« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Dog crate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 
Dog crate

Looking for a solution to keeping my new SD4 nice and clean at the back by confining my Springer - he likes a crate anyway. Not impressed with any of the expensive LR cargo barrier stuff and a crate leaves some of the space for shopping. Any reasonably priced suggestions? Also looking for a full boot liner - Springers like mud!

Since I'm still awaiting delivery and can't find accurate boot measurements anywhere can someone offer an opinion on whether this crate (B4) will fir in - particularly the depth (91cm):

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item--Car-...tes---dogs

Post #81493 22nd Nov 2010 11:51 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

ours is 53cm deep and 60 high and almost fills the space its just a spare one not tapered to fit At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #81500 22nd Nov 2010 12:08 pm
twodogs

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Try www.transk9.com not cheap but very good.

When you change car you can sell it and almost
get your money back !

Post #81534 22nd Nov 2010 6:48 pm
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

Only 53cm deep doesn't sound a lot - is that really all that will fit with the rear seats up?

I've seen the TransK9 boxes but think they are too heavy duty, even if they are considered the best. My lad likes to be able to look around even when in his crate and the TK9 crates are hard to see out of.

Anyone use the Bootbuddy in a Freelander 2?

http://www.boot-buddy.com/products/High-SidedBootBuddy.asp

Post #81536 22nd Nov 2010 7:44 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Flippin heck! That's expensive for a bit of plastic it looks like you have to bend yourself! We were going to get one of the custom made bootliners to protect the boot from our dog but in the end, just bought a cheapie rubber mat from Halfords. My wife's argument was it's a Land Rover, so it shouldn't need anything to protect it.
We looked at: http://www.hatchbag.co.uk/ and http://www.rhinouk.co.uk/index_files/Page320.htm. Both were made to order to your specifications. Would probably have bought the hatchbag one myself.

Post #81544 22nd Nov 2010 10:06 pm
EMJ

United Kingdom 
Any further information on this topic appreciated

I have the same dilemma as the original poster with regard to the dimensions of the freelander 2 bootspace with back seats up.

We have a Freelander 2 on order but while we are waiting, I wanted to organise dog safety. We have a young, but growing setter pup who would be straight out the boot door the minute it was opened so I am keen to get something sorted on the restraint front. Have been considering the cargo barrier and the cargo divider, even with the fitted load space protector but I cannot find verified dimensions.

I know there is approximately 1 metre across the boot (side to side) between the two wheel arches because I measured this myself with a tape measure when we viewed the car. What I simply cannot find out is how long the boot is from the bottom of the back seats to the boot door. I know that the back seats are slightly reclined so there is a regress under these. This is precious space to those of us with a long dog and a standard non-purpose-built cage would waste this space.

I also cannot find out the actual dimensions of Landrover's advertised accessory, the Cargo Divider that looks, from the picture, that it is custom-built to fit right back into this space. I know that it divides the boot in two halves so have a rough idea of how wide it is. But how long is it at its longest part (beginning below the back seat to the boot door, as measured along the floor)?

Landrover online accessories brochure say the Cargo divider is 1550 mm long. This would be fine, but the dimension of the load space protector (which I thought is supposed to completely cover the boot floor space) is stated as 1220 mm. Therefore, the cargo divider is apparently 300mm longer than the load space protector!

The height of the cargo divider is given as 80mm. I make that a few inches high and wonder what kind of cargo it is meant to hold!!

So what to do? If I order the 3 products from Landrover, they will charge me postage on each item. If they don't fit, I will probably have to lose the cost of the original postage (not cheap) and have to pay to post them back.

I have even phoned Landrover themselves. I spoke to a very sympathetic woman in their customer relationship department but she has tried but is unable to help. She even asked Landrover technical department and they apparently don't know. Landrover therefore suggested (oh yes they did), that I join a landrover forum and ask there.

So, here I am.

The most simple solution would be an answer to two simple questions 1) what length is the cargo divider as measured from the base of the back seat to the boot door (along the floor) and 2) anyone know what size of dog would comfortably fit in this cargo divider?

I could then let Landrover technical department know!

Thank you.

Post #84991 21st Dec 2010 1:39 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

As i run a dog sports club (Flyball) http://www.rookyracers.co.uk and have 2 Border Collies, I can tell you that the boot space of an FL2 is pretty small, even with just 1 dog, if you put a crate in the back it reduces the space further.

However, Barjo does solution for everyone. Either a custom made crate, or, as I did, a tailgate barrier with door. You can buy a 1/2 height rear seat barrrier (clips to head rests) on the web for about £40 to stop the muts climbing over into the back seats.

Barjo http://www.barjo.co.uk/products/tailgate-guards

My 2:-

Click image to enlarge

BTW - I dont have the FL2 anymore but thats another story ...

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Chris

Post #84993 21st Dec 2010 1:55 pm
EMJ

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the quick response. I also have an old girl of a border collie who will be looking to fit in the boot space as well but she is much better behaved than the setter! That is why I had wondered about the cargo divider space for the pup and then the collie could be loose in the other half. I already have a head-rest-mounted dog guard and this has proved really useful in being easy to fit quickly into whichever car.

I did also notice your posting about the Barjo tail gate and have checked out their website. This would be a perfect solution in conjunction with a simple dog guard and load protector. One thing I did worry about was the fitting process - do you know if this means having to drill holes in the floor and roof to fit the gate? What on earth would that do to the warranty do you think?

Thanks again

Post #84998 21st Dec 2010 2:27 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

EMJ wrote:
One thing I did worry about was the fitting process - do you know if this means having to drill holes in the floor and roof to fit the gate? What on earth would that do to the warranty do you think?

Thanks again

The tailgate guard is fitted using 4 brackets. 2 of these are flat plates that are rivetted to the removable floor base (covering the spare tyre). Each flat plate has a bolt on it that mates up with a plate and wingnut on the tailgate guard. The 2 top fittings are to the side at the top and are mated by wing nuts to rivetted flat plates on the boot speaker fascia - although you can fix them wherever you want them.

To remove the tailgate guard, all you do is remove the 4 wingnuts. Takes less than a minute! Thumbs Up Chris

Post #85001 21st Dec 2010 2:38 pm
EMJ

United Kingdom 

OK thanks Chris, but I presume that this will be a garage fitting job? Will check this out further.
Thanks again

Post #85004 21st Dec 2010 2:49 pm
charliefoxtrot999

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

I looked at lots of products having found the FL2 boot alot smaller tham that of our previous xc90 and dog pod crate.
Eventually went for LR full height barrier off this site and a new Barjo tailgate.
No problem fitting and doesnt rattle.Excellent for hot weather with padlocks on the door no worries to leave the tailgate door open for ventilation. 2010 HSE Galway Green auto GONE

Post #85078 21st Dec 2010 10:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1