« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Prospective buyer reliability Q's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
spottyelephant

Prospective buyer reliability Q's

Hi all,

So within the next 6 months I'm gonna be changing my car and I've currently been thinking about the FL2.

My main question / worry at the moment is surrounding reliability..

I've read a lot of forums, including this one, about FL2 problems - things like steering pumps etc. I'm aware that the FL2 is heads and tails above the FL1, but can anyone give me an insight into 3 - 4 year old ones?

Specifically I think i'd be lucky to find an 07 one (which i what i'd be looking at for price and road tax reasons here in Ireland) that's under 50 or 60,000 miles. Is that problem time for them? Also, what sort of costs have people been faced with for any problems they've had?

I've done a lot of research regarding every facet of the Freelander 2, and it is really pulling me and I know I might get a bit of a biased opinion in here, but i figured such a high density of FL2 owners versus other SUV forums would be the best bet!

Any info or insights would be great! Other perspectives or related owning info would be great too, Thanks!

Post #82989 4th Dec 2010 6:25 pm
APCo

United Kingdom 

I had similar worries as you 3 years ago before buying a new XS, I decided that the manufacturers warranty covered me but was still concerned I would get a rough time. I had owned a variety of Defenders over the years which were great for work, great at what they did but "ahem" a little fragile shall we say. I also had acquaintances that had been badly bitten by Discos and RR's and especially FL1's.

I can say that the the FL2 ran faultlessly from day one for the next 38000 miles, never let me down and drove as well at 3 years old as it did new - something I have only experienced in Audi's before, especially from a fit and finish of the interior point of view. I put it down to the blue oval influence.......

Actually I lied it did refuse to get test match special during the last ashes series!!

But all good things had to come to an end and so the FL2 went back and we looked at a variety of replacements, D4 (too expensive and a bit blinged up) Q5 smaller than it looks on the inside, less ueseable backseat and boot also a bit city boy ish, XC60, ditto on boot and backseat. Both giving less for more in my opinion

So we have a new XS SD4 and I harbour no worries, it is the old XS just more so, more toys, more power, more MPG, more refined, but less CO2's. I even like the new boot handle which seems more "finished" than the old one, the old one did look a bit of an after thought..... I now expect vehement objection from others so best say I actually like the chrome too, especially on the lago grey, there you go, do your best guys.....

I was also happy to see a fair smattering of the fmco logo.

I would heartily recommend the FL2 even at 3 years old, look for the usual things - as low a milage as you can get, FSH, one owner and a main dealer warranty preferable, Hartwells dealer or LR seemed good warranties when I considered keeping the old one.

good luck and enjoy.

Post #83013 4th Dec 2010 8:04 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Just remember there is more of a likelihood of people writing about problems they have experienced than those who love the car. I mean today I went out in my FL2 in the snow and no problems - but I didnt put it on the forum, now if I had skidded everywhere I definately would have.

Go for the FL2 - you wont regret it, I have had mine almost 3 years and have put an order in for another so the FL2 must be doing something right! Thumbs Up Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #83039 4th Dec 2010 10:32 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

Bought my 07 GS with 23,000 miles on the clock, it has been trouble free for 40,000 additional miles apart from minor tyre noise problems. My recent woes with my tyres turned out to be a knackered diff' this time, (sounded much like tyre rumble).

It is out of warranty by about 6 months and depending on which diff is fitted, (there are two types aparantly)? i'm looking at between £1100-£1500 to supply and fit. These diff's are very scarce and it apppears LR are holding onto any they have within their network to satisfy warranty claims, one dealer has told me to order one and i'll have to wait as they are showing nil stock w/o any due dates!!! If like me you are out of warranty............tough Censored ! I need my car for my job so it's not good.

60,000 miles is nothing on a modern car so i'm not best pleased which is a shame as it's been a wonderful car apart from that. Reading between the lines I think this diff' issue is far more prevalent than most realise.

FYI i'm not a big off roader, most of my miles are motorway driving at sensible speeds.

