Home > General > Winter driving differences Auto/Manual
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green
Winter driving differences Auto/Manual

Hi

I currently have a manual FL2...always been a manual man..but seriously considering an auto next time.....just wondering how auto drivers find the winter road condtions...

For example in the manual, in the ice, I normally press the clutch to lose speed and coast/slow down toward junctions etc rather than use the brakes..how do those with autos approach junctions..as normal and use the brakes?

What different driving styles do you have between auto/manual?

Cheers

Richard

Post #82132 28th Nov 2010 7:52 pm
andw

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

you should realy not coast as this cause skidding howver plan and change and use the engine to bring to halt. i used auto all last winter and as long as ur carefull as normal no change to the handling

Post #82135 28th Nov 2010 8:17 pm
richardk

andw wrote:
you should realy not coast as this cause skidding howver plan and change and use the engine to bring to halt. i used auto all last winter and as long as ur carefull as normal no change to the handling

Cheers for that...yes I do change down but often cost the last few metres so actually get to a stop...good to know there is good engine braking with an auto box to slow you down.

Post #82137 28th Nov 2010 8:26 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

When mine was last at the stealer, I had an auto as a loan car. I was amazed how much time I spent on the brakes due to lack of engine braking that I was used to. My manual is 45000 miles and the front pads are 50% worn; although I do a lot on the motoroway this says a lot.
I know the auto is "always in the right gear" and if you do a lot of off-road crawling the manual will work the clutch hard but, in snow, I can use the gears to stay in contrl of the drivetrain and use engine braking to avoid (Minimise) braking on dodgy surfaces.

Had some fun with mine in the car park of a sub-zero orienteering event - 4-wheel drifting in M&R Surprised) Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #82141 28th Nov 2010 8:57 pm
alex_pescaru

For using engine brake, in an auto, just slide it into sport.
And if you still want more control, use Command-Shift, meaning change the gears manually.
In Sport mode and in Command-Shift mode, the lock-up clutch is activated as quick as possible, in all gears, so you have a pretty nice "manual" box. With the single difference that if you forgot to change down it will do it for you. Very Happy

Post #82143 28th Nov 2010 9:17 pm
richardk

alex_pescaru wrote:
For using engine brake, in an auto, just slide it into sport.
And if you still want more control, use Command-Shift, meaning change the gears manually.
In Sport mode and in Command-Shift mode, the lock-up clutch is activated as quick as possible, in all gears, so you have a pretty nice "manual" box. With the single difference that if you forgot to change down it will do it for you. Very Happy

Thanks Alex...how do you knock it into sport mode?

Post #82153 28th Nov 2010 10:15 pm
Speedway

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

When in drive [D] slide the selector to the left and you are in sport mode then forward to change up and backwards to change down. Gone, 2007 TD4 SE Auto Baltic blue, clear side repeaters, full sized alloy spare.

English by birth..... Yorkshire by the grace of God.

Post #82155 28th Nov 2010 10:22 pm
richardk

Speedway wrote:
When in drive [D] slide the selector to the left and you are in sport mode then forward to change up and backwards to change down.

Cheers I drove an auto on the off road experience but a great deal of wine has flowed since then...not when I'm driving of course!

Is that how you hold it in 1st or 2nd then for the up hill/down dale bit

Do you find your auto ok at stopping using the brakes in icy conditions?

Post #82156 28th Nov 2010 10:34 pm
Speedway

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

Yes that's how to hold it in gear, auto box fine in winter, just got home and have to come down a very steep crescent shaped hill from the road to my house, the surface was covered in snow and ice so came down locked in 1st as slowly as possible with no problems, stopping not a problem if you are mindfull of the conditions. Gone, 2007 TD4 SE Auto Baltic blue, clear side repeaters, full sized alloy spare.

English by birth..... Yorkshire by the grace of God.

Post #82158 28th Nov 2010 10:46 pm
SPNRACING

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Chris B wrote:
When mine was last at the stealer, I had an auto as a loan car. I was amazed how much time I spent on the brakes due to lack of engine braking that I was used to.

Ah - but that is also the reason why you are half as likely to be hit from behind in an automatic than a manual (according to an advanced driving course I went on a few years back).

Using the clutch/gears to slow on approach to a junction means no warning to someone not paying full attention behind you. 2010 HSE Auto in Santorini Black/almond with xenons and privacy glass.

Post #82160 28th Nov 2010 10:49 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

As I have said in previous posts, all vehicles used at LR Experience are Auto, if you want to see the conditions at Dunkeld in January this year look at my gallery photos. Dont doubt conditions at Dunkeld (if you can get there) will be similar to Januarys. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #82171 28th Nov 2010 11:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1