Home > General > Failed Heated Front Screen and Dealer Excuses
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
andrewprd

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
Failed Heated Front Screen and Dealer Excuses

Can anyone please help.

I have a Freelander II HSE which is still under warranty.
Two fairly large sections of my heated front screen do not work. I have known this for some time but was told I needed photograhic proof and had to wait until last weeks frosts for the evidence. The screen is fine in every other respect. My dealer says he has found stone chips and this will mean the screen cannot be replaced under warranty. They must have used a magnifying glass because I clean the car regularly and I cannot find any stone chips anywhere.

I know they are looking for excuses but I wonder if anyone else has had this sort of poor dealer response.

I have had the car six months and am delighted with it so far but as far as customer service goes I am very disappointed. I am rapidly losing confidence in Land Rover. I never had this sort of reponse before I changed to this car.

Sorry to go on but I am really annoyed.

Post #79411 28th Oct 2010 12:36 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Heated front screens are a really difficult one on warranty as they are notorious for failing. I have had four cars now with Heated front screens and three had issues. Never even occured to me to try and get it repaired on warranty...

Why don't you ask the guy that found the stone chips to show you them! Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #79422 28th Oct 2010 1:53 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

any repaired stone chips?

As said though, it is a hard one to be done on warranty and have heard of others having the same problem

I would return and ask them to show the chip that has resulted in a failed claim

I presume it will have to be in the area of not been heated, a chip on the opposite side will have no effect as the ellements come up and down

Or go to another dealer for a 2nd opinion Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #79428 28th Oct 2010 2:25 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Another dealer would be my recommendation.

We had our heaated screen replaced in our Ford Focus recently, and the glass guy said, upon seeing that we had a Freely, that if a stone chips the LR screen, and disturbs an element, a whole segment of elements stops working. However this doesn't mean to say that you have chips it could be faults with an element causing a huge area to fail.

Our Disco 3 did exactly the same right in my line of sight when I was driving!

Tell the dealer to steam the windscreen up...surely it's not that hard for them!! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #79436 28th Oct 2010 3:14 pm
Ticktock

Go ballistic with the dealer pincipal and/or Group MD. I offered the guy 100 quid to a charity of his choice if he could show me a chip, next thing after checking with LR, a new windscreen under warranty.

Post #79442 28th Oct 2010 4:04 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

If they are saying stone chips that cause windscreen faults mean that you can't claim under warranty then get them to verify this with a contract term (i.e smallprint). They will also need to show evidence that it is the chip that has caused the fault. Always remember your rights under S.14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #79449 28th Oct 2010 4:58 pm
Big Dave

To try and blame it on a stone chip is a bit rich...All cars get nicks in the windscreen in my experience to make a heated screen stop working it has to be a fairly severe chip, something that would be obvious standing beyond the bonnet away from the car. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #79453 28th Oct 2010 7:04 pm
andrewprd

Thank you for all your responses.

The stone chip has been found. It appears to be a tiny nick in the middle of the screen at the bottom near the wipers. I've cleaned the car many times and not noticed this because its so small. It also occurs in an area of screen where the heater is actually working.

The dealer's response. "Before a replacement screen can be sanctioned; any stone chips have to be notified and then chances of Land Rover agreeing to the work are virtually zero". There is no doubt in my mind that the failure of the elements (approx a third of the screen in total) has nothing to do with the minor stone chip. What is obvious is:-

Dealers (This Dealer) do not care a jot about customer care even with a £35000 car. They could so easliy take the common sense view and ignore this minor blemish. It is clear that they are under instructions to find any reason they can for not honouring the 3 year warranty.

I think I might be able to get a replacement under my car insurance but pay a £75 excess. I am looking into this. This whole episode has left me very disppointed with Land Rover. I am sure other manufacturers probably operate these very unjust policies. Anyway - Back to Work !!

Post #79488 29th Oct 2010 9:03 am
ad15

is your dealer yeovil? if not,,, try them,,

re the chip.. i am on screen number 3 this year in the D3,, the last one was fitted poorly and does not heat,,, is being swapped again,,

ask them to show you how a chip in the middle would affect the element on the edge..

if all else fails,,, insurance,, but you might need a bigger chip... Whistle

Post #79490 29th Oct 2010 9:13 am
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Have the same problem with the heaters. I'm down to 4 4cm wide stripes that is working Sad
Have an appointment at the dealer next Friday. FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #79491 29th Oct 2010 9:37 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

A small nick in the glass wouldn't do anything, you would need a full on chip, which would need to be repaired or the screen replaced to break a heating element.

I have had these types of chips, and had them repaired and the screen elements still work

dealer BS to get out of a claim/hassle of swapping a window Evil or Very Mad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #79492 29th Oct 2010 10:06 am
Big Dave

Andrew try another dealer, but a chip as small as you're describing obviously isn't causing problems as it would only stop an area around where the chip is. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #79495 29th Oct 2010 10:59 am
andrewprd

What a friendly Forum this is. Thank you for all your suggestions.

I will try another dealer. I have a couple of options and will you know how I get on.

Thank you once again. Have a good weekend.

AndrewPRD

Post #79527 29th Oct 2010 5:03 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Confront them and demand evidence as to the chip causing the problem. They can't just say it and thats the end of it.

Please please please get something in writing about their reasons including a quote for a new window from LR because if another dealer does it for you then you can report them to trading standards. What they are doing seems to be contrary to the supply of goods and services act 1982 section 13 and probably the consumer protection from unfair trading regulations 2008. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #79535 29th Oct 2010 6:59 pm
Junior

England 

Get the chip repaired free of charge on your insurance (most Insurance co.s) before going to the second dealer-so he has no reason to reject your warranty claim-if that fails it's half a brick and £75 excess Whistle

Post #79550 29th Oct 2010 9:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>