Post #83042 4th Dec 2010 10:44 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Dunk wrote:
Bought my 07 GS with 23,000 miles on the clock, it has been trouble free for 40,000 additional miles apart from minor tyre noise problems. My recent woes with my tyres turned out to be a knackered diff' this time, (sounded much like tyre rumble).

It is out of warranty by about 6 months and depending on which diff is fitted, (there are two types aparantly)? i'm looking at between £1100-£1500 to supply and fit. These diff's are very scarce and it apppears LR are holding onto any they have within their network to satisfy warranty claims, one dealer has told me to order one and i'll have to wait as they are showing nil stock w/o any due dates!!! If like me you are out of warranty............tough Censored ! I need my car for my job so it's not good.

60,000 miles is nothing on a modern car so i'm not best pleased which is a shame as it's been a wonderful car apart from that. Reading between the lines I think this diff' issue is far more prevalent than most realise.

FYI i'm not a big off roader, most of my miles are motorway driving at sensible speeds.

On that information I would have thought LR had a duty to at least meet part of this failure. Worth a phone call. I've had cars out of warranty before, written to the company and then had the repairs done foc.

I would think it unreasonable to have this kind of failure at just over 3 years...I think the EU law would be on your side

Post #83109 5th Dec 2010 4:44 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

richardk wrote:
Dunk wrote:

On that information I would have thought LR had a duty to at least meet part of this failure. Worth a phone call. I've had cars out of warranty before, written to the company and then had the repairs done foc.

I would think it unreasonable to have this kind of failure at just over 3 years...I think the EU law would be on your side

Thanks Rich' I will draft a letter out and have a go, your not the first to suggest it may be worth a pop...i've nothing whatsoever to lose Thumbs Up As stated it's a real shame as the car has been one of my favourites, I still look forward to driving it after 40,000 miles of ownnership and for what I need in a car it's spot on. Best get typing and i'll advise of any responses I recieve, good or bad.

Post #83120 5th Dec 2010 7:01 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Depending on how good your relationship is with your local dealer it might be worth getting their service advisor to speak to LR about a goodwill contribution. I had an issue with my 07 SE and th service advisor spoke to LR who initially offered a 33% contribution and then agreed to pay 100%. But LR may have been swayed by me having another FL2 on order at the time.

Overall my 07 SE Manual was trouble free over 36000 miles apart from a whine which was put down to a problem in the power steering which affected early models and was replaced.

I'm now on my second FL2 this time a MY11 XS Manual and so far after 5 days and 200 miles I'm really pleased with it and it's 39.2 mpg average which I expect will improve as the engine is run in.

Post #83132 5th Dec 2010 8:52 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have had mine for nearly 3 1/2 years now, it is a December 2006 56 plate, so 8 months old when we bought it with 10400 on the clock.

It is now on 42000 miles. It has been 100% reliable and never let us down. Repair wise, it has had the following :-

New clutch at 23000 miles. There was a batch problem with clutches fitted to early cars, I would imagine those cars effected would have been sorted out by now. (Warranty)
New door mirror as it was sticking. (Warranty)
New Parking sensors due to moisture getting it. (Warranty)
New Keys (Both failed within 6 weeks of the warranty running out, LR covered 80% of the cost)
Boot latch £17 inc VAT (Failed after warranty expired)
Seat Belts replaced due to rubbing.

Most of the things mine suffered with were a result of it being an early car. But all in all I have been perfectly happy with it. After 32000 miles, my front tyres will need changing within the next month or so.

It passed it's MOT, but front tyres are on the advisory list. I didnt bother extending the warranty after in expired last December. Glad really as the warranty would have cost me £600 and it's cost me less than £100 in repairs! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #83183 6th Dec 2010 1:15 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Bought our 08 auto 12 months old with 900 miles on the clock, now done 41,000 miles.
Faults so far:
Noise fron aircon - dealer replaced aircon clutch at first service.
Rear diff oil seal weaping - changed at 30,000 miles.
Seat belt rubbing on "B" pillars - modified at 30,000miles.

Still on original tyres - just.
Battery has gone flat twice - if you are on a call, finish call then turn engine off!
Windscreen replaced due to stone chip.

