« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Some twit has just driven head on into my father-in-laws FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
maffs

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

dunroof wrote:
You as a customer have very little control over what the insurance company does or does not do. Sure you can try, but don't hold your breath.

If the damage is only 8k, it wont be written off. It's surprising what a wreck a car can look, yet a few new bits and a body panels later, it's a right as rain.

Despite the Assessor not having mechanical knowledge and you are quite right to have it looked at someone who is, the Assessor is not exactly thick either. He will have seen plenty of damaged cars and would be pretty accurate.

The thing to beware of is if it's written off, your in law probably wont get back as much as he needs to buy a new one, unless he has GAP insurance.

Being involved in accidents is a no win situation.

God bless that GAP policy he has Smile

The guy that came out was an estimator and £8000 may be the figure that he can see. The problem is, it's what he cannot see e.g. damage to diff/s, haldex unit (popular thread at the moment Smile ) ...and will the vehicle drive the same?...probably not and therefore this will be going back to the insurance company.

It has been made clear to the insurance company that a fine tooth comb will be applied (although i dont think they care Sad )

Post #84021 12th Dec 2010 10:12 am
dunroof

Insurance companies = financial damage limitation. At least he has GAP insurance, it's one of those things you can scoff at, but comes in handy. That said, it only covers you up to invoice value, well the LR one does.

I had someone, a forigner in a big Merc, who didn't know what side of the road to drive on, in a hire car, Hertz to be precise, drive into one of my cars. Accident Exchange took it on. 18 months later it's still dragging on. With hire car, repairs, out of pocket expenses it came to 8 grand. The other side has only offered 3k so far. It could end up in the High Court yet or settled on the day of the hearing.

The other sides Solicitors are even moaning I didn't need to go via Accident Excange, despite the LR main dealer referring me immediately I contacted them re the accident, because I had enough in my current account to cover a 3k hire. That might well have been true, but I couldn't afford for the money to have been outstanding for this length of time. What can you do?

Post #84033 12th Dec 2010 12:02 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

One thing I did say to the Ins Co when they were saying about approved bodyshops was that if I was unlucky enough to need body repairs & had to use their approved bodyshop I would inspect it on collection & if neccessary reject it if the work was not up to scratch & then check it again & reject it as many times till it was to my standard. I added this could prove far more costly for you (Ins Co) than allowing me to take it to where I wish in the first place!! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #84090 13th Dec 2010 2:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

dunroof wrote:
Insurance companies = financial damage limitation. At least he has GAP insurance, it's one of those things you can scoff at, but comes in handy. That said, it only covers you up to invoice value, well the LR one does.

I had someone, a forigner in a big Merc, who didn't know what side of the road to drive on, in a hire car, Hertz to be precise, drive into one of my cars. Accident Exchange took it on. 18 months later it's still dragging on. With hire car, repairs, out of pocket expenses it came to 8 grand. The other side has only offered 3k so far. It could end up in the High Court yet or settled on the day of the hearing.

The other sides Solicitors are even moaning I didn't need to go via Accident Excange, despite the LR main dealer referring me immediately I contacted them re the accident, because I had enough in my current account to cover a 3k hire. That might well have been true, but I couldn't afford for the money to have been outstanding for this length of time. What can you do?

It happened to me but with another '3rd party' claims company and I ended up with a rental bill almost 4 times that of the repairs! I think there is a bit of a scam going on with the insurance companies where they are giving very expensive and lavish hire cars and taking advantage of the third party... What people do not realise is that this could lead to claims not being paid out!

I was fortunate in that the 3rd party happened to be my employee and so I think they went lenient, but they still negotiated over the full amount!

A word of warning if you do use one of these 3rd party claims companies... do not accept a hire vehicle if it is in anyway better than yours (spec, engine, transmition etc), keep the hire to a minimum and make sure you have a very good reason for needing a car the same as yours (for example holidays, work etc) Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #84100 13th Dec 2010 11:21 am
dunroof

Very good advice.

Luckily we qualified on all counts. They even went into who was insured for the damaged car and who got insured for the loan car etc. etc. all as you say. The minutest of detail.

Accident Exchange underwrote the loan car, so no problems there even if the other side don't pay out.

I think they will, but it will take another 18 months. The action has to be brought to court before 3 years is up.

I dont agree in principal to them. Ambulance chasers and putters up of insurance premiums. When the LR dealer referred me, I stupidly considered it was an official LR aftercare thing. I'd never heard of it before. Doh!

Anyone thinking these comapnies are straightforward, think again. I am not saying dont use them, but be very wary.

Post #84136 13th Dec 2010 9:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123