Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > In the market
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JONATHAN12

In the market

So the last test for us as prospective Freelander buyers was passed yesterday when the missus took a look at an HSE at Harwoods Tonbridge and decided we absolutely must get one. I'm totally hooked too to be honest. The combination of luxury and utility is perfect for out lifestyle. We're now looking, up to 20k. The only definite musts are (full) dark leather and heated seats. The rest we can take or leave. We're leaning towards a manual for the better economy.

Have the horrible feeling that, in the current market, that leaves us restricted to an 07 HSE, of which there are very few about at the moment, and which seems almost a bit too old when you're spending this much. (For all intents and purposes, we're in 2011.) So it's either an older HSE or the right kind of specced XS or SE, if such a car exists?

I did wonder if maybe we could just spec a new 2011 'S' model with leather and heated sets. But seemingly you can't get leather even as an option, and the GS with leather option is over 25k. Seems such a shame.

Part of me thinks we should wait until more comes on the market in the spring. There's absolutely nothing about now.

What would others do?

('Part-leather' is not an option btw: we have a pointer who sheds a hair every millisecond he's in the car and we cannot get them out of cloth fabrics.)

Post #85093 21st Dec 2010 11:23 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

get a professional leather re-trim . contains more real leather than the LR offering and should be cheaper.

these guys are trusted by several forum members http://www.theseatsurgeons.com/metadot/index.pl At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #85094 21st Dec 2010 11:39 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

The problem is demand at the moment, thanks to all this snow Land Rover's have been in demand and the FL2 is such a good all rounder when costs are considered, Discos cost a fortune to run when compared to the FL2.

The FL2 holds its value well too and with the aforementioned demand, things are tricky. One tactic you could try (though it could be more difficult when buying used) is playing dealers off against each other. I bought my GS new in April from Stratstone Nottingham having already had a couple of quotes from other dealers and they got me the best price including the part chop on my FL1.

The manual is an excellent choice. I like the auto but aside from having to actually faff about with changing gear in traffic, I found the manual smoother and more refined - Very easy gearbox to learn where the power comes in best. Mine is the stop/start model which cuts out in neutral but re-starts when the clutch is pressed, thus saving fuel and tax and its cheaper to buy than the auto. Autos are better for towing and off roading though and will hold their value better plus watch out for clutch problems on the manual.

Sorry to give you a 'war and peace' reply but I hope this helps somewhat and always buy from LR dealer if you can. Whats left of the main warranty or their approved warranty gives good peace of mind: http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/lr/approved...d-promise/

Merry Christmas and good hunting Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #85096 21st Dec 2010 11:45 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

The dealers might not like this, but have you tried 'drive the deal' on tinternet?
The GS is a sensible choice. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #85100 22nd Dec 2010 12:55 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Got to agree with CG on this one

The leather fitted to out HSE is only to the seat facings, door trims and seat backs (in fake leather) can be damaged if you are exceptionally rough - as dogs and kids can be!
A professional re-upholstering in leather is a seriously good option - but heated might be a problem.

All the toys are great for a gadget fiend like myself - but it does leave the "problem" of what SWMBO can get you for Christmas Cool , seriously, if you don't need them don't pay extra for them, just make sure it has terrain response.
Buy as new as possible - LR dealers give a very reassuring warranty. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #85102 22nd Dec 2010 4:58 am
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Andy131 wrote:
LR dealers give a very reassuring warranty.

Whereas LR don't.... Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #85111 22nd Dec 2010 8:59 am
JONATHAN12

Thanks everyone for the advice. I love this site – have the feeling it's going to be a very valuable feature of FL ownership! We're getting quite excited now...

So this is quite something. On Drive the Deal i can spec a new 'S' manual with 18 inch alloys, heated seats, audio pack and metallic paint for £21,328.08.

I spoke to Gary at Seat Surgeons and he can do leather for approx £850 + VAT.

So once 20% VAT is factored in, looking at about £22,500-23,000. With a 3 year warranty and these options it seems like a lot of car for the money, especially compared to the current used options.

Only things that niggle are:

How good would the stereo be? The LR site details the following:'AUDIO PACK Audio system with radio, six-disc in-dash CD player and six speakers and remote audio controls (steering wheel mounted)' Does anyone know if we would be able to plug in our iphones/ipods though?

