Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Why your battery doesn't fully charge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
pfjths

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

As a point. The discussion has focussed on traditional lead acid batteries. I think we have gel batteries in the MY10 stop/start. These are different and require a different charging regime being designed for "deep discharge". Thus caution as to which model you have.

Post #82787 3rd Dec 2010 3:16 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

Alex

you are approaching this subject in the right way. Yes I agree with you it should be put in technical.

The problematics with todays highly electronic cars are the fact, that the various comfort electronics put an ever higher demand onto the vehicle battery.

The other problem is that few dealers deliver new cars to customers with a fully charged battery. If that battery now falls below 49% of charge, rapid sulphation will set in and drastically shorten the useful life of the battery. It can also lead to acid stratification (High SG at the bottom of the cell and low SG at the top)

We were first confronted in 1987 with these problems, when a new model of the manufacturer I was working for at that time was launched onto the SA market. Within 2 weeks the first cars (luxury class) were stranded at the airports. It became a major headache.

We then did some investigation and found that the cars were delivered to customers with an average 20% battery charge. Upon confronting the workshop personnel who did the PDI at the dealerships we were told, "but the battery is being charged while driving". Rolling Eyes That is when we had to jump into action with a national education campaign for all dealerships. It took some time, before this message was taken to heart by all the technical staff at the dealerships.

As we go along this problem will get more of a headache. On some of the latest model cars, alternators are indeed able to charge up to 14.2V, but 14.4V gassing threshold remains.

A further aspect to cause grief in years to come is the fitment of silver calcium batteries to cars with 13.8V systems. The reason why this is going to become a problem is that a silver calcium battery requires a 14.2V charge. At 13.8V the alternator will work overtime until somthing gives...

We have over 100 documented cases, where this caused a Zener diode to blow in the alternator, which effectively put it into open voltage. A 12 V alternator in "open voltage" can produce 200V. A split second (before the fuses blow) is enough to do serious damage to computers and ECU's in such vehicle.

Lets have a civilized and intelligent forum discussion about this and I am more than willing to contribute my many years of experience. But I will refuse to take part in a discussion, where ignorance rules Wink With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi with twin TrueTracs
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
And some more serious stuff

Post #82789 3rd Dec 2010 3:19 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 
Re: Why your battery doesn't charge

Quote:
DiscoGeorge corrected himself
So, maybe should be said that "a vehicle battery cannot be charged completely by driving around"...

I think you should have said that in the first instance Rolling Eyes

EYorkshire

you are absolutely correct. Read further down my last to postings.

I would like to hear the experiences you guys (and gals) are having in Europe where opposite temperature extremes are prevalent.

Also with diesel vehicles, a full cranking speed is vital to start the vehicle on a very cold morning. With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Last edited by DiscoGeorge on 4th Dec 2010 6:16 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #82790 3rd Dec 2010 3:25 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

pfjths wrote:
As a point. The discussion has focussed on traditional lead acid batteries. I think we have gel batteries in the MY10 stop/start. These are different and require a different charging regime being designed for "deep discharge". Thus caution as to which model you have.

Hi pfjths

yes gel batteries require a different charging regime, i.e. 14.7V when hooked up to a CTEK charger. I am using the CTEK example because they are the de-facto industry standard today.

On a GEL battery, the * (snow flake or 14.7V) charging mode has to be used.

I run a mix of cheap batteries for the daily runners VW Citi Golf, medium quality for Moms taxi (Varta lead acid) and Varta E14 Gel batteries for my 500/560 Mercs.

Interesting on my R129 500SL (1991) after 3 weeks standing, the battery is less than 20% charged if not connected to a charger. NB this is without driving it. On my 560SEL it takes about 6-10 weeks to reach the same state. The difference comes from the amount of electronics built into the various vehicles. The more electronics in a vehicle, the quicker the battery will drain. With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #82791 3rd Dec 2010 3:33 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Battery's lose there memory after a while. your phone does the same, eventually the battery doesn't last as long. Same with all battery's.

