Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
2x IPhones 1x iTunes

What the best way to manage them?

We'll share the music library and other apps if possible on the laptop

So what's the best way to set it up?

The wife will just have her normal email address so won't be needing anything like MobileMe Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #79845 4th Nov 2010 8:34 am
Ticktock

Interested to hear, because I am in the same boat and it ends up with the computer thinking the iphones are the sam one, so you end up with the same apps, contacts, music etc.

Post #79848 4th Nov 2010 8:55 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

If it's on a Mac. I'd see if adding a User will work. It's like 2 Macs in one!
That way your partner has their own computer settings etc. I'm sure you can even copy the music folder from your system to the new one.
See the attached link on how to set up a new user:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?pa...15191.html

I'm not at my computer at the moment else I would have listed how to do it step by step myself.

Last edited by AiiEEX on 4th Nov 2010 10:16 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #79853 4th Nov 2010 9:58 am
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Setup some Playlists suitable for each phone. synch only the Playlists - even if it is the entire library
Only Manually synch

I do this for an iPod and an iPhone from 1 iTunes. Chris

Post #79854 4th Nov 2010 10:14 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Ticktock wrote:
Interested to hear, because I am in the same boat and it ends up with the computer thinking the iphones are the sam one, so you end up with the same apps, contacts, music etc.

it was your post in the other thread that got me thinking, I just changed the wife's tariff to a iphone simplicity and giving her my old iphone 3gs.

Speaking with my brother he has two users setup on his Mac, so they both have different accounts, but the music/app folder is shared.

I sync via mobileMe, but my wife only gets Next/Boots/Mother & Baby emails so never really needs anything too elaborate.

I wonder if setting up another user on my laptop would help, second user, set up new outlook account, I presume itunes would be empty so set it up to share the mp3 drive i have

I guess i'll have to play about or buy a Mac Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #79856 4th Nov 2010 10:37 am
Ticktock

I can't get to grips with iTunes. One of the kids also has one too. It just leads to confusion. We all have Lady Gaga, we all have Ice Age 3, same apps. My wife cant delect apps. I can't be bothered as I dont use it much. I've had 3 quids worth of credit since 3 months. when anyone rings me, I have the ringer turned off and miss it. Likewise when I phone anyone like the wife or kids, I can't get them. I justify it by saying, if I ever break down....

Post #79861 4th Nov 2010 12:03 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've got 2 iPhones and 3 iPod touches all on the same account, no problem at all.

Each device has its own name and is recognised as such, just make sure that everything is set to manual otherwise applications start flying all over the place!! A handy thing (maybe) to do is set up a google calendar. It can be shared on both phones. You can then have a personal and joint calendar.

Something that Apple have done on iTunes 10 is allow sharing. You can have iTunes on two computers, (or user accounts) and one can share its content with the other. I haven't done it, and to be honest don't know how successful it will be. But that would allow each phone to have it's own iTunes to log to. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #79862 4th Nov 2010 12:12 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

As I mentioned in another thread recently. "works with iPod cannot be sure with iphone"

Hold down the 'shift' key "the key above left control if it's not marked shift" and start up iTunes in the usual way, but keep holding the shift key. You will see a window appear with 'Quit' 'choose library' or 'create library' if you already have a library, then you can choose which one to navigate too by looking for the 'iTunes library.itl' file in your iTunes folder which belongs to 'you'.
If you wish to create a library for the first time, simply choose a location where to put your itunes folder and navigate too it at the next start up.
iTunes will always default to the folder belonging to the last person who logged onto iTunes, so, if there are multiple users in the house you must tell them all to do the above start up proceedure and choose their own Library "iTunes library.itl file" each time or when they come to synch their iPod's they will end up with someone else's music, photos etc on their iPod.

If you have alreay been sharing libraries, details etc, then you can navigate to your personal folder in the way mentioned above, i.e look for the 'Itunes library.itl' file in your personal "jack ipod, Jill ipod" folder etc and start to customise iTunes for yourself, but make sure if you remove/delete albums photos details etc from your personal library that you don't select 'transfer to the recycle bin' or you will delete those files for everyone else too.

Once you have customised your own library and booted to it as mentioned above, make sure you check the content is yours before adding or deleting anything and once you have imported content, i.e ripped another CD to iTunes, other users can add that folder to their own library without having to rip the CD again simply by navigating too: file/add file to library/ and navigating too the album in the 'iTunes music folder' "usually in the my music folder but can be moved anywhere" and selecting all the tracks required by the artist.

Hope that makes sense and don't blame me if 'you' cock up!

Post #79863 4th Nov 2010 12:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1