Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > AFS - Adaptive Headlights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

AFS - Adaptive Headlights

Only for those of you who have adaptive headlights fitted - or - those of you who are LR FL2 technically experienced on this subject.

Just had her Ladyship's MY2010 FL2 first annual service done. I had listed a number of items in addition to the service that needed attending to and sadly most were over looked, or, not fix even though they said they had. I've raised my surprise and dissatisfaction with the Dealer Principle immediately as I would like these matters concluded before I use her FL2 to drive to the UK next Friday 19th Nov. (I cannot use my own vehicle as it hardly has any luggage capacity for this journey).

So to the adaptive headlights: when the FL2 was collected new a year ago (Nov 20th 2010) the AFS was demonstrated to her - when switched on they would instantly orientate themselves in their housing by "twitching" to all 4 points of the compass N_S_E_W. In mid October the AFS amber warning light illuminated on the dash. The headlights remain on.

Upon referring to the Owners Manual it states that the AFS is now locked in a central position and you should proceed to a LR service centre for repair. So as the headlights still provided light we left this matter until its annual service.

Upon collecting the FL2 the other day the service engineer stated that the AFS was fixed - all okay. Latter that evening ready for her to drive out I noticed that the headlights did NOT "twitch" i.e orientate themselves the moment they were switched on. I have now checked this a number of times and they definitely do not orientate as described by the dealer when she bought the car.

So my question is: Do your adaptive headlights orientate when first switched on:?: Or are they stone dead still Question

Exclamation Of course I am NOT referring to the slight flicker of the Xenon gas as it ignites when you switch the AFS on - it is the actual movement of the headlight unit moving approximately 2° left-right-up-down. Exclamation

Feedback - Experiences - Solutions, would be greatly appreciated as I'm night driving next Friday 800kms. Thanks.

Post #80605 13th Nov 2010 11:06 am
Lookers Park Royal

Yes they should self-set (the twitching). We've not got one on the fleet at the moment to check but IIRC it will only do it once and IIRC it is not necessarily when the lights are switched on but when the ignition is switched on. i.e. If you switch on/off (lights or ignition) then it may not do it each time, however it certainly should if you start the engine from a prolonged period with the lights on.

If I spot one with Adaptive Headlights then I'll check and report back.

James Thumbs Up

Post #80608 13th Nov 2010 11:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
athelstan

James
What did I once report on here: one of LPR's strengths is their communication.

Thank you for your informative feedback. I'll go out and follow the "ignition" routine to check for twitching. I'm fortunate this morning to be able to do so as her ladyship had to operate on a 8mth young baby at 4am this morning and has only recently got home and has gone straight to bed - bless her.

Post #80609 13th Nov 2010 12:09 pm
athelstan

James
1: FL2 has been parked for approximately 3hrs.
2: Before switching on the ignition I did a fuse check: 3 fuses relate to the AFS all located in the engine compartment fuse box - F38 r/h lamp, F44 l/h lamp, F43 afs leveling control - all fuses intact.
3: Then I proceeded to switch on the ignition, engine running, then switched on the headlights - 12:40hrs CET.
4: NO TWITCHING Twisted Evil

What next can one check before politely advising that the AFS is another item that they said they fixed on the service and they appear not to have done so. Dealer service department closed until Monday.

Post #80612 13th Nov 2010 1:03 pm
athelstan

James
Re ran the test Sunday morning (FL2 at rest overnight a good 10hrs) followed the procedure as before: ignition on, engine running, then headlights on. Result again, NO TWITCHING.

So unless David's experience tells him otherwise - our AFS is locked in a central position no longer adaptive.

Post #80662 14th Nov 2010 1:57 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Hmmmm,

Have adaptives on the D3, only notice the "twitching" when I've had the headlight unit out to adjust between UK & EU driving, never noticed it at any other time.
The only time a warning light came on was when the little lever inside the headlight was jammed against the internal metal frame of the headlight, but that was an easy fix.

Do your headlights still move from side to side when turning the steering wheel Question

Can't remember if the lights "twitched" when the ignition was first turned on or if it's when the lights are turned on via the switch Confused ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #80667 14th Nov 2010 5:54 pm
ad210358

England 

One of my lads had a Focus with adaptive headlights, on switching the ignition the eyeball would rise up and down to find its position.

