« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander Si4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Freelander Si4

We know the Evoque is getting a 237bhp 2.0 Turbo 4cylinder petrol engine, and rumour has it that Freelander 2 will get the same engine soon after the Evoque.

Anyone know who's engine it is? I had heard that it was the latest Vauxhall 2.0 Turbo which when fitted to Insignia is 220bhp. This engine has been around since 2003 and is also used in the Saab 9-3 and the latest version used in Insignia and 2011 9-5.

I really hope it is the Vauxhall engine, as it is an absolute gem! VERY tunable and very torquey. It's also designed to run with a Haldex 4x4 system. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #83185 6th Dec 2010 1:25 pm
mini-eggs

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue

I do hope you are right that it is the VX engine. My wallet may get twitchy if it turns out to be happening.

A hot freelander mmmmmmmm Very Happy

Post #83186 6th Dec 2010 1:39 pm
Mav71

mini-eggs wrote:
I do hope you are right that it is the VX engine. My wallet may get twitchy if it turns out to be happening.

A hot freelander mmmmmmmm Very Happy

There was talk of it being the Ford Ecoboost 2.0 Turbo, but apparently it's not designed to run with 4x4 applications. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #83189 6th Dec 2010 2:03 pm
mini-eggs

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue

Not that it would happen, but imagine the 2.8L engine from the vx insignia vxr, with a few little tuning goodies, that would 1 insane Freelander.

Post #83199 6th Dec 2010 2:43 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

can't see it happening myself, after all the competition is generating its more powerful cars via diesels, like the 3.0 tdi Q5, and they want to keep the petrol for the more sporty Evoque IMO

if it did happen though Cool and petrol been cheaper than diesel and if the mpg is good too then Cool Cool Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #83200 6th Dec 2010 2:49 pm
Mav71

mini-eggs wrote:
Not that it would happen, but imagine the 2.8L engine from the vx insignia vxr, with a few little tuning goodies, that would 1 insane Freelander.

The 2.8 V6 A28 NET turbo engine is good without a doubt, but 350bhp is about as far as you can go before you start needing engine internals.

The A20 NET 2.0 Turbo is good for 330bhp with standard injectors, but 340 is possible with different injectors.

Opel recently did a test at the Nurburgring with two Insignia's, a 2.8 V6 Turbo with 260bhp and a 2.0 Turbo which had a re-map to 260bhp, the 2.0 car was quicker, handles better, better mpg and lower on the emmisions.

So for me a decent spec 2.0 Turbo is the way forward.

Land Rover did evaluate the Volvo 3.0 straight 6 Turbo from the XC60 T6 for the Freelander 2. It is is effect the same engine as the 3.2 i6, but as Volvo and LR could not agree on a common Turbo charger for the both application's, it never made production. They figured that there would be no point in building the same engine with two difference turbochargers,.

300bhp was the figure being rumoured. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #83208 6th Dec 2010 3:45 pm
Huang

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

The trend is to build smaller capacity engines with turbos, s/c. Everyone is crazy about lowering fuel emissions. It does make sence, just look at the Golf R. Too bad LR doesn't have the turbo six, would of been something.

Post #83306 7th Dec 2010 4:06 am
themightymcphed

It's the Ford ecoboost engine that the Evoque is getting. Doubt we'll see it in a Freelander. They'll want to keep the brands differentiated a bit.

Am I the only one in Scotland hoping for it to snow again. Went to the dealer to pick up my freelander the other day and by the time I got back, some inconsiderate git had ploughed all the snow from my estate. Not had the chance to properly try it in the snow yet. Some people eh?? Laughing As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he

Post #83842 10th Dec 2010 6:14 pm
heliosuk

If it's true I expect it will be the Mazda engine that goes in the FL2. No way will it be a GM engine as general commercial agreements with the Ford sale agreement won't allow it.

Post #83878 11th Dec 2010 12:34 am
athelstan

heliosuk wrote:
If it's true I expect it will be the Mazda engine that goes in the FL2. No way will it be a GM engine as general commercial agreements with the Ford sale agreement won't allow it.

Take a close look at the CV of the Boss of LR and you'll discover that there is every possibility that it could be a GM unit.

Post #83917 11th Dec 2010 10:16 am
Mav71

It is interesting what is said here, from what I have read, the Ford Ecoboost engine is not designed for 4 wheel drive applications, and the GM link keeps popping up! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #84071 12th Dec 2010 7:22 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

so Ford Ecoboost won't appear in Kuga?

Post #84080 12th Dec 2010 9:22 pm
ad210358

England 

I would be surprised to see Ford either put another petrol unit in the line up or drop the 2.5 that is currently in it, not many manufacturers have more than one petrol unit in the range with the big shift to diesel in the last few years.

Post #84126 13th Dec 2010 7:59 pm
Oscr

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Personally I would prefer a creamy 2,5-2,8 L V6 diesel, with about 200-220 bhp, mated to a DSG-type gearbox.

A smoother, unstressed, quieter engine with more torque, better MPG and lower emissions than the 190 bhp SD4.

But I don't think such an engine exists. Leopard tank drivers never stop at anything.

2007 TD4 HSE Moon Roof Ebony Leather Navi...

Post #84133 13th Dec 2010 8:54 pm
Huang

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I read this somewhere:

"Power for the Evoque is provided by a version of Ford's 2.0 litre turbocharged EcoBoost petrol engine, dubbed Si4 in Land Rover guise and paired with a six-speed automatic transmission.

Weighing 40kg less than Land Rover's inline six, the Si4 engine offers a comparable output, producing 180kW and 360Nm of torque in the Evoque. This same engine is expected to debut in the Australian Ford Falcon sometime in 2011 or 2012.

Diesel engines will also be offered, both 2.2 litre four-cylinder engines producing 110kW and 140kW respectively, paired with either the six-speed auto or a six-speed manual transmission - the latter combined with a fuel-saving stop/start system.

Land Rover claims significant fuel consumption improvements across all three engines, although specific numbers have yet to be revealed.

Both 4WD and front-wheel-drive versions of the Evoque have also been confirmed. A Haldex four-wheel-drive setup adds Land Rover's multi-terrain system, with driving mode that include general driving, grass/gravel/snow, mud and ruts, and sand.

The Evoque will also feature adaptive magnetic dampers, representing the first application of this system on any Land Rover model. A dynamic mode is available for models fitted with the adaptive dampers, designed to significantly reduce body roll for more aggressive cornering potential."

That would be a pretty sweet petrol engine.

Post #84175 14th Dec 2010 2:24 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>