Post #85596 27th Dec 2010 11:06 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Re: All this discussion about bmw's and snow

Wintermute wrote:
Enjoy

&feature=aso

This has been posted before: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic7556.html

Great fun though. I so want a sticker for my back window that says 'Don't follow me, you won't make it'. How fun would it be to find Mr Cool in his 'superior' 3 series stuck in snow and then go past him steadily so he can read the aforementioned sticker Rolling with laughter LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #85607 28th Dec 2010 1:49 am
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Oh didn't see that. Sorry for the repost. 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #85608 28th Dec 2010 1:52 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

First time I saw it - thanks for the repeat Thumbs Up

However I don't think the clip has much to do with the BMW+Snow+Women combination, but would question what they teach at driving schools these days Rolling Eyes 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #85610 28th Dec 2010 8:30 am
mini-eggs

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue

That clip has come up on every forum I'm on, still makes me chuckle Smile

Post #85617 28th Dec 2010 10:30 am
andw

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Wow I didnt think anyone was that stupid until now unbelivable wow!!! Shocked

Post #85623 28th Dec 2010 12:03 pm
AndyC

andw wrote:
Wow I didnt think anyone was that stupid until now unbelivable wow!!! Shocked

Shocked If you think thats stupid you havnt seen this one yet

2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #85635 28th Dec 2010 1:45 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

On a more serious note, I have an FL2 on order to replace my 3 year-old BMW 320d, which sucks in several respects (not just snow) Mad

- Bad in snow (traction control is all or nothing and switching it on or off sometimes helps sometimes makes things worse)

- Very hard ride (when I got it we lived in town, where it didn't matter so much - now, in rural Co Durham, where the roads must be the worst in the country, it's very noticeable)

- The runflat tyres are an abortion and make the steering very poor - tramlining etc

- The screenwasher reservoir is low down behind the front bumper and no-one at BMW had the sense to specify a heater pipe to it at design time; result - frozen screenwash whenever the temperature drops below about -2, and absolutely nothing you can do about it.

- I could go on ... Yawn Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #85647 28th Dec 2010 4:04 pm
mattbridge

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

As we have both of the cars you mention (albeit and Alpina 3 series without runflats) I think you will be a little miffed with the Fl2 after the honeymoon period.
The LR isn't a patch on the BMW for quality, reliability or refinement although it does what it is designed for OK. Sure it will be better on the country roads and general day to day running around but that's it, there is nothing at all special or "quality" about it really.

Re you water bottle issue, seems odd as mine has never frozen in the last 3 3 series I have owned, even in recent -16 days in the Peaks The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012
Me - BMW 330d Saloon - Black - 2011

Post #85650 28th Dec 2010 4:29 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

mattbridge wrote:
As we have both of the cars you mention (albeit and Alpina 3 series without runflats) I think you will be a little miffed with the Fl2 after the honeymoon period.
The LR isn't a patch on the BMW for quality, reliability or refinement although it does what it is designed for OK. Sure it will be better on the country roads and general day to day running around but that's it, there is nothing at all special or "quality" about it really.

How d'you define 'quality'? The Audi I had before the 320d was much better in that department for example. Sure, the BMW has a nice engine/gearbox and good roadholding, but other stuff, well ... lets just say I was disappointed!

mattbridge wrote:
Re you water bottle issue, seems odd as mine has never frozen in the last 3 3 series I have owned, even in recent -16 days in the Peaks

I took it in to the local dealer - he reckoned they'd had quite a lot of people in with the same problem - but as I said nothing could be done about it - and yes, it did have antifreeze screenwash in. Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #85651 28th Dec 2010 4:59 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

In terms of reliability both my experiences of BMW's have been disappointing in that department while my 4 experiences of Land Rover have been good.
My BMW 3 series used to stall at traffic lights on a regular basis and the Dealer never managed to identify the problem. My MINI needed a new power steering motor and 2 new windscreen wiper motors. BMW Customer Service tried hard to make Land Rover Administration look good by their inept performance.

Post #85655 28th Dec 2010 5:23 pm
mattbridge

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

lol thought that would start a debate.

All I can say is I have had 3s since 2000 to current and not one of them has broken down, ever had any work done other than usual service items and servicing (including my M3) was cheaper and much more comprehensive than LR.

I can't complain about the FL2 as it is a good and useful second car for us but that's about it. There's nothing special about it and it can't be "driven" and whilst it is nice knowing you won't get stuck in the snow that's true of nearly any 4x4 with decent tyres.

Quality? Depends which 3 you had but lets take the leather for 1, cabin quality for 2, switching functions for 3 etc etc.

Audi, yep you're right, nice Cabins for sure The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012
Me - BMW 330d Saloon - Black - 2011

Post #85669 28th Dec 2010 7:49 pm
AndyC

mattbridge wrote:
lol thought that would start a debate.

All I can say is I have had 3s since 2000 to current and not one of them has broken down, ever had any work done other than usual service items and servicing (including my M3) was cheaper and much more comprehensive than LR.

I can't complain about the FL2 as it is a good and useful second car for us but that's about it. There's nothing special about it and it can't be "driven" and whilst it is nice knowing you won't get stuck in the snow that's true of nearly any 4x4 with decent tyres.

Quality? Depends which 3 you had but lets take the leather for 1, cabin quality for 2, switching functions for 3 etc etc.

Audi, yep you're right, nice Cabins for sure

You will find all those details on an X3 - so why did you buy a Land Rover at all Confused 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #85672 28th Dec 2010 8:01 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I had an A4 before freely, and the quality difference is enormous, both car and customer service by dealer. About getting through yeah, but the rest is as you guys said, just a car.

The offroader guys often say,

After a day of offroading, a Toyota driver goes to car wash, a LR driver goes to service. Rolling Eyes 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #85673 28th Dec 2010 8:05 pm
asinrute

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Quote:
The LR isn't a patch on the BMW for quality, reliability or refinement although it does what it is designed for OK. Sure it will be better on the country roads and general day to day running around but that's it, there is nothing at all special or "quality" about it really

I can't agree with you on that, I came to LR from a Merc SL 350 (the current shape) and the LR feels special and quality to me. I have used it for long distance (to the French Alps and back) for country roads for towing a caravan for round town work etc. I have no complaints at all about the quality or the feel good factor. FL2 HSE Sumatra black with body kit

Post #85675 28th Dec 2010 8:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>