Home > General > Detailing workshop / meet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nickmak

United Kingdom 
Detailing workshop / meet

Hi guys,

I'm from the Disco3.co.uk forum.. well, moved there 7 months ago after my brief ownership of an FL2... Anyway, as mentioned on this thread, http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic58156.html.

Taking npink's advice, I'm trying to gauge the number of people interested in attending a detailing workshop somewhere in London (Potentially LPR or somewhere nearby) tentatively on the 18th December. The workshop would also most likely last for 4-6 hours for a brief introduction into detailing and winter paint protection. I'm currently contacting my detailing supplier to sponsor some products for this workshop, but it really depends on the number of people who would like to join. I'm guessing the cost would be between £15-20 for each member to help offset the cost of paying for the venue and detailing supplies (if any).

If any of you would like to know what I'm talking about, please visit my blog at http://maksimumdetail.wordpress.com/.

If you are interested and can make it, please leave your name here on this thread or drop me a PM. If not, you can email me at the address in my profile!

Regards,
Nick Thumbs Up

Last edited by nickmak on 25th Nov 2010 10:32 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #81394 21st Nov 2010 3:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver

Hi Nick,

I'm very interested in this but i'm not sure if i'm able to do much with my FL2 due to the GARDX treatment?!

what will the day roughly entail?

Many thanks,

Steve. Very Happy

Post #81401 21st Nov 2010 6:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Shame it down south, could be a good day, meeting people and learning a few things Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #81403 21st Nov 2010 7:05 pm
nickmak

United Kingdom 

stownrow wrote:
Hi Nick,

I'm very interested in this but i'm not sure if i'm able to do much with my FL2 due to the GARDX treatment?!

what will the day roughly entail?

Many thanks,

Steve. Very Happy

Hi Steve,

I had the GardX treatment on my Disco that came free when I purchased the car... The treatment is not as good as it says on the tin honestly. I removed the treatment to reveal that the car was still full of grime and traffic film underneath. Even if your FL2 is brand new there will still be contaminants in-grained into the paintwork when you picked it up. The treatment IMHO is next to useless after a week. You can see what I mean from my blog post: http://maksimumdetail.wordpress.com/catego...swift-sz4/.

What I might cover that day would be:

1. Washing and Drying - This is the simplest bit but I'll present certain techniques I've learnt to limit any swirling of your paintwork while washing.
2. Claying - We'll go through the claying process and what it does really, and remove the fear of doing this rather strange process... Well when people see me do it they always stop and ask why I'm playing with Play Doh... Big Cry
3. Polishing - We'll go through the different types of polishing available, mainly filler-based polish like Autoglym's Super Resin Polish, and compound-type polishes. This will not be a T-Cut session as the polishes used are more specialized and most cannot be found on your high street. We'll also run through polishing with a Dual-Action Polisher which I own and possibly a Rotary Polisher if I can get my hands on one soon enough.
4. Sealing and LSP - In this part we'll go through the difference between a sealant and a wax. I'll be going over some of the waxes that are good and which are not so good.
5. Maintenance - We'll go over how to keep your paintwork in top condition without going over the top!

This is the tentative plan. I'll come out with something more detailed when I can get things sorted. I hope to show everyone that it really isn't so difficult to get great results that last much longer than whatever treatments that we've been sold by our dealers!

Nick Thumbs Up

Post #81414 21st Nov 2010 7:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nickmak

United Kingdom 

npinks wrote:
Shame it down south, could be a good day, meeting people and learning a few things

Nice avatar though! Thumbs Up

Post #81415 21st Nov 2010 7:52 pm
northstar

Maybe interested.

Post #81424 21st Nov 2010 8:51 pm
mole

United Kingdom 

Sounds interesting. Would love to come but would't be able to confirm until the week before. mole

Post #81694 24th Nov 2010 7:51 pm
nickmak

United Kingdom 

Hi guys,

The revised workshop is here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic58156.html

Regards,
Nick Thumbs Up

Post #81831 25th Nov 2010 10:31 pm
nickmak

United Kingdom 

Bump! Thumbs Up

Post #82041 28th Nov 2010 1:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1