« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Is this normal ? - LR Lewes think it is
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Quote:
One of the things you learn for the HGV test is that a diesel truck should never be allowed to coast in neutral

It caught me out when I set off at 5 in the morning not so long ago, with a trailer with another car on, towing a good 1.5 - 2 tonnes. Rolling down the street to a junction, as soon as I took my foot off the throttle the transmission disconnected and rev's returned to idle so it was freewheeling, was slightly unnerving! Auto's do it supposedly for emissions (something else that's a crap idea) purposes when they're clap cold, but it was a bit interesting for a split second! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #80588 12th Nov 2010 10:48 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

mcphersonstrut wrote:
Awwwwww EV, always with the negative vibes......you must like it a tiny bit as you've kept it - and surely it does a great job of advertising your valeting business Thumbs Up

I do like it when I,m not thinking of the niggles that don't exist or they simply arn't interested in according to dealers etc.

ad210358 wrote:

EV you love it on here, that's why you have'nt sold it yet Thumbs Up

The forum is very good, it's the service from the dealers & Landrover that I am miffed about. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #80597 13th Nov 2010 12:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

I must admit I am with Ev here, I love the FL2 so long as I dont think about the niggles, and the useless bl00dy stealers.

LR Lewis are a waste of space, they insist the high revs when coasting is normal - but could not explain, or be bother to investigare why it didnt happen ALL the time..
Nor could they explain the almost stalling it would periodically do.
Oh - nor would they change the worn seat belt bits on the B Post - they wanted me to pay for it.

At least they collected , and returned the car for free.

not took keen to get a ECY update as I have great fuel economy
Just drove Tunbridge wells --> Brighton --> Coventry --> Chigwell --> Tunbridge Wells and
got a total of 36.5 mpg average according to the onboard puter, which agrees near enough with my calculations.

Happy days. 

Post #80676 14th Nov 2010 7:49 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I would reconsider your view of ECU updates. I currently get 40mpg+ on longer runs.

Post #80725 15th Nov 2010 11:49 am
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

AndyT wrote:
I would reconsider your view of ECU updates. I currently get 40mpg+ on longer runs.

possibly - I did mention /ask for a EC update at LR Lewis - they refused saying there was no need. 

Post #80764 15th Nov 2010 6:55 pm
The Valeter

AndyT wrote:

I have never ever got anywhere near that Censored The best I ever got was on a run to Gaydon at 39.9 MPG & for about 10 miles it hit 40.1 then back down.
On my recent run to Blackpool all I got was at very best 37.1 - rubbish given my V6 petrol Tourer returned 37.5 MPG on a motorway.
Again I complained about this right from day 1 but was told normal & to add to that when I was with it at the dealer the salesman I used said it will be lower for the first 7000 miles though was never told that when ordering strangely!! It's now on 8300 & the same.
But nothing is wrong with it they say!!

Went on a long run last night round the M25 & down the M4 - I didn't reset the trip so don't know whether this figure can be regarded as accurate but all I got was 33MPG. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Last edited by The Valeter on 15th Nov 2010 7:00 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #80765 15th Nov 2010 6:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

pcheaven wrote:
AndyT wrote:

possibly - I did mention /ask for a EC update at LR Lewis - they refused saying there was no need.

That sounds like a dealer that needs dropping.

Post #80766 15th Nov 2010 6:59 pm
The Valeter

pcheaven wrote:

Oh - nor would they change the worn seat belt bits on the B Post - they wanted me to pay for it.
Happy days.

Funnily enough this is probably the only thing I have ever got done (drivers side). (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #80768 15th Nov 2010 7:04 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Just tried slipping my auto into neutral on the way home tonight and at various different speeds and under different conditions (ie breaking, rolling down hill, slowing naturally) it would consistently drop to around 1000 - 1100 revs and then gradually drop to idle (750rpm)after 10 seconds or so. It would then stay like this until I placed it back into drive.
So with that in mind it could suggest an ecu problem or a dodgy sensor.

Incidentally on a run in my auto recently I easily achieved 36+mpg doing 70 / 80 over approx 200 - 300 miles. This has now dropped to an average of around 31mpg over 600m with a lot of short runs <2m , offroading and cold starts but I am still pretty chuffed with the mpg Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #80790 15th Nov 2010 9:53 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

MPG depends on a lot of factors, mainly how you drive it, but tyre type, tyre pressure, what revs you change gear at (including auto box) etc etc.

As has been said before. If you want fuel economy DON'T buy a Land Rover. They are not economical vehicles, they never have been or ever will be.

But, I can get 32mpg out of the D3 on a long run @ 70/80mph on the motorway and considering the size & weight of it I'm pleased with that Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #80793 15th Nov 2010 10:05 pm
The Valeter

Dave wrote:

As has been said before. If you want fuel economy DON'T buy a Land Rover. They are not economical vehicles, they never have been or ever will be.

I think we would all agree with this but the problem is Landrover made a statement in the selling of the Freelander 2 that it is the most fuel efficient Landrover ever produced & when they quoted me the figures I said to the saleman that it would be more ecconomical than my MG ZR-Express works vehicle but the reality is it is a lot worse. This made me very annoyed as it was one of the main factors in my decision making.

I drive I think quite sedately as in never thrash when cold & hardly ever thrash my cars anyway, don't let revs go silly before changing, use gears to change down sometimes, don't do BMW driver type motorway driving (foot to the floor on accelerator then same action on brake pedal when you catch up with white van man) etc. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #80810 15th Nov 2010 11:11 pm
ou toppie

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Good day
My 2007 td4 manual started to do exactly what charrodine describes with the revs ALL the time, but only started to do it after the second service when they also did a couple of recalls and updated the software. Complaints about it resulted in them saying it was part of the software update.

Fuel usage--- I regularly get 7.3 lts/ 100 kms on long runs.

Post #80870 16th Nov 2010 5:38 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Quote:

I think we would all agree with this but the problem is Landrover made a statement in the selling of the Freelander 2 that it is the most fuel efficient Landrover ever produced & when they quoted me the figures I said to the saleman that it would be more ecconomical than my MG ZR-Express works vehicle but the reality is it is a lot worse. This made me very annoyed as it was one of the main factors in my decision making.

It is Rolling Eyes

Exactly, he's a salesman and you fell for his patter Laughing  ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #80888 16th Nov 2010 9:33 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Fuuny you should mention the MG.
I still have a 53 reg R75 CDti (now for sale i might add) and my FL2 (manual) gives more or less the same MPG which rather suprised me.
I rarely get less than 40 and last week on a 90 mile run i averaged 52 MPG.
I'm more than happy; i'd be happy with 30 or so.

Post #80892 16th Nov 2010 9:50 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Quote:

I drive I think quite sedately as in never thrash when cold & hardly ever thrash my cars anyway, don't let revs go silly before changing, use gears to change down sometimes, don't do BMW driver type motorway driving (foot to the floor on accelerator then same action on brake pedal when you catch up with white van man) etc.

I find BMW's to be a better class of drivers these days Whistle although yet to find the indicator stalk Wink Think you'll find its the audi drivers and those in Black golfs are the new c Censored ks and that seem to be the fastest thing on a motorway Exclamation

As Dave said mpg is impacted by a lot of factors... for example IMHO deisels are pointless for anyone doing short trips as I think compared to a petrol a diesel will consume on avareage 50% more fuel untill it is warm!

As for LandRovers statetment that the Freelander is the most fuel effitient car yet, it is! but only in the same way that a ferrari california with stop start is their most fuel effitient car at 21mpg!!! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #80897 16th Nov 2010 10:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12