Home > General > Help with HDC!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Davidoffgu15

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black
Help with HDC!!!

Hi all,
This is going to sound really lame but... I have a FL2 which has HDC. How do I use it? Do I stick it in 1st and take my feet off everything? i.e off the clutch and brake and the car will take over? Or do I need to keep the clutch pedaland brake held down?

Help please?

Post #82346 30th Nov 2010 4:38 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Yep, that's it. Just put her in 1st, let out the clutch and press the HDC switch and take you feet off the pedals. Depressing the clutch or brake pedal will switch HDC off. You can use the cruise switches to either increase or decrease your speed.
The slope needs to be quite steep for HDC to work; but you can tell when it's on, it makes quite a noise, but don't worry, it's supposed to.
All you need to do is find a steep slope and play with both HDC and GRC. Preferably not on ice or snow if it's your first time.
Enjoy Thumbs Up

Post #82348 30th Nov 2010 5:11 pm
Davidoffgu15

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

That's great - many thanks! think it might come in handy on the way home. A LOT of snow here.
Regards
Dave

Post #82349 30th Nov 2010 5:15 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

And as always, READ THE HANDBOOK!!!

Post #82360 30th Nov 2010 7:02 pm
Pegleg

I assumed Dave was at work and didn't have his handbook with him.
I was only too pleased to help.

Post #82361 30th Nov 2010 7:04 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Sorry Dave. Didn't mean to be rude. But seriously, for any car, you need to have read the book to know how to drive it. If it's your first Land Rover I think there's also an online guide somewhere about how to drive off road. TBH the HDC is not a lot of use on the average road - you need a serious slope for it to function. In normal conditions the ABS does the job (and on snow, you may be surprised at how long it takes to stop)!
When you have the time and some spare cash take a LR Experience half day to see how it works.
Had to stop mine today going up a slope so slippery the handbrake wouldn't hold it, but still pulled away up the hill no problem. Awsome machine!

Post #82368 30th Nov 2010 7:37 pm
Pegleg

Must admit that stopping almost 2 tons on snow/ice downhill is difficult as i found out!

I also find that the anti-stall feature works against you in snow/ice when you want use the gearbox for braking.
Pity it can't be disabled at will.

Post #82373 30th Nov 2010 7:55 pm
EXPENCELANDER

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My local IKEA store has a car park exit 3 stories high and resembles an artificial ski slope, HDC is great on this when its been snowing. Pity they dont provide flags to do a Slalem. Laughing Offset your Carbon emissions by boycotting Baked Beans and all Green Vegitables.

Post #82378 30th Nov 2010 8:49 pm
stuartmitch

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

Past master wrote:
And as always, READ THE HANDBOOK!!!

Not having a go Past master but the handbook isn't dreadfully clear on using HDC with a manual. Kinda wishing I got an auto to be honest... Sad

There is definitely no substitute for trying out the toys before you really need them though. Thumbs Up

Post #82437 1st Dec 2010 11:35 am
athelstan

stuartmitch
1: Your "manual" gearbox will provide excellent assistance in all weathers and road conditions with the added bonus that it is more fuel efficient than an auto box.

2:However, the capabilities of the FL2 cannot be programmed for an Owner's inabilities or inexperience. That makes it even more sensible to read the Owner's Handbook and to practice some of its interesting aids to safe driving, plus, to take a LR Experience day - as previous Posters have recommended. You'll feel all the more confident and safer doing so.

3: Here we have many very very steep mountains. I can assure you that the manual gearbox plus TRS and HDC work very well together on very steep snow covered descents, some of which are sign posted as black ski runs.

4: When driving through very deep powder snow switching off the DSC will aid progress.

Finally have fun - your have the right vehicle to enable you to do so in safety.

Post #82442 1st Dec 2010 12:54 pm
EXPENCELANDER

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have more trouble with HDC in AUTO as I dont know what Gear its ever in.

With my old model and Manual box just put into 1st gear, press the HDC button in on the gear lever and take yer feet off the pedals. Speed & Braking is done automatically until you loose confidence and put your feet on the pedals, then the problems start that HDC has been taking care of all along.
In my mind this is the only Button needed, having had both systems and both boxes my vote goes to the more simple, reliable and less fussy options. (push this lever, press this button, dial this program, sometimes yer aint got time to think what the sequence is. We dont always have advance knowledge of what the situation immediatly ahead is and therefore do not always have the time to think too deeply about the Spaceship control panel.)
All the gadgets and gismos along with the armchair comfort certainly sells more vehicles but after reading posts about how to get the best Polished finish and how to cover up minor marks I wonder if the vehicles will ever be used for the purpose these vehicles were intended for.
When I sold my old one the Sales bloke went over it noting scatches, after the noting of 3 I said, "it's a 4X4 Offroad vehicle what do you expect, it's not happy unless it's covered in Mud and Branch scrapes."
His reply was "Glad to see it's been used for the purpose it was built for, most people get out of these cars with Stilleto Heels on." Offset your Carbon emissions by boycotting Baked Beans and all Green Vegitables.

Post #82464 1st Dec 2010 3:32 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Yes, sorry again, I know the handbook is not always clear and indeed it's sometimes wrong! But it's a good start to learning about a car that's very different to a normal motor. Read, absorb, then go and find out more!

Post #82561 1st Dec 2010 11:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1