Post #80668 14th Nov 2010 6:09 pm
athelstan

Dave wrote:
Hmmmm,

Have adaptives on the D3, only notice the "twitching" when I've had the headlight unit out to adjust between UK & EU driving, never noticed it at any other time.
The only time a warning light came on was when the little lever inside the headlight was jammed against the internal metal frame of the headlight, but that was an easy fix.

Do your headlights still move from side to side when turning the steering wheel Question

Can't remember if the lights "twitched" when the ignition was first turned on or if it's when the lights are turned on via the switch Confused

Dave
I've tried both methods of switching the lights on, as James suggested with engine running first, and without engine running - same result - headlights provide illumination but do not check their coordinates first i.e. twitch. (as they always did until last October).

I'll check tomorrow the internal lever as you referred to above being jammed tomorrow. Thanks for your feedback - appreciated.

Post #80680 14th Nov 2010 8:27 pm
athelstan

ad210358 wrote:
One of my lads had a Focus with adaptive headlights, on switching the ignition the eyeball would rise up and down to find its position.

ad210358
Yes that's exactly what the FL2 eyeballs used to do - compass coordination twitching - up_down_left-right.

Post #80681 14th Nov 2010 8:30 pm
Lookers Park Royal

I hope I'm not wrong Embarassed . As mentioned IIRC they do self check/level. Checked a RR today and it twitches.

James Thumbs Up

Post #80682 14th Nov 2010 8:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Have someone stand in front of the car to see what happens when you first turn the ignition on without starting the engine and without the lights on.

IIRC I had the wife stand in front after I had reset the beam angle and she said that they "danced" about before settling down.

There certainly isn't any "twitching" or "dancing" of the headlights with the engine running and then switching on the headlights.

Perhaps the FL2 is different to the D3 but can't check as the wife's doesn't have xenon. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #80683 14th Nov 2010 8:35 pm
athelstan

Dave wrote:
Have someone stand in front of the car to see what happens when you first turn the ignition on without starting the engine and without the light on.

Yes - testing routine has always been a two person job - one in and one in front. As I said - engine running, engine off, the results the same - no twitching.

The mystery deepens.

Post #80685 14th Nov 2010 8:41 pm
athelstan

Lookers Park Royal wrote:
I hope I'm not wrong Embarassed . As mentioned IIRC they do self check/level. Checked a RR today and it twitches. James Thumbs Up

Thanks for checking with RR, however it has different adaptive headlamp system altogether. FL2 AFS is the runt of the technical litter - yesterday's system...... FL2 tracking with steering wheel movement is hardly perceptible when the AFS is working properly, at least on her ladyship's. Here in CH it is a GBP1,150 extra. If only it gave 1150% extra night vision performance.

New model Jaguar XJ adaptive headlight is superb - really lights up the side of the road and tracks very visibly indeed with steering wheel movement. How do I know - had one on a week's test - I may treat myself to a birthday present as its fast approaching. But if I did I'm not inclined to by it from our Jaguar/LR dealer following last Thursday's performance.

Oh and if you are wrong re FL2's AFS twitching - no problem - at least you've offered suggestions which is more than the LR dealer here has so far Twisted Evil

Post #80687 14th Nov 2010 8:57 pm
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Mine twitch Smile so yes they should.
Put your car against a wall and you should see the "dance" Smile
Also just turning the steeringwheel when the car is parked will not work. The car has to be rolling for the AFS to work.
I always put my lights on and than start the car. That way I don't have to turn the dial through the parklights to get lights in my instruments. FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #80689 14th Nov 2010 9:23 pm
athelstan

redlabel wrote:
Mine twitch Smile so yes they should.
Put your car against a wall and you should see the "dance" Smile
Also just turning the steeringwheel when the car is parked will not work. The car has to be rolling for the AFS to work.
I always put my lights on and than start the car. That way I don't have to turn the dial through the parklights to get lights in my instruments.

redlabel
Thanks for the confirmation re your AFS.

True - just turning the steering wheel on a parked FL2 does not demonstrate the adaptive facility. However, just parking the FL2 against a wall can lead to a false test result. Caution should be exercised.

Unless you can actual see the headlight unit physically twitch, the "dance" you see reflected on the wall may well be only the initial ignition of the xenon gas in the unit, and not the secondary action of orientation of the units coordinates. For a 100% reliable result use two people during the text - one in and one in front, or, park in front of a large mirror window.

Post #80700 15th Nov 2010 8:31 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>