5%  [2]
Total Votes: 35

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Winter Tyre Poll

Ok it's still summer but I thought I would check these out rather than leave it until the last minute.

In the hideous snow last year, I showed no signs of getting into difficulty with the Goodyear Wrangler All Weather tyres but curiosity got the better of me.

I rang a few tyre places today and the cheapest quote for a set of 4 Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme was £600 including fitting and VAT Shocked

Fair enough there may be cheaper out there but they do seem a bit expensive. So I put it to the vote, what do you guys think of winter tyres? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #107463 11th Jul 2011 8:38 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

grow a set!! unless you live in somewhere that requires them! what a faff changing your tyres and storing the spare set too

Post #107464 11th Jul 2011 8:41 pm
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

The winter of 2009/10 i had conti cross contact UHP tyres on they were marked M&S and they were poo in the snow. So i brought a set of Kumho Izen RV KC15 winter tyres, What a difference they made to the FL2 Far better breaking and cornering than any M&S tyre. I will now only fit Proper winter tyres from now on oh and they cost £430 for the 4 of them Thumbs Up

Post #107471 11th Jul 2011 9:28 pm
taztastic

England 

Aside of the obvious safety benefit, I will cover around 25k a year, tyres will be changed pretty often.

Will using Winter tyres mean changing tyres less often, or will the winter rubber wear out more quickly simply leaving me with a bigger bill over 4 years?

Paul

Post #107473 11th Jul 2011 9:44 pm
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

No your summer tyres will last longer as they are only on the car for around half the time, Same with the winter ones they should last you around 3 to 4 winters Thumbs Up

Post #107476 11th Jul 2011 10:20 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I'll stick with my M+S tyres, never had any problems with them either on the FL2 or either of the Disco's, got me everywhere I wanted to go Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #107480 12th Jul 2011 7:03 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Standard Wranglers got me through the worst winter for years - OK I did have a couple of interesting outings but all considered they did very well - not keen on sheet ice.
I do have the option of Goodyear MT, which were fitted for several months - after the worst of the snow!
These cope very well with flooded roads and loose snow, but are too noisey/exteme for most peoples taste.

Our Scandanavian friends can justify the outlay, and those with 2WD, but the standard tyres work well enough in conjunction with 4WD for the conditions in the UK.

When it comes to swapping the wheels, lugging 5 heavy wheels from the back yard, swapping them over and lugging the ones you have just taken off back into the back yard will take you a lot longer than 10 minutes. At this point you start to feel sorry for tyre fitters. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #107503 12th Jul 2011 1:05 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

I see it like this:

- your summers will last longer so combined thy do not cost all that much more if you user then 1 set while you have the car. Beying able to work 1 day more due to having them saves the extra cost as I'm selfemployed.
- the winters do make it safer to drive so saving you 1 accident could save you the excess of many a set.

My brother too fitted his first set ever last year and was impressed with the difference. He's a convert to now.
I'm not sure yet but they seem to not wear as fast as summer tyres too...

PS "winter tyres" do not only work on snow, also in excess rainfall they give you more grip.

Post #107505 12th Jul 2011 1:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alex_pescaru

Andy131 wrote:
Our Scandanavian friends can justify the outlay, and those with 2WD, but the standard tyres work well enough in conjunction with 4WD for the conditions in the UK.

A proper winter tire is not for traction problems as it is important for braking...
With a decent traction control the car will start to roll as you've all see that happens with FL2.
Because of the performant 4x4 system the car starts to move even without a proper winter tire, creating a false impression of safety...
But when it comes to stop a 2 tons car, the laws of physics tells us that not even the mother of 4x4 will help you, because it can't and has nothing to do with braking...
So, guys, equip your car with proper winter tires for those centimeters that count when braking and can make the difference between joy and sadness...

Post #107508 12th Jul 2011 1:57 pm
trevd01

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Re: Winter Tyre Poll

The Doctor wrote:
I rang a few tyre places today and the cheapest quote for a set of 4 Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme was £600 including fitting and VAT Shocked

Fair enough there may be cheaper out there but they do seem a bit expensive.

At your quoted prices, they DO seem expensive. I paid £109 each, fitted and balanced last December. (235/65 x17)

Currently £115 at place I bought them from

http://www.clickontyres.com/ Trevor

'60 reg SD4 XS (long gone!)

Post #107519 12th Jul 2011 5:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1