« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Washing regime
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

UKdave104 wrote:
On the subject of car cleaning. Can anyone suggest a polish or wax type stuff to put on the alloy wheels to stop the brake dust sticking so much. At the moment I wash the wheels once a week but boy do they take some cleaning.

Auto glym do a alloy wheel seal spray, spray it on polish, helps a little

Think some on here also mentioned ceramic brake pads, been less dusty

Tired of brake dust cleaning thread (found by searching "ceramic")

Post #9439 2nd Nov 2007 11:17 pm
shar

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Hi ...this is how my car gets cleaned Mr. Green i get the hubby to do it Rolling with laughter ....we had supagaurd put on before we took delivery and there was alloy wheel cleaner in that actually prevents the brake dust settling on the alloys ,we still get some brake dust but nothing that looks too bad..

Post #9467 3rd Nov 2007 4:06 pm
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

UKdave104 wrote:
On the subject of car cleaning. Can anyone suggest a polish or wax type stuff to put on the alloy wheels to stop the brake dust sticking so much. At the moment I wash the wheels once a week but boy do they take some cleaning.

Easy solution and the application is even easier. Wheel Shield. Available from gbdriver.co.uk under the greased-lightning products.
I remove my wheels every 3 months or so and give them a good clean with muc-off (biodegradable and kind to the wheels) dry them, then spray with Wheel Shield, leave it for 20 mins or so to dry then put back on car. Until the next application, the wheels just need a wipe with a damp cloth. Believe me, this stuff is good and so easy, no buffing or anything. You can be cleaning the next wheel while waiting for it to dry (if you have a spare trolley jack).
All donations for this tip to my May 2008 Isle of Mull Fund... Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #9478 3rd Nov 2007 8:26 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

UKdave104 wrote:
Whilst washing the car today I noticed that the paint on the front plastic trim around the grill is wearing off Shocked

Wouldn't have thought it would have done, I only use a soft sponge and warm water Evil or Very Mad

Just found a front grill on eBay if you have washed more of the paint off it includes the black lower grill aswell

item eBay Item No. 110190043553

Post #9767 9th Nov 2007 10:54 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

anybody know off a good upholstery cleaner, that uses minimum water, as i don't want to wet the seat too much

the cloth on my passenger seat has got a few stains from were they have been sat on in a wet coat a few weeks back, just noticed the wet patches have left marks.

Post #9800 11th Nov 2007 11:33 pm
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

So what about my Karcher?

Do I leave it in the shed? '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #10245 18th Nov 2007 12:51 am
scotster

I just bought some 'Wonder wheels' from Halfords.

It says that it should only be used on lacquered wheels.

I assume the 6 spokers on the GS are?

Ta. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #10954 30th Nov 2007 10:23 am
pwaite

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
Easy Way

I just leave it in the works car park every day and once a week the MD gets his valet-man to do it.
Really easy and you manage to keep warm inside looking at him doing it !!!!

Post #10960 30th Nov 2007 11:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

scotster wrote:
I just bought some 'Wonder wheels' from Halfords.

It says that it should only be used on lacquered wheels.

I assume the 6 spokers on the GS are?

Ta.

I keep away from Wonder Wheels, used it once and i thought it made the wheels turn yellowish.

I use P21s Gel Wheel Cleaner as it has not acid in it, (The chap who charges £5000 for a 3 day car wash uses it)

Brings the Alloys up like new each time Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #10964 30th Nov 2007 11:33 am
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

If you use Wonder Wheels regularly, you will need your wheels refurbished in a couple of years. I speak from experience.
As NPINKS mentioned, it is acid-based and will eat your alloys.
Use the 'P21s' or 'Muc-off' or 'autoglym CUSTOM wheel cleaner' which are kinder to the wheels.
If you coat them with sealer afterwards, you won't need to use any wheel cleaner, just a wipe with a damp cloth. Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #10986 30th Nov 2007 6:21 pm
scotster

OK. Message received.

Wonder wheels going back on Monday.

I've been using Muc off on my mountain bike for years so Ill start there for the wash at least.

Ta! '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #10997 30th Nov 2007 10:34 pm
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

npinks wrote:
anybody know off a good upholstery cleaner, that uses minimum water, as i don't want to wet the seat too much

the cloth on my passenger seat has got a few stains from were they have been sat on in a wet coat a few weeks back, just noticed the wet patches have left marks.

I had a similar problem with the fabric part of my half leather seats. I used Turtle Wax Intererior1 and found it worked well and only used a damp cloth to finally wipe it. The stain has gone. The Turtle Wax phone number is 01695 716610. I phoned them, told them the problem and they told me what to use to remove the stain.
They were very helpful and polite.

waaxh03

Post #11046 1st Dec 2007 8:07 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

waaxh03 wrote:

I had a similar problem with the fabric part of my half leather seats. I used Turtle Wax Intererior1 and found it worked well and only used a damp cloth to finally wipe it. The stain has gone. The Turtle Wax phone number is 01695 716610. I phoned them, told them the problem and they told me what to use to remove the stain.
They were very helpful and polite.

waaxh03

Cheers

I shall phone them check its the right option for the stains and take the advice, and purchase

Never thought about ring anybody apart from a valeter Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #11049 1st Dec 2007 8:20 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Wonder Wheels is Sulphuric acid, it doesn't just eat at your alloys over a period of time it will also start to disolve the rubber in your tyres............................... ok not as quickly as it will eat your alloys but frequent use will weaken the sidewalls of your tyres as well. I would say use it once or twice a YEAR and no more frequently, it is only meant for cleaning severely stained alloys How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #11051 1st Dec 2007 8:23 pm
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

Have you ever noticed that at this time of year cars get only so dirty then stop getting dirtier. This observation led to my car washing philosophy(except for Rr shutlines lamps, lights & mirrors) Cars should only be washed for weddings and funerals(close family only) and when the dealer does it at sevice time still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #11897 18th Dec 2007 10:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>