for about 400 notes. Any opinions?
Cheers.

Post #88215 15th Jan 2011 11:20 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

If you're looking under 40" I'd say go with LCD.

Lots of good info over at www.avforums.com

Smile For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #88220 15th Jan 2011 11:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have a panasonic plasma, very good picture, and good levels of blackness

you need to look at getting a good contrast ratio on which ever tv you opt for

Have a look at the Panasonic G20 range very very good TV, though I have seen the 42" I'm not sure if it's available in 37"

Forget LCD, go Samsung LED again I have seen it playing bluray at 1080p and they are very good

If your going panasonic, I got 5years warranty FOC by buying in store

I got mine from these guys, very good when it comes to knowledge if all things AV

http://www.soundandvision.co.uk/tv/plasma/...-low-price Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #88222 15th Jan 2011 11:33 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Due to the light on LCD, plasma has the better blacks. Go to a store to view them but please choose an independent local store. I used to work in such a store and sell tv's etc and we offered far superior service to currys et al. Big stores do not want to know once they have sold you the item.

Panasonic are the best. We have a Pana LCD in the lounge and an LG upstairs, LG are very good too. Most pana's have 5 year warranty now and most have either freeview HD or freesat HD tuners built in.

I have a phillips blu-ray player hooked up to my LG 32" LCD in the bedroom and the picture is awesome.

3D is good, I saw the shop demo on a pana but the glasses would do my head in and they are still pricey.

My mate is the manager of the local shop I used to work at, if you were from around here (Derbyshire) I might be able to help you get a deal. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #88223 15th Jan 2011 11:34 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks Guys. Panasonic it is I think, took a look today and thought it was way better than the LCDs next to it. Probably plump for buying it from Richer Sounds as they are the best price and have had good service from them in the past. Doc, unfortunately I'm darn sarf innit.

Post #88225 16th Jan 2011 12:05 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

we bought a plasma because the glass screen is easier to clean, esp with little people in the house At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #88226 16th Jan 2011 12:24 am
dunroof

Recently got a Samsung LED Freeview HD TV. Very, very thin, very good picture I've had LCD and plasma, beats the socks off them.

Talking of which, if you are on Sky, which a lot are, a few tips. Phone them and say you want to save money, but not forfit any channelss, what deals do they have. I do this every year. I got all the 6 basic channels plus both my movie channels for 32.40 a month for 6 months, then back up to 40.50 for the other 6 months. A 12 month contract. On top of that I told them my standard box could do with being replaced, so I've got a reconditioned Sky HD plus box coming Monday week. Dish etc to be upgraded too. Cost for this absolutely nothing, dont have to do HD, Multiroom nor do I have to pay for installation, plus I get to keep the old Sky box and they'll connect it up for free to view channels. If you dont ask, you dont get.

Almost as good as my broadband provider whos giving me unlimited downloads, no restrictions at all for 14.99 a month, basically a tenner a month discount held on an 18 month contract. I dont even have to change from BT line rental or take their call plan. Plus, I wanted a new N type wireless router by Netgear. They did try to get me to take an ordinary one at no cost, but I told them I'd like extra and fater coverage. 30 quid to you my man I was told. A little later they gave up, a free router and I pay a fiver for postage.

And there's more, but it's a little late.

Post #88229 16th Jan 2011 2:28 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Samsung LED's are brilliant. I have the 46"er Series 6. The Series 9 has awesome features.
As the previous poster mentioned, they are very thin approx. 3cm and VERY light, so you don't need lots of huge bolts to hold it on the wall if you so wish.
You can get a Samsung wall mounter kit for them which consists of a wire rope on the wall and the TV just hangs like a picture.

Post #88231 16th Jan 2011 4:43 am
Jibers

United Kingdom 

Take a look at this from LG. Its the very latest with next to no boarder around the edges of the tv. Plus it is LED so very thin, and it's 3D ready.

http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/televi...LX9900.jsp

If you compare to all others on the Market the bezel around the edges is by far the thinnest and it has a single sheet of what looks like glass across the entire front edge to edge meaning no dust collection and great for kids fingermark cleaning.
Sony will be bringing out their version in a few months called 'monolith' which is basically the same concept with thin bezel. This is the way all tv's will go this year.
LG just stole the march.

Post #88233 16th Jan 2011 9:33 am
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

It's a personal preference, view before you buy.
Plasma has a softer image, led pin sharp. Some prefer the softer image others like ot pin sharp.
It's the same with audio some like thumping bass, others a clear sharp sound. Thumbs Up Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #88235 16th Jan 2011 10:12 am
ad15

Pioneer Kuro,,, unbeatable,, Mr. Green

Post #88242 16th Jan 2011 11:31 am
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

ad15 wrote:
Pioneer Kuro,,, unbeatable,, Mr. Green

sold mine and got a pany vt20 even better Thumbs Up freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #88265 16th Jan 2011 3:00 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Haven't pioneer stopped making TVs? And there Tech sold to another brand (insert brand when I remember) ? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #88296 16th Jan 2011 7:03 pm
maffs

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Re: Tell me about televisions

mojo wrote:
Starting to look for a new telly to replace my 'CRT' one. What's best, Plasma, LED Backlit or plain old LCD? What make? Quite like a 37" Panasonic Plasma which I have seen for about 400 notes. Any opinions?
Cheers.

You should be able to get a 42" panasonic plasma for this money (give or take). If £400 is your budget i'd stick with plasma. Good brands for your money inc.(not definitive): LG, Panasonic, Samsung.

Have a look at this link. Its simple but it'll point you in the right direction and fill in some blanks:
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmat...s-lcd.html

Post #88304 16th Jan 2011 8:05 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

npinks wrote:
Haven't pioneer stopped making TVs? And there Tech sold to another brand (insert brand when I remember) ?

some of their tech's went to work with panasonic and apparently so did some of the technology behind the tvs freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #88306 16th Jan 2011 8:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>