Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Why wouldn't I get one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JONATHAN12

Why wouldn't I get one?

Hi everyone

I currently have an '06 Volvo V50 and do 12,000 miles a year on average. My driving is mainly short (<5 mile) trips on poorly maintained country roads to the station, the local town, etc. And aside from that, motorways. We don't go offroad as such, but twice a week drive on an estate which has numerous huge sleeping policemen and some very awkward cambers, both of which damage the undercarriage of my Volvo. Plus, we get snowed in every year now!

I have been researching the Freelander 2 and think it might be the ideal for our needs. Am considering looking for an 07-08 TD4 HSE with 40-60k miles.

My main concerns are:

1. Does the cabin or dash rattle in Freelanders this age? My Volvo rattles a lot and it drives me mad.

2. Am I likely to encounter electrical and/or mechanical problems that will make ownership a pain?

3. Given that I don't need to go offroad as such, would i be stupid not to consider a Ford Kuga or Rav 4? Both can be picked up more cheaply, and both give me more confidence from a reliability standpoint.

4. How much do Freelanders pitch and dive under breaking and accelerating?

5. Is the steering precise and engaging, as far as 4x4's go? Some reviews say the steering is great, some say it's just 'weird'!

Would love to hear the opinions of freelander owners.

Best wishes

Jonathan

Post #84391 16th Dec 2010 1:03 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 
Re: Why wouldn't I get one?

JONATHAN12 wrote:
Hi everyone

I have been researching the Freelander 2 and think it might be the ideal for our needs. Am considering looking for an 07-08 TD4 HSE with 40-60k miles.
Ours is a 08 TD4 HSE auto with 40k miles

My main concerns are:

1. Does the cabin or dash rattle in Freelanders this age? My Volvo rattles a lot and it drives me mad.
The only rattling is the speakers/kidneys when Sabbath are at full volume - most journeys.

2. Am I likely to encounter electrical and/or mechanical problems that will make ownership a pain?
Yes and no. if you do get any niggles the amount of pain depends on the capability of your chosen dealer - Guy Salmon Stockport have been spot on for me.

3. Given that I don't need to go offroad as such, would i be stupid not to consider a Ford Kuga or Rav 4? Both can be picked up more cheaply, and both give me more confidence from a reliability standpoint.
You would be foolish not to consider these as options, but test drive all three, not the most unbiased judge as I do take mine off-road as often as possible.

4. How much do Freelanders pitch and dive under breaking and accelerating?
Less than most, especially considering how capable it is off-road. As above take a test drive, it's a lot of money not to research your purchase properly

5. Is the steering precise and engaging, as far as 4x4's go? Some reviews say the steering is great, some say it's just 'weird'!
Steering is precise, just very light, this lightness takes a little getting used to. unless of course your power steer pump fails!. The scrubbing on the outside edges of my front tyres suggest that spirited driving is possible/likely
Would love to hear the opinions of freelander owners.

Best wishes

Jonathan
 Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #84393 16th Dec 2010 1:34 am
JONATHAN12

Hi Andy

Thanks for those positive points. Don't mind light steering as long as there's not too much play in it? I also like the Subaru Outback diesel, but drove a nearly new one last year and at 40mph you could turn the wheel approx 60 degrees either side without the car beginning to turn. I can't bear that disconnected feeling.

Totally agree about the merits of test-driving before buying. Only reason i haven't yet is because I've had to apply for a new driving licence and am waiting for the DVLA to give me the green light so I can drive again. Frustratingly, everything I know about Freelanders comes from Parkers, Top Gear, Honest John, Which, You Tube and so on!

I say I don't go really offroad... possibly that's because I can't! Who knows what we'd get up to if we had a car capable enough.

Best

Jonathan

Post #84414 16th Dec 2010 11:16 am
mattbridge

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

thing is you will want to go offroad when you have one even if its just picking the field to park in at country shows etc.

We test drove the ford before we got ours along with the xc60, ford looks good but i couldn't live with the cheap interior and very limited leg room. XC60 is very nice, especially inside, and is on the same platform as the FL2. It handles a bit better but just didn't inspire the same confidence as the FL2 on the test drive IMO.

