Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > My MY11 faults
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
EYorkshire

I'm being mis-understood and being quoted as agreeing there is a fault Sad
The short time I have owned mine reversing is now so simple and I would never have reversed into a "no parking" sign with my XTrail if I had them. They are behaving perfectly with the rain and snow. Thumbs Up

Post #82290 30th Nov 2010 9:30 am
Jibers

United Kingdom 

After the SD4 flagged up it was running on reduced engine performance for the 2nd time, I called Landrover assist yesterday. By the sounds of it, it was one of the busiest days they had seen. 3 hours to get to me.
Anyway he plugged in to the computer and sure enough it was to do with a sensor for dpf. He said I already had the sensor guard protector fitted and now he uploaded a software update that solves the issue.
He was gone an hour later, and its all fixed.
He did say in London this is a big problem and dpf's need to have a good run of at least 50 miles every couple of weeks. However, in Aylesbury this is more simple to do.
landrover assist were excellent. Very Happy

Post #82292 30th Nov 2010 9:57 am
EYorkshire

Apologies if it's been answered elsewhere but how do you know if a DPF is fitted?

Post #82293 30th Nov 2010 10:19 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

EYorkshire wrote:
Apologies if it's been answered elsewhere but how do you know if a DPF is fitted?

Shocked You get the DPF FULL warning on the display and Freely goes into limp mode Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #82294 30th Nov 2010 10:22 am
Jibers

United Kingdom 

Mine hasn't yet come up with the DPF full message & all My11 models have it fitted.

If you don't see plumes of smoke when you accelerate hard out of your exhaust, then you probably have one fitted.

Post #82297 30th Nov 2010 10:38 am
sparrows

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The first time the light came on there was no limp mode. The second time it went into limp mode.

The parking sensor comes on and stays on in forward - reverse or neutral until I switch them off.

About the vibration - when driving and accelerating I can feel a vibration on the floor with my left foot. This appears to happen when it t's in fourth gear and then goes away in fifth or fifth to sixth. I should have tried it using command shift and then I would have known for sure what gear it was in.

It will be parked up until I get home on the 23rd of December.

Post #82336 30th Nov 2010 2:32 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

athelstan wrote:
xtattsbox wrote:
Take it back to the dealer and reject the car out of hand. The will tell you that it is operating within parameters and not fix it. The problem is with the gearbox. To replace it involves taking the front of the car off and the cost is approx 10k. LR will not do it.

It is my opinion that this is a known fault with the cars.

xtattsbox
Are you referring here to the vibration issue as the one relating to the gearbox Question or to the reverse alarm comment in this thread Question

If vibration, then can you please elaborate on how you "know" it is the gear box as her Ladyship's manual FL2 MY2010 presently vibrates through the accelerator pedal: minimal when stationary on tick over - then it is very apparent when driving at speeds above 80kph (140kph and it is very irritating on a long drive) and at these speeds it also transmits through the steering wheel and drivers seat. Checks have been done on the prop shaft balancers (OK) and for hard spot on the tyres (all ok) and for wheel balancing and tracking (all okay). So I would be very interested in further information on this subject. Thanks.

No problem. First, I don't "know" it is the gearbox (or torque converter), but I will explain my reasoning. the vibration issue that I have with my car occurs at around 1500 rpm and up to 2000 rpm. It it felt through the seat. Basically the car vibrates when travelling at speeds from 45 to 65 mph. Perfect for driving around!!

It is more apparent when the car is under load. At just over 70mph, there is no vibration at all. Find a slight hill, and the vibration is there.

LR have mentioned various things, Diffs, Haldex, Prop Shafts, non of which will be effected by the cure. And the Cure is quite simple, Change down a gear. Once the revs get up to 2200 / 2500 rpm the vibration stops.

It must therefore either be Engine, Gearbox or Torque converter. My instinct tells me it is the gearbox or Torque converter.

I now know of 5 Freelanders that all exhibit the same problem. Interesting post on Wikipedia about the Autobox for the Freelander. According to that post, the maximum torque the gearbox can handle is 440Nm. Now interestingly, the engine produces 400 Nm of torque with Overboost allowing a transient 420 Nm... The margin for error, if an engine has a little more or the gearbox can handle a little less is tiny... Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #82352 30th Nov 2010 5:56 pm
athelstan

xtattsbox
Thank you for your thoughts on the vibration - appreciated and noted.

-o0o-

Anyone:
The research continues - so if anyone else has any engineering input on this irritating problem (especially on long journeys) then your data is most welcome.

Post #82422 1st Dec 2010 7:19 am
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

No problem. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #82432 1st Dec 2010 9:53 am
Mercedes_Ben

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue
Re: My MY11 faults

sparrows wrote:
Hi everyone. I have been the owner of a new XS SD4 automatic for about three weeks after owning a GS manual for 2 1/2 years.
I took it back to the dealer the day after I got it because the one touch windows would not work. - Fixed in minutes
A few days later it was back in because the engine warning light came for Reduced Engine Performance. There was no reduced performance but they said that a clip was loose which again took minutes to fix.
A couple of days later the same thing but this time the engine performance was reduced. When I took it back they said that they were just about to call me as they had notification of a recall and a new part needed to be installed. Wasn't I lucky to have been there. Two hours later it was fixed.
Four days went by with no problems until the engine stopped whilst I was in the outside lane of a dual carriageway when it was dark and foggy.
This time I waited nearly three hours for LR assist to get the car taken away on the back of a truck.
The dealer had it for three days and they said that it had run out of fuel - although the gauge was showing half full and the range just under 200 miles.
They said a new fuel sender has now been installed and the car will be 100% reliable.
Last Sunday the parking alarm came on everytime I put it into reverse and stayed on until I switched it off by the button.
Before I left UK on Monday I also noticed a vibration coming through the floor when driving at certain speeds and in I think 4th or 5th gear.
Because I am now out of the country until the 23rd December I can't get it back to the dealer until the 24th.
Has anyone else had vibration problems.

Quite frankly with those faults I would ask for another vehicle. You would be well within your legitimate rights. Any problems with the dealer, bring in Trading Standards. Also who ever built the vehicle and did the quality control check should be sacked. Can you imagine such incompetence in the Aviation industry ?
Unbelievable Censored

Post #86496 4th Jan 2011 11:15 pm
APCo

United Kingdom 

My11 SD XS 1 month old and 2500 miles.

Problems -
[list=] rear number plate falling off - difficult when you are 220 miles from home, but sorted between the supplying dealer and the local dealer (Oxford and Ripon). I notice that some of the sticky pads on the front one are coming adrift so I assume both plates where attached in the wrong conditions.
Orange warning light indicating reduced engine performance came on - the car has had regular long motorway trips so it could not be a particulate filter problem. Called supplying dealer and followed instructions to leave it switched off to see if it rerset. No success so was advised to take it in. Couldnt be more helpful or quicker, car reset and sent on our way immediately. However they did say that this was a known problem and they had just had a recall notice that morning[/list]

On the whole I could not be happier with the car or the Dealer sevice I have recieved. More than happy to have chosen this as our second FL2.

Post #86528 5th Jan 2011 9:56 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12