Home > Technical > Freelander 2 starting problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
belti

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Freelander 2 starting problems

Hi,

I've been having alot of trouble with my Freelander 2 2007 model the past couple of months. My car is randomly not starting. I insert the key, press the clutch and nothing happens. All the dials and checks start as normal but the car doesnt start. First time I didn't know about it and had it towed to my dealer. He disconnected the battery, waited a bit and then connected again and off it started.

This has been happening on and off for the past 2 months and it's driving me nuts. I took it to the local LR importer and they upgraded the body control and solar sensor software and replaced a couple of relay switches.

This didn't help and the problem has reoccured multiple times. They have now opened a case with LR about possibilty of replacing the Instrument Cluster Control Module. Haven't heard any news so far though.

Another thing I have noticed is that, when I retrieve the key apart from the noise the key makes, there is a switch sound some 2-3 seconds later. When the problem occurs I fail to here this. I was told it could be the steering lock not engaging properly.

Anyone out there encounter a problem similar to mine and if yes what did you do to get it solved?

Thanks in advance.

Post #83363 7th Dec 2010 6:07 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 
Re: Freelander 2 starting problems

Unnecessary Use of The Quote Button - Post Edited

Hi Belti

as you are in Malta, therefore you are not suffering from the arctic temperatures as some of the other fourm members do. I would start off by fully charging the car's battery. Wink

If your are still having issues afterwards, then it is time to do a full systems check.

But start with the basics first Thumbs Up With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi with twin TrueTracs
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
And some more serious stuff

Post #83365 7th Dec 2010 6:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The click your hearing a few seconds after taking key out is the steering lock engaging

Sometimes this jams on and prevents start ups, normally with a message on the dash, if yours is faulty as you dont hear it click, it might be a cause to look at first Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #83366 7th Dec 2010 6:36 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

sounds like a software glitch to me, are there any new updates that can be applied ?

Post #83377 7th Dec 2010 7:25 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

How quickly are you putting the key in and pressing the button? Sometimes, ususally if I'm in a bit of a rush I end up putting the key in and pressing the starter button before the key is properly docked and there's alsorts of clicking and servo motors whirring in the key and only the ignition turns on. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #83380 7th Dec 2010 7:30 pm
ad210358

England 

I'll second Big Dave's post, happened to me if you rush it Thumbs Up

Post #83386 7th Dec 2010 7:50 pm
belti

Hi all

Thanks for your replies. Some more info. I had the car for a year and this never happened. In the space of a couple of months the problem occurred some 5-6 times. So my gut feeling is that something is failing, not a software bug. The local LR importer said all the software is up to date for all the modules.

I had the battery checked twice by different people and they assured me it's fine, tho I still suspect this could be one of the reasons.

Re the steering lock, I tried turning the wheelas suggested in these forums, I even managed to lock it but still couldn't get it to start.

When taking out the key, I always wait for the steering wheel clicking noise before retreiving the key. Same thing as inserting, I never start before waiting for all the noises I normally here. I've been following this religiously since I read it here on the forums too but still problem occurred.

Recently, I stopped using the auto switch light and started using the manual switches as a theory. It seemed to be working until yesterday when I had the problem happen twice in a day. A first! Sad

So gettng a bit desperate now.

But thanks again for your great advice so far. Keep them coming! Smile

Post #83471 8th Dec 2010 8:26 am
LRFreel2SE56

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue
Intermittent Starting Problems

We have had our FL2 since 2007 (x-demo 56 plate) and over the last 3 or so years have had a number of (~8-10) random intermittent failed starts where we've needed to call out breakdown recovery.

On all occasions they have eventually restarted our car after either a battery reset (battery termionals off for 5 mins); reseating the fuses / connectors etc... or more recently the technician thought it might be falling into 'shipping mode' and therefore tried the hazzard lights on + break pedal; (probably with one finger in his ear!!). All sorts of fixes have been tried with oddly a random resolution each time Shocked

Every time we've taken it back to the dealership they have added the latest software updates and sent us on our way with the assurance that it wouldnt happen again; wrong!

It happend again this weekend (hence the post). This car is used by my wife and two children under 3yrs and I am increasingly concerned about their safety. We are booking the car back into the dealership today so any guidance on areas to look at; resolutions would be appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #84111 13th Dec 2010 3:08 pm
belti

Thanks for sharing LRFreel2SE56. I took mine to the dealership today and they are going to try and change the steering lock as a start and do some further tests.

Will keep you posted on how that one goes.

Post #84189 14th Dec 2010 11:00 am
belti

After a couple of days, the verdict is that a new steering lock needs to be programmed to the car in question. You cannot just replace it. Car got mobilised. Makes sense of course.

Next up, order a new one and reprogram it.

Post #84449 16th Dec 2010 3:39 pm
belti

Got the car to the dealership for some more error code reading. These are the ones found:

B1026
B1A14
U3000 - Control Module
P1259 - Immobilizer to PCM Signal Error

I also got the battery replaced in order to make sure that is not the cause and therefore scratched of the checklist.

From the little research I did, the codes can be found on the net but unfortunately there isn't much detail. Anyone got any links or docs to these fault codes?

Post #85181 22nd Dec 2010 6:09 pm
Bryan4X4

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Hi Belti
Intermittent Starting Problems
I also have a similar problem.
One of the problems i have, i can put the key in, press the start button all the lights come on as normal but the engine will not start, i try and retrive the key to repeat the process but the key will not come out at first. if i try to repeat the starting process finally the car will start.
Sometimes i press the start button the engine starts but the instruments cluster remains dead for 30 seconds i can drive off with no electrical items working then 30 seconds later the electics cut in.
The car as been in a number of times at my local main LR dealer they have replaced the instrument cluster, a control module and reprogrammed a computer. Still the car plays up.
I am coming to Sliema Malta in August we will have to exchange notes.
Big Cry

Post #97632 4th Apr 2011 1:38 pm
belti

Hello Bryan,

Sorry to read about your problems. You problem description does sound similar to mine although I never managed to start mine again unless I disconnect the battery.

To be honest I think my problem was solved perhaps by mistake. I say solved with all my fingers and toes crossed, because it hasn't occurred since mid-January whereas before it was a 3-4 time a week reoccurrence.

I'll share what happened. The LR mechanics from the local importer tried to replace the instrument cluster and the new part basically died on them during programming. They couldn't get it to work and LR UK mentioned that the new part was probably faulty and told them to get another one. Meanwhile to make sure they followed the procedure they reprogrammed my old instrument cluster and that worked. This apparently solved the problem unknowingly, cos I got it back and has been fine ever since.

If you're still having problems in August I'd be happy to meet with you and exchange ideas.

Hope this helps.

Post #97646 4th Apr 2011 2:35 pm
BJK

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 SD4 S Manual Baltic Blue

Belti
I feel like I'm reading the obituary of my freelander 2 2007, having the exact same problems as you described. I'm interested as to the whether your mechanic suggested changing the steering column and steering lock module to rectify the problem. Thats been suggested to me as the only solution. As a point of interest I am currently resigned to having an isolation switch fitted over the battery so I don't have to undo battery connection each time the engine fails to fire.
The price suggested for the new module and column is about 1,800 euro, not sure I'm willing to take the risk if that doesnt sort the problem
B

Post #100624 2nd May 2011 9:22 pm
dunroof

Faulty starter button.

Post #100642 2nd May 2011 11:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>