Ok we have only done 16k in our HSE but have not had one issue with it and her in doors (it's her car) loves it, especially the "command" driving position

Hope that helps a bit The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012
Me - BMW 330d Saloon - Black - 2011

Post #84415 16th Dec 2010 11:33 am
JONATHAN12

It does help a lot, thanks...

The more I think about it, the more I reckon I'll head for the first boggy field i can find if we can get one. There is this video on You Tube of a Freelander driving through a lake which is just mind blowing. i still cannot believe what i'm seeing...

I really like the XC60 too, perhaps it is a better car in some ways, but having lived with a Volvo for 3 years it would be nice to try something else.

Am imagining a nicely specced 2007-8 Freelander would be perfect as a first and only car for 3 say years, and then would make an ideal second 'bash-about' car for a good 5 or so years after that.

Do either of you get much play in your steering, just out of interest?

Post #84426 16th Dec 2010 1:13 pm
mattbridge

No no play for me, just changed tyres to fit winters and had the tracking / toe checked and its still spot on at 16k so must be pretty sturdy (knowing how she drives it !)

The way I looked at it (when trawling the forums prior to buying) is that people tend to post when things go wrong, if you look at the Volvo, BMW etc forums they are all the same, filled with common failures, niggles etc. Sure there are obviously some LR faults but that is the position for all marques. I wouldn't read too much into what you read and get a used warantee to cover anything major, just in case (I would do that with any second hand car)

M The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012

Post #84428 16th Dec 2010 1:23 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Hi Johnathan

Where do you get the idea that there is steering play? certainly none on ours.

Pound to a pinch of salt you will take her off-road.
My advice, go to your local LR dealer, look interested, and say you are concerned that the FL wouldn't be up to the job of the lane up to your "parents/sons" house. With any luck you should get a voucher for a half day Land Rover Experience, these are not overtly a selling operation, they do give you a very good insite to the capability of the FL2 both on and off road.

Dare you not to buy the first one you see after he experience. Very Happy

Andy Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #84433 16th Dec 2010 1:51 pm
mini-eggs

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue

Andy131 wrote:

Dare you not to buy the first one you see after he experience. Very Happy

That's how I ended up parting with my astra VXR which I adored, for a FL2, I wouldn't go back either, FL2 is superb.

Post #84436 16th Dec 2010 2:09 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Not sure where your based, but try speaking to James or one of his sales staff at Lookers Park Royal

I also haven't heard of any play in the steering, not even sure if the FL1 had that either, but a lot of people have been tarnishing the FL2 due to the FL1's history, even though they are completely different cars and can't really be compared to one another Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #84437 16th Dec 2010 2:11 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

I fully endorse the half day Experience if you can get one from a Dealer or direct from Land Rover (0800 110 110). Just tell them you're interested in buying a Freelander 2, ask for a brochure and ask if there is any chance of a Land Rover Experience voucher. You may not get one but you might get lucky and at least should get a Dealer offering you a test drive.
Beware however the Land Rover Experience Freelanders are all top of the range SD4 HSE.

Post #84439 16th Dec 2010 2:13 pm
JONATHAN12

Thanks for all the comments. Agree re used car warranty and the fact that these forums often tend to highlight the negatives.

We're based in Fletchers Green outside Sevenoaks, Kent. My locals are Harwoods Edenbridge and Harwoods Tonbridge. Also have Gigglepin 4x4 just around the corner. They deal with all Land Rovers and will probably be a bit cheaper than main dealers. London is also very accesible.

I love the idea of trying to get the half day course vouchers from a local dealer to allay my concerns about my terribly bad drive way! Will see what I can do.

Re play in the steering, it's just that it's my worst car bugbear so am keen that Freelanders don't suffer from it. Would probably get a Subaru Outback if it wasn't so bad awful in them.

Am getting really keen on one... just saw as HSE parked locally, looked great in Silver. We're hopefully going to drive a few next week if my licence comes through.

Guess the main question if i like them is should i spend more to go the approved used route?

Opinions appreciated.

Post #84455 16th Dec 2010 4:35 pm
mattbridge

Guess the main question if i like them is should i spend more to go the approved used route?

I would unless you know the history of the car or get it checked by an indi The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012

Post #84461 16th Dec 2010 5:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1