Explanation finished...not interested in the physics thanks! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #82793 3rd Dec 2010 3:57 pm
alex_pescaru

The followings:
1. Increasingly electronics that still remains on after the key is removed;
2. Intense strain/load when cranking the engine together with the load of glow plugs on diesel engines;
3. Self discharging of the lead battery (less important when the car is used daily);
combined with:
4. Short distance(s) traveled inside a city, meaning short times when the alternator is allowed to (re)charge the battery;
5. Limitations that must be imposed to alternators for the charging current of the batteries;
lead to a quicker degradation/sulphation of the batteries.
Those (mainly last two), in my oppinion, are the reasons why the car battery life is shortened.
This is more obvious for taxi cars which have many more start-ups combined with short trips, therefore less time for recharging between discharges and the alternator can't properly compensate with the progressively loss of charge.
On trucks that does many interstate/long trips this is less obvious, because the alternator has the time to charge the battery.

Post #82796 3rd Dec 2010 4:01 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

Hi big Dave

your comments are valuable. The idea of this discussion is not to only bombard forum members with technical mumbo jumbo and formulas, but rather to look at ways to maximize the life of batteries and to reduce the likelyhood of getting stranded.

I would also like to know how many of you have had the same battery in their cars for 7 years or longer? My personal record (ok here in SA) is 12 years on a 6V battery in a 1958 vehicle. With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #82798 3rd Dec 2010 4:07 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

alex_pescaru wrote:
The followings:
1. Increasingly electronics that still remains on after the key is removed;
2. Intense strain/load when cranking the engine together with the load of glow plugs on diesel engines;
3. Self discharging of the lead battery (less important when the car is used daily);
combined with:
4. Short distance(s) traveled inside a city, meaning short times when the alternator is allowed to (re)charge the battery;
5. Limitations that must be imposed to alternators for the charging current of the batteries;
lead to a quicker degradation/sulphation of the batteries.
Those (mainly last two), in my oppinion, are the reasons why the car battery life is shortened.
This is more obvious for taxi cars which have many more start-ups combined with short trips, therefore less time for recharging between discharges and the alternator can't properly compensate with the progressively loss of charge.
On trucks that does many interstate/long trips this is less obvious, because the alternator has the time to charge the battery.

Hi Alex

points 1,4 and 5 are the main culprits Wink With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #82799 3rd Dec 2010 4:09 pm
alex_pescaru

Nick, is it possible for you to change your mind and this topic to be moved to Technical?
Because it's a technical issue as long as we stick to the topic and keep things civilized.
Eventually changing its title, if OK with DiscoGeorge, to "Why your battery doesn't fully charge" or a more generic one "Battery issues".

Post #82800 3rd Dec 2010 4:13 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

alex_pescaru wrote:
Nick, is it possible for you to change your mind and this topic to be moved to Technical?
Because it's a technical issue as long as we stick to the topic and keep things civilized.
Eventually changing its title, if OK with DiscoGeorge, to "Why your battery doesn't fully charge" or a more generic one "Battery issues".

Hi Nick

I would go along with "Why your battery doesn't fully charge".

We could then also later have a separate thread "Influences on Motronic by a partially charged battery" which is a very intriguing topic on its on.

Wink With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #82803 3rd Dec 2010 4:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Topic Moved for you Alex Thumbs Up

Title Changed too Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #82807 3rd Dec 2010 5:14 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Shocked My Ferrari has'nt got a battery charger Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #82810 3rd Dec 2010 5:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thats because its a matchbox one and on your desk Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #82814 3rd Dec 2010 5:59 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

1969 Triumph... 15 year old battery just been changed cos it died Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #82817 3rd Dec 2010 6:09 pm
alex_pescaru

DiscoGeorge wrote:
The problematics with todays highly electronic cars are the fact, that the various comfort electronics put an ever higher demand onto the vehicle battery.
The other problem is that few dealers deliver new cars to customers with a fully charged battery.

I will put here a link to an old file, uploaded some time ago.
BATTERY CARE MANUAL
You will see there, in Introduction chapter, that the dealers (at least LR dealers) are bound to charge the battery from time to time.
Also, from FL2 point of view, if all works OK, the quiescent drain current will be less than 24 mA. (Appendix B)
This, at least in theory, with a fully charged 80Ah battery, like the OEM ones, will translate in over 124 days (4 months) until the battery will be fully depleted. Of course towards the end of this period the battery will not be able to start the car, but at least, hopefully, it will unlock it. Very Happy

Post #82833 3rd Dec 2010 7:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>