Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > 20 years ago
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
EYorkshire

20 years ago

Back then it was simple, you bought one grade of engine oil and that was 20-50, now a degree in science is called for and an hour reading the can Confused .

Brake fluid, clutch fluid, it was universal so you just picked up a tin and away you go, now you got to know your DOT1/2/3 and 4's before you choose Confused .

Back then when you lifted the bonnet you could see an engine with a carb on an inlet manifold and on the other side an exhaust manifold, now it's got all these extra bolt on bits and then covered in plastic bearing no resemblance to an engine that I use to know Confused .

Screenwash, yeah that was simple, now it's what colour is right, is it pink, blue, green or any shade in between and if it's a different colour does it matter Confused .

Exhaust blowing, no probs either use some Gum Gum and a bandage or buy a new pipe, now there's a plethora of strange shaped boxes and wires poking out every few feet Confused .

Needed a tow then get your mate to tie up a rope, now with a 4 wheel drive do I raise the back ? or do I raise the front on a dolly ? or can it even be towed without damaging the 4WD system Confused .

Sometimes I wish it was as simple as back then

Post #86704 6th Jan 2011 5:09 pm
athelstan

I share your look-back and miss the simplicity of those days (i speak of late 60's and 70's) and the lack of road traffic. However we must not forget the subject of reliability which was often dreadful until you and your mates had put it all right in your own shed/garage. Rovers and Triumphs and Land Rovers - all sodding blighters on cursed Derbyshire winter nights.

Being more of a motorcyclist than a car driver I've also cursed many hours over my Triumphs and Ducatis - now I only worry about them being nicked and happily ride them for weeks on end covering vast distances in foreign lands problem free - wonderful. In those yesteryears I'd be lucky to get to from home to Oliver's Mount for a days racing without something going wrong.

So today we've generally got reliable transport 2 and 4 wheel, but, we've got roads that are now so overcrowd that the pleasure of motoring is rapidly disappearing.

Post #86716 6th Jan 2011 7:08 pm
EYorkshire

True, reliability and longevity has come forward in leaps and bounds although what I read on the forum could make me out to be a liar Smile .
Like you many a day was spent repairing simply because it really was a job that anyone with basic knowledge could do, and I enjoyed it but now I'll pay rather than crawl under a car. Which leads me to believe that today, the majority have never had it so good financially.
I use to to go occasionally to Scarborough to watch the uphill racing at Olivers Mount, quite a rare event these days.

Post #86732 6th Jan 2011 8:39 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Don't forget the different colours of anti-freeze. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #86775 6th Jan 2011 11:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

and fuel, bring back 4 star Laughing freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #86777 6th Jan 2011 11:08 pm
ad210358

England 

And bring it back at the same price, if only.

Post #86785 6th Jan 2011 11:50 pm
wdw

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

You forgot the starting handle. (OK; that was a bit more than 20 years ago.)

Post #86790 7th Jan 2011 12:14 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

s7gpt wrote:
and fuel, bring back 4 star Laughing

Here here, then we would have no 2T needed and that would mean DiscoG having nothing to go on about Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #86791 7th Jan 2011 12:18 am
LRFTW

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

My other "ride" is a 1965 Commer PA camper, recently "updated" to have Rover V8 lump... I know what I would rather rely on to get me places Crying or Very sad

Post #86796 7th Jan 2011 3:35 am
TrickiDicki

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

wdw wrote:
You forgot the starting handle. (OK; that was a bit more than 20 years ago.)

You never had a 2CV then *ducks*

Post #86799 7th Jan 2011 6:27 am
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

But with all the problems, you've all got to admit... it was more fun back then. Bow down Thumbs Up We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #86987 8th Jan 2011 6:40 am
dunroof

I remeber back 30 years and when petrol went up to 50p a gallon. There was Hell on with the Government.

Back then you could have a good night out on a fiver. A few drinks, pack of cigs, a fish and chip supper, a call girl, a couple of gallons of petrol and change. Tell that to the young people today and they don't believe you!

Rolling Eyes

Post #87027 8th Jan 2011 1:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1