Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Park brake light(handbrake)?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
emsab

2007 LR2 i6 SE Auto Narvik Black
Park brake light(handbrake)?

The light is far to hard to see during the day. I pulled it up today when i parked and went into a store and when i came back in the car forgot about it as it's not something i normally do. Didn't event see the light on in the mph screen! I ended up driving 5 miles with it up!!!

can this do major damage to my lr2????

Post #5608 18th Aug 2007 7:18 am
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I am sorry to say this and please forgive me but sometimes common sense must provail. My mother stopped wiping my butt when i was three!! There reaches a point where you personally need to think what you are doing, I realise the Americans need a sign at the top of a ladder to say 'stop climbing' and McDonalds needed to print on the coffee (again for the American market) 'Caution filling may be hot'.....surely some things are obvious???????....I also heard that an American tried suing a Winnie Baggo (apologies if spelling wrong) manufacturer as he put the thing on cruise control and complained that it crashed when he left the cab to go for a pi55 in the back!!!!

If you never noticed your engine straining with the handbrake on you must be blind or stupid....I guess since you can drive you ain't blind!!............ Banging Head Banging Head Thud

Post #5754 24th Aug 2007 11:38 pm
lrlr2

Germany 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Nazca Sand

wow, lets build friendships whilst we are on this forum.

i doubt no real damage, I would think that the UK poster did more to his online persona than you did to your brakes.

Last edited by lrlr2 on 25th Aug 2007 9:37 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #5763 25th Aug 2007 8:43 am
carlfraz

Dear lrlr2,

The Brits are known for our 'sarcastic' and 'ironic' sense of humour Twisted Evil and it is World known.....I admit that mine can be more extreme than others, from previous postings you may have seen this Whistle Whistle

In my defence Thumbs Up most of the questions here on the site are worthy of a reply as the issues are not of the owners making, such that if I had driven into a wall after two weeks of owning my car (as I did do!!!!, no I am not stupid....in this case i am just BLIND Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter ) I would not come on the site and ask 'what damage have i done, or what should I do next??'. I would come on here and say what a 'tit' I had been.

Since our good friend in the states 'emsab' has asked our next action, I would have checked brakes were operating OK, see if any difference in performance, after letting them cool down as driven for 5 miles whilst on, they may be a touch..ermmm.....warm-hot!!!

If I was concerned I would take to the dealer. Worst thing you may have done is lost a few hundred miles from your discs and pads, and possibly cooked the face of the pad. These can be removed and scrubbed to remove the 'cooked' surface, but should be done by someone experienced at this, not just anybody with a 'brillo pad'. If your brakes start squeeking then for sure you have cooked the face of the pads, so nothing serious, plus extra brake dust to normal on the rear wheels.

Emsab - If offense has been caused, I will withdraw my comments and hereby openly apologise to you and forum members. My comments about Liverpudlians did not stir a response, and they are complete 'headcases' Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Over and out Big Cry

Post #5767 25th Aug 2007 9:30 am
m1964

United States 

carlfraz wrote:
If you never noticed your engine straining with the handbrake on you must be blind or stupid....I guess since you can drive you ain't blind!!............ Banging Head Banging Head Thud

Hey, you forget we can only get nice and strong 3.2L I-6 here in the US, so if the parking brake was apllied lightly, driver may not notice at first, as the engine pulls up quite well from the stop.

As for damage-I don'r know if LR2 uses same pads for regular and parking braking, or (like some cars) uses parking brake shoes. if the later, then no damage to regular brakes.

Post #5785 26th Aug 2007 1:22 am
emsab

2007 LR2 i6 SE Auto Narvik Black

No offence taken carl!

The car is working fine, haven't had a problem.Thank God!!!!!
I just got seriously concerned as the car was only about a week and a half old!
I actually never noticed the engine straining as i didnt pull the brake hard, just a notch or 2.fraz

Post #5805 27th Aug 2007 11:44 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
parking brake .....

I'm rather surprised that our American friend even used the parking brake ...

My experience of driving in the USA is that the parking brake is almost never used, stick it in PARK and that's it ...

I've seen this tactic employed on many, many cars without the slightest problem, I hope our beloved LR2 can also deal with this.

I've just returned from 2+ weeks in Ohio, saw a number of LR3's and Range Rovers, even a couple of FL1's but not no FL2's; hope that FL2 makes it to OH soon......

Post #5810 28th Aug 2007 3:15 am
carlfraz

Emsab, I know what you mean, you craddle your new car with care as you drive it, park it , leave it anywhere....fearful of that first scratch, stone chip, or worse.... some bird crapping on it. I found the best solution to the last point was just pay her afterwards Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #5829 28th Aug 2007 9:49 pm
superkoala

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

Thud how come I never found that solution
thanks for the tip carlfraz Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter 

Post #5834 29th Aug 2007 8:35 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1