Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Land Rover trade in...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Land Rover trade in...

So I have outstanding finance on my car, and I am looking to trade it in. The offered trade in does not cover the outstanding finance. So why then do the guys at the local Audi garage tell me that the traders that they use are offering a figure that matches the outstanding finance, or 2k more than LR...

It's a funny old world.

Looking at an Audi A6 avant 3.0 tdi quattro. Granted it can't go where a freely can, but it does 35 mpg, 150 mph, 0-60 in 7.1 secs. Interesting really Smile Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #81445 21st Nov 2010 10:38 pm
denviks

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

we had the same problem when we tried to trade our freebie1. it was a td4 in mint condition. almost new everything including work done on warrenty.

we went to the LR dealer we bought it from and he offered so low it made us laugh out loud in the showroom. seems its the way with LR as we did the tour of dealers. we werent going to let it go for that silly amount so ended up buying the freebie2 for a non lr dealer in the end as they offered what we knew it was worth what it was worth ....

Post #81482 22nd Nov 2010 9:34 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I've chopped in my last few cars now in part x for a new or nearly or new car and the difference in value offered by dealers is amazing. For example when swapping my BM for my Freel the local LR dealer tried to ffer me some rediculous amount for mine (without seeing it) over the phone for an overpriced FL2. When I suggested that we should talk, he said I dont think so and basically put the phone down Shocked Evil or Very Mad

I went in once looking at D3's and the same dealer tried to compare my e90 (new share) 330 for an e46 and said that it was worth about 2 - 3k less than what I wanted! Only when I told them to look at a, b & c did they go back and offer a bit more.

On the other hand other LR dealers I spoke to were much better and prepared to take a look and even give evaluations over the phone using e-mailed pictures and came in much closer to the mark. I think the trick is to not settle for the first offer, shop around, be prepared to travel for the car (non of my cars have been bought from local garages despite giving them the opportunity to sell me a car) and do your home work (get parkers price guides etc) Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #81484 22nd Nov 2010 10:20 am
xtattsbox

charrodine wrote:
(get parkers price guides etc)

That is what I have done. The Audi garage are offering what Parkers indicate the car is worth.

I think with my current level of dissatisfaction with the car LR would have tried a bit harder. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #81496 22nd Nov 2010 11:57 am
alanbgt

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Bali Blue

I was offered 16,000 for my golf as a trade in by Farnells in Leeds. I traded it myself with the local VW dealer for 17,600 taking nothing from them.. The Farnells offer was laughable, frankly.

AlanB
Somerset

Post #81504 22nd Nov 2010 1:20 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

LR have for a long time offered silly low values for used cars, although some dealers stand out!

We chopped in an immaculate '99 V8 ES Disco for a D3 HSE in 2005, and all the dealers said between '8-9 grand' for the trade in.

Imagine our surprise when GS sheffield offered £11.000!! We couldn't grab the salesmans hand to shake quick enough!

P.S, credit where credit's due... xtattsbox for not buying a STUPID Q7 or similar and recognising the A6 is the better car! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #81507 22nd Nov 2010 1:51 pm
twodogs

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

The Audi A6 Avant 3.0tdi quattro is a very very nice car, BUT you will not get 35mpg from it.

The chap next door-but-one has a 3.0l A4 Avent and gets 275 miles out of a full tank.....

He had a 2.0tdi and got 550-600 from that !!!

Post #81533 22nd Nov 2010 6:40 pm
xtattsbox

Test drove the sales managers car today, the showroom demo, everyone does the same thing. Nice to drive, christ that is quick and it showed 37 mpg on the computer. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #81542 22nd Nov 2010 9:58 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

And the trim won't fall off of it either. Our 5 year old A4 puts the FL2 to shame. Does nearly 47mpg on daily runs as well. 55 on a good run. Still, do prefer driving the FL2..... even with the door trim falling around my ears!

Post #81547 22nd Nov 2010 10:21 pm
xtattsbox

Ok, it isn't a Land Rover... (doh) But what a car. Suspension is a bit firm, apart from that awesome. Acceleration is quite incredible. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #81560 23rd Nov 2010 9:58 am
xtattsbox

Lack of available A6 Avant.... Audi A6 Allroad, basically an A6 with Air Suspension. Found a good one and will be checking it all out tomorrow.

Assuming it all goes well, I'll be posting my tearful goodbyes.... Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #81941 26th Nov 2010 7:45 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Just throw caution to the wind and get an RS6.

Post #82027 27th Nov 2010 9:52 pm
xtattsbox

They have one in the dealership.. About 30k short, unless you'd all like to start a whip... Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #82133 28th Nov 2010 7:58 pm
4wheeldriver

Scotland 

I had a 57 plate A6 quattro s-line 3.0tdi!! It was crap in the snow, (Spun it twice in a mile going round 2 roundabouts), it was like sitting in an old box cart, The autobox was crap when you used the flappy paddles and as for 35 mpg!!! NEVER HAPPEN!!! 32 was the best I saw driving like my great granny and when I complained it was nearly 15mpg shy of their published figures the after sales manager told me I was "stupid and niave to expect any more from a big diesel". It lasted 4 weeks and went!!! X5 3.0sd SE with more extras than the cast of Sparticus..............

Post #83461 8th Dec 2010 12:27 am
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I certainly agree that many dealers do try it on with trade-in prices. However, always remember that, for you, it is the cost-to-change that is the key. If the trade-in value is low, then negotiate hard on the new car price. If the trade-in value is high, then you are gonna have a hard time getting a good discount off the new car. Sometimes you can make it work in your favour both ways, but in reality it needs to be a win-win for you and a win-win for the dealer. Afterall, they do need to make their own living too.

It is fairly irrelevant what you get for your old car and what you pay for your new one (as long as it is fair) - the Cost-To-Change is the vital number. Chris

Post #83491 8th Dec 2010 12:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>