Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Frozen electric windows
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
EYorkshire

Frozen electric windows

Not a freel2 fault but in the minus temperatures the windows are refusing to move, they try but give up. So does anyone know if the anti-ice sprays have any detrimental effect on the paintwork if I used it to free off the rubber against window seal.

Post #84543 17th Dec 2010 12:27 pm
Lookers Park Royal

Best way is to get the interior as warm as possible which should then transmit through the glass and free the window from the seal.

I wouldn't try it too often if it is frozen as it will put some strain on the motor and window regulator before it's enough for a fuse to blow.

James Thumbs Up

Post #84556 17th Dec 2010 1:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Why would you want to open your windows in this weather? It's bloody freezing outside. Shocked We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #84561 17th Dec 2010 3:40 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

W.D.C.A.P.H. wrote:
Why would you want to open your windows in this weather? It's bloody freezing outside. Shocked

Its a Land Rover thing - I always drive my Defender with the window slightly open. At first its to clear the windows of condensation and when the Engine warms up, it is to let in cold air because you`re wearing so many layers of clothes (knowing you were going in a Defender!) that you get too hot!
Air Con -Pahhh!!! Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #84563 17th Dec 2010 3:57 pm
EYorkshire

@ W.D.C.A.P.H
It's a throwback thing to my younger days, you know, like the wind in your hair ....... cept most of it's fallen out now Sad

Post #84564 17th Dec 2010 4:13 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

There must be a reason that the windows have frozen up. Mine have never frozen up in the three very cold winters I have had Freely. Maybe you have had them open and they became wet when you closed them Question Then the problem could be explained Confused 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #84565 17th Dec 2010 4:33 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Mine have done this, I spray de icer and then wait till it's warmed up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #84569 17th Dec 2010 4:59 pm
Blue

United Kingdom 

Whenever I leave the house in the morning I'm carrying a 2l bottle of lukewarm water, chuck it over the windscreen and, if needed, the side window. This de-ices instantly and also helps prevent misting up.

Also saves me buying de-icer which can mark paintwork and encourages re-freezing (it actually makes the surface colder as part of the thawing process, hence you get quick re-freeze) Blue

Post #84582 17th Dec 2010 7:34 pm
EYorkshire

We had rain before the big drop in temperature last night and droplets were frozen on the glass, so I'll wait till summer before trying again Thumbs Up
I didn't fancy the de-icer going on the paintwork as some makes has anti-freeze in it.

Post #84600 17th Dec 2010 9:36 pm
AndyC

Blue wrote:
Whenever I leave the house in the morning I'm carrying a 2l bottle of lukewarm water, chuck it over the windscreen and, if needed, the side window. This de-ices instantly and also helps prevent misting up.

Also saves me buying de-icer which can mark paintwork and encourages re-freezing (it actually makes the surface colder as part of the thawing process, hence you get quick re-freeze)

Shocked Thats the worst thing you can do in freezing weather. If you want something to freeze up then just keep doing that Exclamation 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #84605 17th Dec 2010 10:22 pm
Bottom

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

When I had my M3 I had big problems with the doors freezing shut, due to the frameless windows and the large expanse of rubber seal I reckon.
Anyway, the BMW guys recommend a product called "Gummi Pflege" which I got hold of for a couple of quid and that prevented the problem recurring.

http://www.einszett.co.uk/Gummi-Pflege.php

I'd try a coat of that, I've been using it for about 4 yrs now with no adverse effects.

Post #84630 18th Dec 2010 10:53 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Warming the car up first is always the best thing to do in this weather which will prevent other problems acurring if you were to just drive off from starting

Post #84660 18th Dec 2010 4:02 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Whisky makes an excellent de-icer. Me and a mate once used half a bottle de-icing our friends car when he was giving us a lift home from a xmas ball in Harrogate. Unfortunately the police pulled him over and remarked that the car stank of booze then breath tested him. he passed of course,
The police advised him to drop the two drunken idiots in the back off as soon as possible Laughing and avoid using whisky as de-icer in future.
We had won the bottle in a raffle and neither of us drink the stuff.

Strangely I can remember very little of the above events but my mate likes to remind us about it regularly. I find that wearing DJ often induces a strange memory loss Confused

If you have no whiskey available then placing a can of two stroke oil within 50m of the car will have amazingly beneficial effects.
In-fact If I had used 2 stroke as aftershave that night I wouldn't have been getting a lift home at all, more like choosing which glamorous lady to accompany home Laughing Why oh why did I not know of the power of 2stroke oil before Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #84663 18th Dec 2010 4:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Laughing 2t aftershave the lady loves it Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #84671 18th Dec 2010 5:54 pm
AndyC

Bottom wrote:
When I had my M3 I had big problems with the doors freezing shut, due to the frameless windows and the large expanse of rubber seal I reckon.
Anyway, the BMW guys recommend a product called "Gummi Pflege" which I got hold of for a couple of quid and that prevented the problem recurring.

http://www.einszett.co.uk/Gummi-Pflege.php

I'd try a coat of that, I've been using it for about 4 yrs now with no adverse effects.

Thumbs Up Been using a similar product/s for over 30 years here in Norway Thumbs Up Coating all the rubber door, boot, bonnet rubber seals with this silicon based product is an essential thing to do BEFORE winter and cold weather sets in here.

The use of this type of product has been covered in more detail earlier this year and "npinks" has also tried a similar product also available in the UK (not aftershave or whisky). 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #84681 18th Dec 2010 7:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>