Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Terrain Response
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ticktock

Terrain Response

Posing a question, is a 'S' model upgradable to TR? Is it a simple matter of a switch and configuration or is there something under the bonnet? I mean it's just like a set computer programme dictating ABS etc.

A friend of mine with an 'S' asked me. I don't know I tried my one in his car and all four selections lit up. nothing on the dash, but that doesn't mean anything. The HDC and the DMC or whatever works fine. Anyway, that was enough of a result for him to buy the TR control. I suppose at worse, it can't do any harm. Brucie bonus if it does.

Post #79808 3rd Nov 2010 8:39 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

no it doesnt Confused At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #79810 3rd Nov 2010 8:43 pm
Ticktock

Useful reply CG, wouldn't like to expand and give us the benefit of your knowledge would you please?

Post #79814 3rd Nov 2010 9:06 pm
chicken george

not really but feel free to waste your time trying, its been tried before.

Also put in some heated seat buttons etc etc, they also wont work without the hidden stuff At work
At home

Post #79815 3rd Nov 2010 9:18 pm
Ticktock

Might have been tried before, but doesn't mean the theory is wrong. I mean ask a LR dealer if you can retro Cruise Control or Radio Steering Wheel Controls and they will say it isn't, but Offroad Essentials, Wiggs and the rest of them on the D3 forum can convert easily enough with the right equipment.

The TC is only a dial that allows you to obtain a preset of the ABS Traction Control, HDC etc. all of which the 'S' has. I grant you there may be some other hardware required or it may need configured, thats what I am asking. As for the actual TR dial, it's attached via a multi connector, with all the right wires and is identical to the GS one I have.

Reading a lot of the old posts on here, you'd be surprised what you can retro.

As for the heated seats, you can replace your old seats with new electric ones and they will work or so some of this web sites old posts say.

Post #79818 3rd Nov 2010 9:41 pm
chicken george

Im speaking from others experience, many have done the steering wheel controls and cruise control. none have managed the TR At work
At home

Post #79821 3rd Nov 2010 10:01 pm
Ticktock

Appreciate that, but you can see where I am coming from, it's only a 4 station preset dial, alredy has the hardware it controls and the wiring, how much more does it need? Probably need Lars and the relevent wiring diagramme.

Post #79823 3rd Nov 2010 10:08 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Ticktock,
Keep us all up dated, but I think It would be cheaper and easer to buy a GS model. Good luck with lots of head scratching,
I think you will need all the GS wiring harness, ecu, plus all the knob bell and whistles, etc. etc.. Thumbs Up

Post #79825 3rd Nov 2010 10:32 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

TR? You don't need it. Just learn how to drive the vehicle correctly cross country.

I did the LR Experience day with TR specifically switched off. No issues. This vehicle really is that good. We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #79829 3rd Nov 2010 11:10 pm
Ticktock

Yes, I know, I did a weeks course in a Defender and it's down to the driver, no issues with that. I am just interested to know if it can be done and I need a detailed wiring diagramme. Despite LR hype of TR, it's just a preset, just like a radio preset, nothing much more to it than that.

Post #79837 4th Nov 2010 12:49 am
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I had a look at the TR overview in the workshop manual.
TR depends on the following,
Engine management - Engine Control Module (ECM)
Transmission control - Transmission Control Module (TCM) (automatic transmission only)
Centre coupling control module
Brake system - Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)/Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)/Electronic Traction Control (ETC)/ Hill Descent Control (HDC) - ABS module

As you say control knob only provide the location that we select via CAN bus in to the above 4 systems and they work together to provide a specific TR setting. It also says if any of the 4 sub system fault is detected then TR as a whole is disabled and I assume when you plug in the control knob without necessary firmware/software to bind the whole system together, system simply ignores the TR controller.
Also when TR is fitted it will also have the so called hi-line instrument cluster, on lo-line instrument cluster there's no LCD display to display messages or TR settings, only warning lights.
I am not sure the S model you refers have Hi-line or lo-line instrument cluster. It also mentions that the CCF - Car Configuration File is saved in the CJB (Central Junction Box) with Instrument cluster having the backup so it's quite possible that there's a dependency on hi-line instrument cluster for TR to work.
Maybe if you install the TR knob and the hi-line cluster then with the necessary software and CCF update you could get it to work but as CJ says the time and money could go above GS model, after all when its time to sell its still counted as a S. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #79893 4th Nov 2010 9:22 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Don't need TR, mine's an S and it had no probs last year in the snow. Just doing the 1/2 day LR Experience is enough to teach you how to drive it properly without needing the assistance of TR. Defenders don't have TR and no-one would say they can't hack it off road.

Post #79894 4th Nov 2010 9:23 pm
Ticktock

Cheers Udash, what you say makes sense. I know of one or two people who can alter the CCF and software and in theory make it work if thats possible. I haven't discussed it yet and it may be something they would need to connect the car up to their computers and play about to tell. I would think that the instrument cluster is hi line. I can't see them producing a lo line one for the S model alone, although anything is possible.

Again no one is saying that TC is a better system to proper driver control, but as an exercise, it's an interesting concept. Maybe I am being over simplistic, but there is a reasonable possibility I am not. I daresay there are one or two on this site that if the TC could be activated, would be quite happy with a S and a couple of plus packs over a GS.

Anyway, it will probably take me a few weeks to organise a trip to the CCF people, but will update you.

Post #79901 4th Nov 2010 10:44 pm
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

the new s comes as std with terrain response now,ive had a s and now a gs e,and terrain response does make a difference,the one reason i went for a gs second time round was of terrain response,i drive a lot on open mountains and fields,which like last tue were soaking wet,i dont class it as hard off roading,but very demanding for grip on slippery uphill treks,im more confident in my gs than i was in the s fl2.wheelspin is much less in the gs on ice/grass setting and same on mud/ruts.ive got stuck on level wet grass,with loads of wheel spin,in ths s.If like most of fl2 driver this dont really matter,the s fl2 will be great when the snow falls,and thats the only surface they ever drive on and tarmac. Thumbs Up Current: Freelander 2 GS, Orkney Grey, Factory fit privacy glass, design pack and Clearview pack. Almond Leather ,rear spoiler,rear mudflaps.my13.

Gone:Freelander 2, GS, "61"

Gone: Freelander 2, GS.e, "59"

Gone: Freelander 2, S, "08"

Post #79904 4th Nov 2010 11:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ticktock

Another reason to suspect all the stuff for the TR is there???????

Post #79932 5th Nov 2010 3:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>