Ok so the tank was modified off-road and the door trim got forcably removed in a similar fashion, not really a fault, more excessive fun.

So reliable I hope to be keeping her for a few years and will not be extending the warranty - couldn't say that about the FL1's.

All in all a very pleasant car to own and drive.

Avoid the manuals if you tow a heavy trailer or venture off-road on a regular basis, avoid the auto if you are precious about fuel economy. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #83188 6th Dec 2010 2:00 pm
EYorkshire

Andy131 wrote:

Avoid the manuals if you tow a heavy trailer or venture off-road on a regular basis, avoid the auto if you are precious about fuel economy.

Regarding the manuals and towing Andy, is that an answer to the OP's 3-4 years old that he's looking for or are clutches still a 'problem' with the later ones?
I personally can't see that Land Rover would still be knocking out vehicles that are crap at towing.

Post #83190 6th Dec 2010 2:08 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

To be honest I am very biased.
I had a dreadful time with clutches and transmissions on my first FL1, since then I have stuck to the autos, the transmissions on which have been fault free.
But reading threads such as http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic7374.html leaves me with a smug grin, except when filling up Shocked ------- av 30mpg, 28mpg on long distances ? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #83193 6th Dec 2010 2:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

How good is the Freelander 2 on Tax in Ireland?

I was reading on RRSport that a new RRS was something like €2400 Shocked to tax, and he compared it to the Q5 at €600 Neutral Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #83195 6th Dec 2010 2:26 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've got rid of mine due to a vibration issue that the LR are not prepared to acknowledge. So I'm going to lay in right? Wrong.

The Freelander is a great car to drive. Very comfortable. Nice engine. Loved it. It will go anywhere, basically and it will get you there safely.

Issues....

A few and this would be my biggest gripe, on a car that is the value it is, they shouldn't be there.

1) Gearbox Vibration
2) Forward Power socket didn't work, repaired, stopped working.
3) Parking sensors operate continuously when they are wet.
4) The stereo is as it is, nothing can be added, nothing taken away, iPod connectivity, forget it. you have no choice to rip it our and start again. You loose steering wheel controls.
5) The sat nav works. The maps are atrocious. They are VERY out of date (yes the 2009/2010 versions). Tomtom is better.

So be prepared for some niggles, put stuff in writing to the dealer when you ask for them to fix it.

There are a lot of very happy owners out there. They are very good cars, but it is likely that you will have a few issues with the car, ask if your £ 20,000.00 is worth the hassle. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #83196 6th Dec 2010 2:28 pm
spottyelephant

Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

Regarding fuel economy - I'll be coming from an RX 8, so anything will be a marked improvement really!

The reliability thing is a big point though - after spending the last few years taking meticulous care of the RX to avoid the many, many pitfalls of the rotary, I would hate to get rid of the car and jump into something that's supposed to be bomb-proof and then have to fork out on a new tranny at 60,000 miles having only put 30 of my own on it!

I would prefer an auto for towing (and off-roading too which will be a feature of my ownership), but there's almost zero autos here in Ireland. And i'd be hesitant about buying in the UK cuz dealer warranties would be useless to me when i brake down 400 miles away in a different country!

As far a city driving goes, how do people find that? Do you often find parallel / right angles spaces that are just that bit too squishy for you?

edit: @npinks, a pre-2007 freelander would be ~€860 to tax. It's about €1k for an 08+ one I think

Last edited by spottyelephant on 6th Dec 2010 2:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #83197 6th Dec 2010 2:34 pm
EYorkshire

The gearbox vibration, that a manual also, yes?
That would be a serious niggle to me also, the others I could handle but I can't get my head around these clutch issues people are having. Is it their driving method or is there a fault, if there was a fault why are we having as many posting to say it's never happened to them. Confused therefore it can't be a fault, it must be driving issues.

Or is it that people only put pen to paper when they have issues and there are many thousands out there with none, I'd like to believe that Whistle

Last edited by EYorkshire on 6th Dec 2010 3:08 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #83198 6th Dec 2010 2:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>