BBC News This evening

See the last 10 seconds- Freelander towing a Quashqi out of snow Smile
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11883714 Indus Silver
GS TD4
Private Parts

Post #82551 1st Dec 2010 10:28 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I spotted it too, Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Freelander 1 Quashqi 0 Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

The Fl2 Has been the Taxi for every one over the last 8 days as the my wife's car is under a foot of snow, Ihave been on the school run for the last week etc etc and I have pulled a few cars out over the last few days.
Bring it on Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #82554 1st Dec 2010 10:37 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

and in a parallel universe a 4wd Qashncarry pulls out a 2wd Freelander... Twisted Evil

Post #82559 1st Dec 2010 11:33 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Never known snow like it as I drove 16 miles to work today. All main roads through large towns on the way to Derby where covered in snow with no visible tarmac. There were seven FWD cars stuck bumper to bumper cos a van could not make a left turn. The look on their faces was great when I ploughed through the drifted snow at the side of the road and got through to carry on my journey Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #82560 1st Dec 2010 11:33 pm
SPNRACING

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Looks like they changed the clip, no FL2 that I could see.

We've had about 1ft here, Freelander just drives through it all. 2010 HSE Auto in Santorini Black/almond with xenons and privacy glass.

Post #82565 2nd Dec 2010 12:03 am
Cerdo

United Arab Emirates 

Barstewards. Why Oh Why do i pay my licence fee! Indus Silver
GS TD4
Private Parts

Post #82569 2nd Dec 2010 12:56 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Natwest wrote:
and in a parallel universe a 4wd Qashncarry pulls out a 2wd Freelander... Twisted Evil

go and live there then you muppet,, nissan my arse Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #82576 2nd Dec 2010 9:24 am
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Interesting comment in Auto Express testing the FWD freelander...Apparently it's better off road than a quattro Q5!

Maybe this winter isn't going to be quite as embarrassing to LR with teh 2WD intro as I first thought!? Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #82602 2nd Dec 2010 2:11 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Big Dave wrote:
Interesting comment in Auto Express testing the FWD freelander...Apparently it's better off road than a quattro Q5!

Maybe this winter isn't going to be quite as embarrassing to LR with teh 2WD intro as I first thought!?

Probably because Landrover fit M&S tyres as standard where as the Q5 probably has tyres more suited to high speed driving in the outside lane in the dry, a lot of it is down to the tyres fitted, I mean a Freelander would be hopeless with bald tyres say, would it not? I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #82617 2nd Dec 2010 4:00 pm
Blue

United Kingdom 

Mona Geeza wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Maybe this winter isn't going to be quite as embarrassing to LR with teh 2WD intro as I first thought!?

Probably because Landrover fit M&S tyres as standard where as the Q5 probably has tyres more suited to high speed driving in the outside lane in the dry, a lot of it is down to the tyres fitted, I mean a Freelander would be hopeless with bald tyres say, would it not?

+1 for that!

As some may know, I'm in a Z4, it's currently wearing Wintrac Extreme tyres. I've not got stuck once, have powered up hills that FWD cars couldn't get up and can stop pretty quickly and safely compared to the summer tyre wearing cars that I've driven before.

I have to say, I'm dying to find a proper 4X4 that is running on summer road tyres, just how far will their jaw drop when they get stuck and see a Z4 drive past? I can't wait to find out. Rolling with laughter

So anyway, moral of the story, the car is more or less irrelevant, it's all about the tyres, if I can turn a Z4 into a competent snow car then the Freelander should be chugging up mountains! Bow down Blue

Post #82902 3rd Dec 2010 11:42 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Er, yes and no.
My FL2 has standard road tyres; we havn't had much snow but an awful lot of ice. But snow is a piece of Censored to drive on.
I've kept going and had to use the DSC switch a lot.
FL2 is really a great motor; i live in the middle of nowhere , no salt/grit and thank God i've got FL2.

Post #82905 3rd Dec 2010 11:52 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Er, yes and no.
My FL2 has standard road tyres; we havn't had much snow but an awful lot of ice. But snow is a piece of Censored to drive on.
I've kept going and had to use the DSC switch a lot.
FL2 is really a great motor; i live in the middle of nowhere , no salt/grit and thank God i've got FL2.

Post #82907 3rd Dec 2010 11:59 pm
Blue

United Kingdom 

When you say standard road tyres you mean summer road tyres without even an M+S marking?

If that's the case then I'm very impressed, my dad's (RWD) car on very good summer tyres just wouldn't move up the incline in my estate, if there wasn't a secret escape route that involves less of an incline I think I'd have had to have towed him out with the Z4 lol as even with two of us pushing it didn't budge! Blue

Post #84085 12th Dec 2010 10:25 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It'll be to do with axle articulation as well I'm guessing as good articulation means wheels stay on the floor for traction.

But ye the fact they fit 'useful' tyres will be alot to do with it, rather than racing slicks! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #84105 13th Dec 2010 12:26 pm
ad15

Blue wrote:
Mona Geeza wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Probably because Landrover fit M&S tyres as standard where as the Q5 probably has tyres more suited to high speed driving in the outside lane in the dry, a lot of it is down to the tyres fitted, I mean a Freelander would be hopeless with bald tyres say, would it not?

+1 for that!

As some may know, I'm in a Z4, it's currently wearing Wintrac Extreme tyres. I've not got stuck once, have powered up hills that FWD cars couldn't get up and can stop pretty quickly and safely compared to the summer tyre wearing cars that I've driven before.

I have to say, I'm dying to find a proper 4X4 that is running on summer road tyres, just how far will their jaw drop when they get stuck and see a Z4 drive past? I can't wait to find out. Rolling with laughter

So anyway, moral of the story, the car is more or less irrelevant, it's all about the tyres, if I can turn a Z4 into a competent snow car then the Freelander should be chugging up mountains! Bow down

had the pleasure of following a Z4 wearing winter tyres onto the autobahn at munich airport in january this year, mid snowstorm,,, th e driver seemed to be of a similar opinion..

right up to the point where he touched the go pedal,,,, snd span across 4 lanes of traffic.. miraculously everyone managed to avoid him... he then spun sll the way back to the hard shoulder....the end result was 6 cars totalled.. Shocked

his face was not so smiley when the police arrived..

any car can be improved by winter tyres,, but if there is a muppet at the wheel then its still as easy for it all to go wrong

Post #84122 13th Dec 2010 7:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>