Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Winter Driving Experiance - No Problem Cold Starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Winter Driving Experiance - No Problem Cold Starting

Minus 10C to day, but being by the coast feels colder. Used the normal LR recommended start procedure and Freely fired up after ca. 5-6 seconds. Should also mention Freely is just over 3 years old and never had a battery recharge and never had 2T oil in the diesel. Thumbs Up
The doors were not frozen either and the electric windows worked up and down and as I reversed out into the road the door mirrors dipped as they should and the reverse warning beepers cancelled when first gear was selected - so far so good. Did several "father Christmas" runs delivering presents here and there with temperatures sinking to -18C at the most, but after each stop, Freely started at the touch of the button. The windscreen was pretty dirty as was the rear screen but both front and the rear washers worked at the touch of the button and the wipers did not skip any glass area and the washer fluid did not freeze on the windscreen, even in the freezing temperatures we were driving in. Although the roads were clear of snow, the asphalt surface was coated in rutted ice and there was also a fluttering og snow flakes falling which made the surface fairly slippery, particular on hilly corners. However the half worn Michelin non-studded winter tyres performed perfectly as they always do and no special TR program was selected. In fact today was just another no problem winter day driving for a very happy FL2 owner Thumbs Up

Thought after all the recent negative threads and postings concerning problems experienced by UK FL2 owners, it was about time to relate the problem free winter driving most owners have living in a winter climate considerably worse (at times) than the UK. Would also add here that although some FL2 problems UK owners have complained about must be a fault with the vehicle, many it would seem, could be self inflicted. Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #85045 21st Dec 2010 5:40 pm
cate

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
Re: Winter Driving Experiance - No Problem Cold Starting

AndyC wrote:

Would also add here that although some FL2 problems UK owners have complained about must be a fault with the vehicle, many it would seem, could be self inflicted. Whistle

Which problems would they be then? The self inflicted one's that is??

Post #85050 21st Dec 2010 6:50 pm
sammythedog

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey

Not sure what all the fuss is about Wink , -15 on Sunday morning here in mid Wales and my '07 FL2 started no problem (still on original battery as well!) using the "pre ignition button press to bring the glow plugs on before the foot on clutch then start button" method - works every time Very Happy.
Then went for a run round the back lanes where we have over 12" of snow, no problem running on Khumo KL78's.
But i will admit to frozen up washers! Whistle

Post #85051 21st Dec 2010 7:11 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Good write up Andy Thumbs Up

Is your car sheltered on a night? Just thinking on why your windows haven't frozen shut? Mine only have when it rained and the temp plummeted, all other times been free to go up and down Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #85053 21st Dec 2010 8:05 pm
EYorkshire

+1 for a good write up.
Unlike you I have had mine for only 4 weeks, 3 of those in the present arctic type weather. Like you it is behaving spot on, starting and running as it should by the book Thumbs Up

My problem with the freezing windows I put down to living close to the Humber Estuary and 3 metres above sea level, this is giving us freezing fog with a thick frozen layer covering the whole car but yeah, let this be a positive thread.

I've now't to complain about yet and if it can survive these conditions it's gonna be a ball in the summer. Very Happy

Post #85057 21st Dec 2010 8:37 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Good write up AndyC Thumbs Up

We've had it down to minus 14 DegC in Aberdeen and have had no problems with starting Mrs Dave's FL2, nor the D3 and we only do short trips to work <5 miles so we're not suffering with battery problems like other people are on here.

Wonder if it's a duff set of batteries that LR have got. I remember quite a few years ago where Ford had a duff batch of starter motors, chap I used to work with was having his replaced about every 4 months under warranty. Excuse from Ford was that they had paid for the starters to be manufactured so had to use the faulty batch first before another batch of replacements were manufactured. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #85059 21st Dec 2010 8:50 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

+1 Thumbs Up

This is my first proper winter in the Freel2 and I'm still grinning from ear to ear with it?

Starts first time every time with no pre start Censored
Windows all work (except one needed resetting yesterday, but is now fine)
Had a close encounter with a bottle of coke - fortunately I think I got to it before it went boom Exclamation
Love the heated front windscreen
Parking sensors surprisingly work perfectly despite the snow and the ice Thumbs Up

Oh and as for getting into a car that heats up almost instantly (especially with bum heaters) is brilliant in the snow and is dead comfy - I love it Very Happy Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #85068 21st Dec 2010 9:24 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Funnily enough now it's really cold again I haven't seen the brief errors that sometimes flash up when starting, which I find slightly strange but I'm not complaining!

Cracking car for some cracking weather Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #85083 21st Dec 2010 10:47 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
Good write up Andy Thumbs Up

Is your car sheltered on a night? Just thinking on why your windows haven't frozen shut? Mine only have when it rained and the temp plummeted, all other times been free to go up and down

Nick: At home, yes sheltered in a non insulated garage which does protect from moisture but not temperature. When at the cabin 1050 meters above sea level, no, but often have dig Freely out of the (dry) snow after being parked for several days in often very many minus temperatures. In these cases we just have had to turn on the auto defrost to defreeze the front and rear screens and wipers. Starting has not been a problem, or has any other freezing problem.

cate: "Self inflicted ones" may refer to using warm water to open frozen items, for example (know that from experience) or not preparing for winter "before" the cold weather sets in. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #85090 21st Dec 2010 11:02 pm
Kershaw 39

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Orkney Grey

Great winter review. I'm having no problems starting either (until I write this), how are you keeping the washer jets working? I'm on neat screen wash and frozen every day. Car is on my drive (garage full of family crap) and temp been down as low as -10 in queensbury. I'm driving better now I know to knock off the DSC on very icey hills.

Post #85098 21st Dec 2010 11:49 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Kershaw 39 wrote:
Great winter review. I'm having no problems starting either (until I write this), how are you keeping the washer jets working? I'm on neat screen wash and frozen every day......

Used to work for a well known automotive products manufacturer who made screen wash for supermarkets, budget brands, and "premium" own brands, some of the concentrated screen wash was actually weaker than the pre-mixed brands. You do actually get what you pay for.

Also screen wash does contain a fair proportion of alcohol, this is lost with age. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #85103 22nd Dec 2010 5:12 am
athelstan

The only difference between AndyC and her Ladyships's FL2 is that it (Felix) sits outside all the time here in Switzerland and is not used on a daily basis. As Andy reports - no winter blues. Felix's winter prep is as follows:
1: Conti Winter Tyres - not studded (including the spare)
2: LR FL2 Ski Rack installed.
3: LR FL2 Washable Seat Covers (saves leather seats from wet ski clothes)
4: Coop -25°C Winter Screen Wash - undiluted (6ltrs emergency supply carried in spare wheel bay)
5: Nilgrin winter rubber seal non stick ice protecter applied to all door, tailgate, bonnet & ski carrier seals.
6: LR FL2 Rubber Foot-well Mats installed (leather trimmed colour coded carpets removed)
7: LR FL2 Load Space Protector installed (primarily to catch melting snow off family's ski boots - snow shoes etc.)
8: Alpine winter survival kit installed (thermal blankets / hot drinks / high energy food / emergency lighting sticks / transponder / candles / matches / power supply leads for mobile & radio coms) [note: full medical kit always carried as she's a Doctor including green emergency service's light]

So, like Andy we're looking forward to FL2 another trouble free winter.
Climate update for all you ski fans - local snow conditions are very good indeed ( Austrian Tyrol even better)

Post #85114 22nd Dec 2010 9:21 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1