Home > Off Topic > Old Freelander in France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Northsea Medic

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Old Freelander in France

Hi,
got a couple of questions that I hope the collective brains on here might be able to help with...
My brother has bought a place in the French alps and is considering buying an older vehicle to leave out there. He has mentioned a 1998 vintage (or thereabouts) freelander and wanted my thoughts. My only real knowledge of these is to avoid the 1.8 petrol but that is as far as it goes. So questions are:
1 - for around £1500 would an older freelander be worth considering or are there issues that would make it a bad choice?
2 - Would a similar age / price disco be a better option?
3 - does anyone have any idea about the legal position of taxing / MOT'ing in France?

There may well be more questions to come but hopefully this will get the ball rolling...

Cheers

Tim

Post #79596 31st Oct 2010 1:55 pm
gumdrop

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hi

I have a 1999 Freelander commercial which I use in the French Alps a lot - however it has had a new engine when the head gasket went. The vehicle has only done 70k - Watch out for the IRD as this goes as well and I bet will be nearly £1000 to replace now. We also had a facelift model (54 plate) which was a diesel which came out as well we changed this to the Freelander 2 when it was near 100k. Yes go for the diesel one and in my view if you can find a good one with around 50/60 K on the clock it will serve him well. There are many garages that will be able to keep it going !

Performance wise in the snow both were very good never needed snowchains and just ran them on standard tyres. If he intends to register on French plates then he will have a few hoops to jump through. He will need a Control Technique like an MoT see .. http://www.angloinfo.com/countries/france/ct.asp and these links give a view on the process http://www.frenchpropertylinks.com/essenti...rance.html & http://www.french-property.com/news/travel...r_france/. Much more info on the web just Google Registering a car in France, French Car insurance etc.

Out of interest where in the French Alps is he - I'm in Chatel. Cheers
Gumdrop aka Simon !
-------------------------------------------------
F2 HSE, auto, roof rails, steps, santorini black
Defender 50th
F1 1999, Commercial
Series 1 (1958)
Rebel Replica Series 1

Post #79599 31st Oct 2010 2:30 pm
Northsea Medic

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the swift reply - I'll be sure to pass this on to him. He has a place in Thollon so pretty close to you. Last time I was out there I was working in Morzine (93/94) and running a 1973 SIII. I got over to Chatel a couple of times. I gather the skiing in Thollon is very good but a little limited for more advanced skiers, he rates Bernex and also Morzine / Les Gets.
Are you living out there or is this a holiday home? I'm off in January with my family - will be in a Stornaway FL2 XS...

Post #79600 31st Oct 2010 2:50 pm
gumdrop

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Both - holiday home and a business - self catered accommodation check out www.chaletletadorne.co.uk - takes you to our facebook page - skiing and mountain biking and walking inn the summer - for anyone booking that's a forum member I will give 10% of the booked price to the forum - not bad for a Yorkshire man ! If anyone is interested PM please. Cheers
Gumdrop aka Simon !
-------------------------------------------------
F2 HSE, auto, roof rails, steps, santorini black
Defender 50th
F1 1999, Commercial
Series 1 (1958)
Rebel Replica Series 1

Post #79640 1st Nov 2010 11:34 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I'll have to remember that, i'm not booking on to my lads snowboarding trip for the start of next year

but me and another lad have chatted about doing a quick visit in the cars instead, if works and homelife plan out rightly for it Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #79641 1st Nov 2010 11:44 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1