Would really like a nice chunky leather-bound steering wheel as in the HSE's I've looked at. Not sure what the standard one is like in the 'S' is like but fear it might be one of those cold, thin plastic-bound ones?

Trying to ascertain if the 'S' has terrain response, if not that's a deal-breaker.

Also not 100% sure if the 'S' has start-stop.

The grille on the 'S' is dark grey? What's that all about?

What do others think of this? Are there any other 'must have' features that I'm omitting?

Post #85129 22nd Dec 2010 12:42 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

We've got a MY10 S and are very pleased. Guess the speakers would be the same as ours, not fantastic but good enough. MY11 S does have Terrain Response. All the other stuff you don't really need in my opinion, also less electronics to go wrong. Cold Climate Pack would be handy though and no front fogs as standard on the S, need the Clear View Pack for that. Steering wheel is quite nice even though it is plastic. Manual S does have Stop / Start. Can plug Iphone etc in through the jack plug but if you want full functionality through the steering wheel controls then I think you need the (very) expensive Land Rover auxilliary cable thing at about £250 me thinks.

Post #85137 22nd Dec 2010 1:53 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

JONATHAN12 wrote:

Only things that niggle are:

How good would the stereo be? The LR site details the following:'AUDIO PACK Audio system with radio, six-disc in-dash CD player and six speakers and remote audio controls (steering wheel mounted)' Does anyone know if we would be able to plug in our iphones/ipods though?
- The LR iPhone / iPod kit is not much use. You have 6 playlists. 5 are made up and the 6th is every song on the playlist. No data on the radio. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #85146 22nd Dec 2010 3:28 pm
Marky

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Tryng to ascertain if the 'S' has terrain response, if not that's a deal-breaker.

I think that the terrain response isn't standard on the 'S' model neither are heated seats, spare wheel, jack, wheel brace

[/b] 2010 FL2 XS Auto in Santorini Black with HSE alloys

Post #85147 22nd Dec 2010 3:41 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Terrain Response is now a standard fit on MY11 TD4 S models.

Have a look at www.landrover.co.uk and click on Price Lists in left hand column then Freelander 2 2011 price lists

Make sure any vehicle from a Broker is MY11

Post #85153 22nd Dec 2010 4:09 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

why not just speak to James or one of his sales team at Lookers Park Royal, there site sponsors and often can put a good deal together, just mention the forum when you call

Details can be found here Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #85160 22nd Dec 2010 4:50 pm
JONATHAN12

Thanks for the advice and opinions.

Getting a bit disheartened now. The more we research the 'S' the less we think it will work for us. Aged 31, I've never bought a new car before and assumed you could spec up any model so long as you were willing to pay. Obviously not so. The options list for the GS is so much longer than for the 'S'. With the latter there are some really basic things,- like upgrading the stereo or specifying front armrests which you just can't do. We don't need many extras at all, just happens the ones we do need aren't options!

Perhaps most annoyingly there are no 2011 'S's at either of my local dealers. Not surprisingly, though, there are plenty of 2011 GS's or XS's! One sales guy said he probably won't even see an 'S' unless someone specifically orders one. His lack of enthusiasm made me wonder if he was actually talking about a Skoda Estelle circa 1987. (No disrespect intended to any 'S' owners).

Sorry about the negative post. Probably going to wait until the snow melts, stock levels rise and the 4X4 frenzy dies down. Hopefully in the Spring there will be more attractive deals to be had.

I'm diabetic. Should probably have some dinner - everything always looks much rosier after some food!

Post #85203 22nd Dec 2010 8:06 pm
Lookers Park Royal

Jonathan, Please give one of the team a call if you need any assistance. We have a 60 plate GS which will be available early Jan (10my) for around £23,500, in black.

The S is there to bring Freelander in at a 'price point' therefore most customers will be attracted to the brand by the S, however will upgrade to GS or XS. As a rule, dealers will rarely order S spec unless they have a confirmed order.

Hope this helps, hope your dinner did the trick, and hope we can assist if needs-be!

James Thumbs Up

Post #85236 23rd Dec 2010 9:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
trevd01

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

If you were to buy an S and want to upgrade to 18" wheels, you would have a queue of people wanting to buy the 16" wheels from you, to fit winter tyres on.

I would be in that queue... Trevor

'60 reg SD4 XS (long gone!)

Post #85244 23rd Dec 2010 10:48 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>