Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > this cold weather has frozen my......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
this cold weather has frozen my......

caravan toilet flush Embarassed

I emptied my water heater and fully drained the pipes the last time i used the caravan, but i thought i was going to do my toilet system on my last trip, but due to doing my back in i didn't go Neutral

Then whilst chatting to my dad about his c'van, it suddenly dawned on me Evil or Very Mad

been out to check on it today and its totally frozen about 1/2 full flush system, even though i emptied the water system those pipes feel frozen too

I guess its a full check of the system when its thawed out for any leaks, I just hope no damage is caused.

When its thawed a little, i'm going to bring it home, link up the electric and put the heaters on low to slowly defrost it, I could put the gas heater on at the storage site but its against regs etc

yes CG, i'm sure whats going through your mind will defrost it a little quicker, but i want to sell my caravan in the next year or two Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #83211 6th Dec 2010 3:56 pm
EYorkshire

Now you've got me worried, I drained mine down at the end of October and completely forgot about the loo. If only you hadn't started this thread I would have been blissfully unaware of the potential catastrophe that could be awaiting my little van in the corner of the farmers field. Sad It will now have to wait until the spring, what's done is done.

By the way, my farmers a nice farmer Thumbs Up

Post #83215 6th Dec 2010 4:07 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have gone through all the same thoughts as you, whats done is done, just have to wait and see if any damage occurs

used to park my c'van on a farmers field, till he decided to stop it, and had a few problems there, attempted theft, never cut the grass around it, and worst of all a rat making a nest in the front locker, luckly it only chewed the cleaning stuff and not the gas pipes etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #83220 6th Dec 2010 4:52 pm
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Can I suggest you put some windscreen deicer in the top tank right away as any slight thaw will allow the mixture to mix in. If the tank was not full you may be lucky DO NOT use heat to thaw it as the expansion and contraction rates will be different. Ambient temperatures allow everything to gradually expand, applied heat will upset the balance.
I always use screenwash liquid (undiluted) in the top and bottom tanks just to be sure. If you have an internal freshwater pump make sure the filter is drained as well as everything. I didn't last year and at £12 each they are expensive and very messy if they crack. Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #83222 6th Dec 2010 5:00 pm
EYorkshire

My mistake, for simplicity I called it "a farmers field", he laid down a road and spread out some hardcore over about 1/2 an acre and squeezes as many vans on it as he can. It is a bit out in the wilds but it has a locked entrance to the field and a yappy dog that lives outside.
I must admit to not bothering with the van from October till spring when I then bring it home for it's annual clean up. Next year is Scottish borders, Gower peninsula and near Oxford.

EDIT: Thanks from me also Ralph, I will go over this weekend and do as you say.

Post #83225 6th Dec 2010 5:12 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

thanks ralph Thumbs Up My dad suggested it too, but i was worried about the deicer rotting rubber seals etc, but i suppose it doesn't do that on my car so it should be fine

I'll pop there tomorrow and give it a good dose Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #83227 6th Dec 2010 5:21 pm
Ralphk

Don't worry about the rubber seals or anything else as I have used it for the last 30 years. Anyway thetford seal lubricant sprayed into the toilet gland will look after that side of the issue. Just spray it on and operate the gland a few times.
Has someone paid off CG to not make comment on these posts or is there a contract out on him, (at last, as I did contribute!) Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #83261 6th Dec 2010 8:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the advice Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #83264 6th Dec 2010 8:38 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Anymore tales of caravan woes? I'm all ears Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #83439 7th Dec 2010 10:22 pm
Ralphk

There was I thinking you had deserted us! Some bl Censored dy hope! Crying or Very sad Whistle Ralph

Post #83444 7th Dec 2010 10:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1